LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 242 users in the forums

Jacob Cowing-WR-Arizona

Originally posted by Heroism:
Nothing against this dude specifically, but I hope the 49ers don't go back to tiny slot receivers. Jauan Jennings has changed my outlook on the slot position. Having a big slot is a massive advantage on the field. The overwhelming majority of nickel DBs are tiny, so having a bigger receiver that can straight up bully them is a huge advantage in the run game. Additionally, it's incredibly helpful to Brock since he's a shorter quarterback with really short arms. Being a hair under 6-1 with 29" arms, he doesn't always get a clean window to throw through or an optimal release point. There are plays every single game where the ball is going to come out a little higher or off target than preferred, and that's where having that big slot is so beneficial. How many times have did Jauan climb the ladder or snag away a contested pass this season for Brock? If they're serious about building around Brock, don't take away that strength.

The biggest need at receiver is speed on the outside. Someone that can take snaps at the XWR or ZWR and punish man coverage.

I think Cowing is exceptional in his route running ability, if you saw him at the Senor Bowl, he was getting open against everybody. Normally I'd be in the same boat in terms of wanting a bigger receiver but I think in the right offense he can be a nightmare matchup in the slot. He's definitely got the deep speed so you have to account for him down the field but he's going to make a killing on in the short passing game.

Because of the depth in this WR class, you might be able to get Cowing in the 4th round, at which point the value is tremendous.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I wonder if Shanny sees some Taylor Gabriel in Cowing. He definitely seems to be in that same mold.

edit damn, I just looked and their athletic profiles are virtually identical. A lot of fans think Taylor Gabriel played in the slot, but he actually played at Deebo's spot (ZWR) and did the bulk of the quick game stuff. Maybe Shanny wants to get back to a player that can do all that with more speed to threaten horizontally and vertically from that spot. 👀
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 17, 2024 at 1:45 PM ]

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/03/11/jacob-cowing-nfl-draft-interview
JM: You're one of the best route runners in the class. What are some things you do to work on that aspect of your game?

Jacob Cowing: I love to do sand workouts. That plays a big role in my ability as a route-runner. I think those sand workouts are the reason behind my excellent change of direction. I can change and contort my body as needed when running routes.

I get my feet in certain places that allow me to come out of my breaks with ease. Those sandpit workouts translate to the field in that regard. It leads to on-field explosion for me. If I can be quick in the sand, I can definitely be quick on the field.That's one thing I use to improve as a route-running technician. I'm always working on getting my hips lower as well. Feet placement is a big one too. I can always continue to get better with my feet. That's how you create separation.

JM: Does Jacob Cowing have a favorite route to run?

Jacob Cowing: I would probably say a post-corner or a choice route. I like those a lot. Those are probably my top two routes. With that post-corner, I can threaten you vertically. They think I'm trying to take the top off. Being able to sell the post, they're going to overplay it. That's when I snap across underneath them for a big 25-yard play, or maybe even an explosive touchdown.

With that choice route, I can break inside, outside, or I can sit it down. There are so many different things I can do with a good choice route. That opens up my game a little bit more. If it's man coverage, it's difficult for the defensive back to understand what my intentions are. They have a tough time deciphering where I'm planning to go.
I'll take this dude on day 3 vs Worthy in the 1st all day. Almost had him in my mock.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 17, 2024 at 1:46 PM ]
He is on the 49ers radar and has a Top 30 visit because he has return skills besides receiving skills. The 49ers need a returner to replace McCloud. Look for them to add a WR or DB who can return punts and kicks early on the third day of the draft.
Originally posted by OCT111981:
He is on the 49ers radar and has a Top 30 visit because he has return skills besides receiving skills. The 49ers need a returner to replace McCloud. Look for them to add a WR or DB who can return punts and kicks early on the third day of the draft.

Dude needs to show he can catch the football before I put him back to field punts. He got better over time, but 33 drops in college. %16.2 drop rate in his first two years. And not sure why he wasnt used as a punt returner in college, especially at UTEP. I dont think they have a lot of 4.3 jitterbugs there. So I'd be wanting to chat with the special teams coordinators of those two schools.
I hope they keep sleeping on him and he falls right in our lap.

How anyone sees Worthy as a better prospect over this guy I'll never know. The tape from the very beginning showed Cowing is a better football player, not just an athlete.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Dude needs to show he can catch the football before I put him back to field punts. He got better over time, but 33 drops in college. %16.2 drop rate in his first two years. And not sure why he wasnt used as a punt returner in college, especially at UTEP. I dont think they have a lot of 4.3 jitterbugs there. So I'd be wanting to chat with the special teams coordinators of those two schools.

Yeah this is concerning.

I like Cowing and I like Baker. I think Cowing is way more of a Shanny receiver and Niners like picking PAC-12 players, but question is how many slot type of WRs the team needs. At 5-9, 165....for every Tank Dell there's a Rondale Moore. CMC is like a part-time slot receiver too.

I don't think he will be available at the end of third round, so you gotta move up for him

It all depends on what happens to Aiyuk. As it is, it looks like he's staying. If so, I think the WR room is loaded and we can't afford to spend further capital unless they really really like the player and there's a role like returner he could step into. At his size he's not really a Deebo replacement/insurance either.

Really if it wasn't for his route-running he'd be more of a fourth-sixth round prospect imo. Even with his blazing speed.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I like both of the guys the 49ers drafted. It's crazy to consider but is there a scenario where both rookies are hits, and neither Deebo or Aiyuk are Niners in a few years.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Congrats Phoenix. This draft will always be looked at to me, as the Arizona connection draft.
whoops mt
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 27, 2024 at 11:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
whoops mt

You gotta stop drinking on draft weekend, Hero
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I hope they keep sleeping on him and he falls right in our lap.

How anyone sees Worthy as a better prospect over this guy I'll never know. The tape from the very beginning showed Cowing is a better football player, not just an athlete.

Share 49ersWebzone