LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 233 users in the forums

Cooper DeJean-CB-Iowa

I love how consistent he is in his approach from game to game. I don't know that he'll ever be a star CB in the NFL but I think he can have a very long career as a versatile defensive back that can do it all at the position, excels at most aspects and has few weaknesses. Great instincts and recognition, pure ballhawk. Definitely better suited for zone coverage versus man coverage. I think you could play him on the outside, the slot, even potentially at safety depending on a team's needs.

Tremendous athleticism, nice size for the position, plays physical and not shy about laying down big hits when the opportunity presents itself. I could see him moving up to where he goes mid 1st or earlier but if he's available somewhere in the 20s, he'd be someone that the 49ers should look at to upgrade the secondary.

I watched a lot of tape on him and man, I want to like him but still not totally sold.

I definitely think he will have trouble in man at the next level.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 25, 2024 at 11:23 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Jason Sehorn or Tory Nixon 😂
Iowa saw Mendenhalls challenge and has pumped out 2 white CBs
He would be excellent in the slot between DeMo and Ward. Ultimately, I think he gets moved around and has utilization similar to that of Minkah Fitzpatrick.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
We need another white cornerback let's gooooooo
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
He would be excellent in the slot between DeMo and Ward. Ultimately, I think he gets moved around and has utilization similar to that of Minkah Fitzpatrick.

I think that's a good comparison. I think he can be a unique defensive weapon that has All Pro upside in the right scheme.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I watched a lot of tape on him and man, I want to like him but still not totally sold.

I definitely think he will have trouble in man at the next level.

Definitely better suited for a zone scheme. I can see some teams having a mid 1st grade on him and others a mid to late 2nd even.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Furlow:
We need another white cornerback let's gooooooo

They're called Unicorns.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8tUKYJ5/

A corner wouldn't be a bad pick but our needs at OT and run-stopping D line are surely significantly greater with the #1 pick.
[ Edited by English on Jan 27, 2024 at 4:28 AM ]
My favorite defensive back in this draft but have to trade up for him definitely
Originally posted by jersey49er:
My favorite defensive back in this draft but have to trade up for him definitely

Maybe. Outside of cover-3 dominant defenses, some teams may struggle to see where to use him. Is the league still prioritizing versatility and athleticism over the idea of a specific role in which a player can dominate? Unless teams think they can leave him as a true #1 outside corner, some may be hesitant.
I'm totally in for a white CB. It would at least be funny even if he sucked.
Originally posted by English:
A corner wouldn't be a bad pick but our needs at OT and run-stopping D line are surely significantly greater with the #1 pick.

Unless we find a blue chip prospect that can start right away... I don't want a Tackle with our first pick.

Why? Because it always takes a few years for lineman to become impactful players. Where as corners, free safeties, defensive ends, linebackers, and WRs... can impact the game NOW.

And I believe we have this year and next as our best chance to win it all.

If we have any cap space.... I'd prefer to supplement the OL with veterans.
Share 49ersWebzone