LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 185 users in the forums

Roger Rosengarten-OT-Washington

I don't like him at 31 but I do like him more than Morgan(RT or G) and Guyton (RT only). Suamataia has a higher ceiling than Rosengarten but Rosengarten has a higher floor. I would be happy with either one if they trade back to like 37 bc I think both have potential to move to LT.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And every year mock drafts completely miss the boat on a large number of players. I think Rosengarten will be in demand considering the high number of teams running the Shanahan offense.

This is an excellent point.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Again I like him a lot. I think he's a good pass-protector. He's not a 1st rd talent though. His run blocking isn't where it needs to be. He has issues with power and the lack of true length can be an issue. Overall it's not hating him…it's objectively evaluating him and his strengths/weaknesses.

I get that. I would prefer that they don't take him at 31 as well. If he is the guy that they want, the ideal scenario would be either trading back from 31 or up from 63. I do think that their interest in him is legitimate. He is a prototypical zone OT. There are also connections that can't be ignored, I.e. experience with the McCaffrey family in high school, and Joe Staley in the pre draft process.
Again I like him a lot. I think he's a good pass-protector. He's not a 1st rd talent though. His run blocking isn't where it needs to be. He has issues with power and the lack of true length can be an issue. Overall it's not hating him…it's objectively evaluating him and his strengths/weaknesses.

So if we use the pick at the back end of the round it constitutes as that round pick. If we trade a pick at the back end of a round we justify it by saying it's an "almost" pick.

I'm starting to pick up on how this all works.
Originally posted by krizay:

So if we use the pick at the back end of the round it constitutes as that round pick. If we trade a pick at the back end of a round we justify it by saying it's an "almost" pick.

I'm starting to pick up on how this all works.

He's not one of the best 31 prospects in this draft class. He's not one of the best 50 prospects in this draft class imo.

No, you're clearly not understanding how it works. Instead of talking about the player and why you feel the way you do…you'd rather be condensing and try to fine gotcha moments. s**t is old and stale…It doesn't make you look smarter regardless of how hard you try…It does the opposite actually.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 14, 2024 at 5:36 PM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I get that. I would prefer that they don't take him at 31 as well. If he is the guy that they want, the ideal scenario would be either trading back from 31 or up from 63. I do think that their interest in him is legitimate. He is a prototypical zone OT. There are also connections that can't be ignored, I.e. experience with the McCaffrey family in high school, and Joe Staley in the pre draft process.

I mean you can like a player. Think he's a fit, have all the connections and not value him as one of the top 31 players in the draft

we got Rice/McCaffrey/Gore Jr in this draft as well…should we just take them all on day 2 just because?

I'm a fan of Javon Baker, fits this team…I'm not taking him in the top 50.

I won't be shocked if they overdraft him. It's their thing and overall that s**t hasn't really been successful.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
And every year mock drafts completely miss the boat on a large number of players. I think Rosengarten will be in demand considering the high number of teams running the Shanahan offense.

He's also scheme dependent and his run-blocking is not his strength. I never thought he was a late day 2 early day 3 guy like some big boards have him. Late second early 3rd is his value imo.

his position will push him up a little though.
He's not one of the best 31 prospects in this draft class. He's not one of the best 50 prospects in this draft class imo.

No, you're clearly not understanding how it works. Instead of talking about the player and why you feel the way you do…you'd rather be condensing and try to fine gotcha moments. s**t is old and stale…It doesn't make you look smarter regardless of how hard you try…It does the opposite actually.

He doesn't have to be 1 of the top 31 prospects. All he has to be is one of the top prospects left on SF's board. SF isn't going to have every player on their list. Is that how it works?

I was just trying to figure out how your mind works. I would expect you to argue that taking him at 31 isn't as bad as some may seem since a 1st isn't a 1st in your mind.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

He's also scheme dependent and his run-blocking is not his strength. I never thought he was a late day 2 early day 3 guy like some big boards have him. Late second early 3rd is his value imo.

his position will push him up a little though.

Sounds exactly the guy we'd select at 31, lol.
Just started a mock where by the time we pick Rosengarten would be #2 option.

