LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 178 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: DB

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I can copy and paste what John Lynch said after drafting Ji'Ayir Brown and apply it to Cooper DeJean. The 49ers love guys that are team captains(huge emphasis on this), versatile, tough, physical and smart. They really need another DB that is tough and physical in run support and be depended on to fit his gap, which is critical in the wide 9. We saw how a liability like Ambry Thomas(Adam Peter's pick) was attacked in the playoffs. Obviously, he's good in zone and the 49ers are still primarily a zone defense. Also, the defense is missing a guy they can move around to match up in man coverage against tight ends when they mix things up, and they can also put him slot if they prefer Dmo outside. Cooper can do all those things.

This dude just screams 49er to me. DB is definitely higher on the need list with both Dmo and Ward up for new deals.

Got in some arguments defending this kid.

Cooper looks a little stiff to me. He didn't play any real man coverage at Iowa. So that's a projection. I think he can be a pretty darn good football player. I just don't know if it's as a pure outside DB. If I'm spending a first on a CB, I want to know he can play man well.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Cooper looks a little stiff to me. He didn't play any real man coverage at Iowa. So that's a projection. I think he can be a pretty darn good football player. I just don't know if it's as a pure outside DB. If I'm spending a first on a CB, I want to know he can play man well.

What if your drafting him to play FS?
Originally posted by Heroism:
I can copy and paste what John Lynch said after drafting Ji'Ayir Brown and apply it to Cooper DeJean. The 49ers love guys that are team captains(huge emphasis on this), versatile, tough, physical and smart. They really need another DB that is tough and physical in run support and be depended on to fit his gap, which is critical in the wide 9. We saw how a liability like Ambry Thomas(Adam Peter's pick) was attacked in the playoffs. Obviously, he's good in zone and the 49ers are still primarily a zone defense. Also, the defense is missing a guy they can move around to match up in man coverage against tight ends when they mix things up, and they can also put him slot if they prefer Dmo outside. Cooper can do all those things.

This dude just screams 49er to me. DB is definitely higher on the need list with both Dmo and Ward up for new deals.

Got in some arguments defending this kid.

I feel the same way. Look, Cooper is a good football player. But I don't know if he's really what we need unless we want to replace Brown at safety.

I just don't buy that he can effectively play man, and sometimes the fact is you'll have to man up against some teams. It's a lot easier to teach a man guy to play zone than get a zone guy who's not super smooth or sticky and hope he can learn to cover better.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
What if your drafting him to play FS?

I hate using a 1st rd draft pick on a player with the purpose of playing him at a different position than he played at college…especially a position that's not a premium position.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I feel the same way. Look, Cooper is a good football player. But I don't know if he's really what we need unless we want to replace Brown at safety.

I just don't buy that he can effectively play man, and sometimes the fact is you'll have to man up against some teams. It's a lot easier to teach a man guy to play zone than get a zone guy who's not super smooth or sticky and hope he can learn to cover better.

Agreed
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Agreed

I mean chances are he's not gonna make it to us anyways lol

I hope not, that means someone else dropped to us.

also I don't think he's a bad football player.

Would you take Kool Aid over Cooper? If both were there at 31

Hmmmmmmmm

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Hell no. Give me Cooper all day. Cooper has much better ball skills than most DB's in this class. When I watch Kool Aid, he plays the receiver more than the ball and I bet he gets flagged for PI more in the NFL. IMO

Bump
Just cleared from surgery and kid is doing this. Would've cracked 4.3 if healthy and no surgery IMO

He won't make it to 31

Bump

Tough for me because I think Cooper flames out at CB and moves to safety. Maybe nickel in a zone heavy scheme. But I'm looking for a true boundary corner.
Share 49ersWebzone