Top 15 ranked players left according to this site.

JPJ
Chop Robinson
Guyton
Penix
Nix
Worthy
Darius Robinson
Jordan Morgan
Keon Coleman
Edgerrin Cooper
Lassiter
Fiske
Payton Wilson
Kingsley suamataia
Zach Frazier

Given this board I would go Kingsley Suamataia but Rosengarten would be my #2 pick

For me, it's all about tiers and positional value. I think he is firmly a tier 2 tackle. So at 31, is ask myself the following questions:

Is there a tier 1 player still on the board? If no
Is OT a need? Yes
Is it likely that I can get a tier 2 OT, him or otherwise, later? If yes
Is there a tier 2 player of equal positional importance that I DONT think I can get later? If not
Can I trade back? If not

Draft Rosengarten

Of course I doubt all the answers to these questions go this way, and so he's not my first choice.

I will add, I don't think his length, or suggested lack there of, is a problem at all. He isn't a passive pass protector, at all. He looks to get hands on quickly, and so he won't be locked out of arms reach.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Apr 14, 2024 at 8:30 PM ]
Just started a mock where by the time we pick Rosengarten would be #2 option.

Top 15 ranked players left according to this site.

JPJ
Chop Robinson
Guyton
Penix
Nix
Worthy
Darius Robinson
Jordan Morgan
Keon Coleman
Edgerrin Cooper
Lassiter
Fiske
Payton Wilson
Kingsley suamataia
Zach Frazier

Given this board I would go Kingsley Suamataia but Rosengarten would be my #2 pick

Would be awfully tempting to trade down if a team were to overpay for penix (in this scenario)
He doesn't have to be 1 of the top 31 prospects. All he has to be is one of the top prospects left on SF's board. SF isn't going to have every player on their list. Is that how it works?

I was just trying to figure out how your mind works. I would expect you to argue that taking him at 31 isn't as bad as some may seem since a 1st isn't a 1st in your mind.

No you being condescending and snarky. You want to twist my words because you didn't like what I said & and use what I said against me…you get off doing that s**t in here. It's f**king weird. stop it.

I don't think he's a top 50 player in this draft, let alone top 31. Simple as that. Now if they move down into the 40s, while it's still a reach, they at least get compensation in return.

I've given my reasons on why I feel the way I do about him. I like him and gave a write up. I told you where I think he should be taken…you don't like it, that's fine. Doesn't change my opinion at all.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Would be awfully tempting to trade down if a team were to overpay for penix (in this scenario)

That would probably be my ideal scenario as well
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
For me, it's all about tiers and positional value. I think he is firmly a tier 2 tackle. So at 31, is ask myself the following questions:

Is there a tier 1 player still on the board? If no
Is OT a need? Yes
Is it likely that I can get a tier 2 OT, him or otherwise, later? If yes
Is there a tier 2 player of equal positional importance that I DONT think I can get later? If not
Can I trade back? If not

Draft Rosengarten

Of course I doubt all the answers to these questions go this way, and so he's not my first choice.

I will add, I don't think his length, or suggested lack there of, is a problem at all. He isn't a passive pass protector, at all. He looks to get hands on quickly, and so he won't be locked out of arms reach.

I agree with most of this. I like to add ceiling/floor for prospects. What is his ceiling if everything goes as best as it could? Traits/measurables etc. I'm assuming you put that into your tiers as well.

I don't think length is a massive issue with him overall. He's got great hands and footwork. His athletic ability masks not having great length. However he can overextend/over-set in part because of that lack of overall length. It does show up on film.

Lack of core strength and strength in his lower half is noticeable. He can and will have to get stronger there. Unlike a guy like Mims…you can win with power vs RR.

like others said he's a zone blocking OT. That's great because that's what we primarily run, but it's not like Kyle doesn't like to add some power into the running game as well…I would like my top 31 pick to be able to do both at some decent level.

Again he's a tier 2OT and I have a day 2 grade on him…I wouldn't put him in my top 50. I also wouldn't be upset if he's a 49er, just don't want to use our 1st on him.
Share 49ersWebzone