LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 168 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: WR

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Who would be mad if we just grabbed McConkey at 31? He seems like a can't miss...

Who wouldnt be mad would be more like it. Why do you want a WR in rd 1? We literally have Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle, CMC, and Jennings all fighting for targets. we don't need a 6th option. We need QB protection. We need outside corner. We need edge rusher.

This lol. Our offense already struggles to get the ball to all our playmakers.

Only WR I wouldn't be mad at round 1 that likely even requires a trade up is Brian Thomas. Other than that it's pure stupidity, like taking Solomon Thomas when you have Buckner and Armstead, picking #2, need a QB, and Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson was there

I saw some YouTuber saying Brian Thomas's blocking effort reminds him of George Pickens. It wasn't a compliment

I agree we need to go O-line...maybe twice early. It's just I want "healthy Cooper Kupp" on our side, and McConkey seem like he could be the closest thing.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Who would be mad if we just grabbed McConkey at 31? He seems like a can't miss...

Who wouldnt be mad would be more like it. Why do you want a WR in rd 1? We literally have Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle, CMC, and Jennings all fighting for targets. we don't need a 6th option. We need QB protection. We need outside corner. We need edge rusher.

This lol. Our offense already struggles to get the ball to all our playmakers.

Only WR I wouldn't be mad at round 1 that likely even requires a trade up is Brian Thomas. Other than that it's pure stupidity, like taking Solomon Thomas when you have Buckner and Armstead, picking #2, need a QB, and Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson was there

I saw some YouTuber saying Brian Thomas's blocking effort reminds him of George Pickens. It wasn't a compliment

I agree we need to go O-line...maybe twice early. It's just I want "healthy Cooper Kupp" on our side, and McConkey seem like he could be the closest thing.

Only concern for me about him is his medicals. He had a back injury in his past reasons.

If that checks out, he's a top 50 talent IMO.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I'm falling for Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri

Level of competition is low, but by all accounts he's a great athlete, so no worries about just looking fast compared to shoe salesmen. He made Bruce Feldman's freak list. These numbers never hold up at the combine, but Feldman lists the following testing numbers:

40yrd: 4.35 hand (98%tile)
Vert: 41" (98%tile)
Broad: 10' 10-1/2" (97%tile)
3C: 6.66 (97%tile)

At the Senior Bowl, he measured in with good size: 6'1" 200 lbs with >31" arms. He also measured with giant 10" hands. His hands show up on film; very reliable outside of his frame. I haven't watched enough of him to see how consistent he is with his catch technique, but I didn't see any concern over body catching or clap catching. He is confident in his hands, not afraid to work over the middle, and he can use his size, strength and balance to absorb contact and maximize yards after the catch. He is also a true deep threat with good speed and ball tracking ability, and he consistently uses good technique to stack corners (albeit not the greatest corners in the world) down field. He gets after it as a blocker - in fact, I first started looking into him because he had a solid rep vs Darius Robinson (big riser at DE) at the Senior Bowl which ended with Robinson on the ground. He has the temperament to feel confident in his ability to continue to improve as a blocker, and stay out of Shanahans dog house.

As a route runner, he is currently limited. He has clear ability to throttle up and down, and flexibility to sink his hips. He uses his long arms well to separate at the catch point. But from what I saw, his footwork needs a lot of work, and he would seem to struggle to fully open his hips. Given his reported testing numbers, I would assume his shortcomings are coachable, and not a function of any athletic limitations.

Not doing crazy deep draft dives on all these guys like I did in the past, but after skimming over most of these guy's combine numbers and a few games, this dude is one my favorite WRs already. He has 49ers written all over him. Hard to bring down after the catch; good size at 6-1, 202 with plus athleticism that the Niners love; Absolutely gets after it in the run game as a blocker. I even saw him play out of the backfield in the Deebo role. Kind of reminds me of Pierre Garcon.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 5, 2024 at 11:46 PM ]
Late round guy I like is Joshua Cephus. His brother is Lions WR that got busted for betting at team facilities last year.

Originally posted by krizay:
Late round guy I like is Joshua Cephus. His brother is Lions WR that got busted for betting at team facilities last year.

Huge character flags. Nice player, but like Burton, we prob don't touch him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

oh... what are his flags? I didn't realize there was anything with him.
Originally posted by krizay:

oh... what are his flags? I didn't realize there was anything with him.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/colleges/utsa/article/joshua-cephus-utsa-football-dwi-probation-18486844.php
https://www.expressnews.com/sports/colleges/utsa/article/joshua-cephus-utsa-football-dwi-probation-18486844.php

Thank you

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Damn, I already liked him just based on tape and testing, but I like him even more now based on who he is as a person.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 6, 2024 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

Damn, I already liked him just based on tape and testing, but I like him even more now based on who he is as a person.

Same

Same

Where did you guys read about him?
Did we meet with Javon Baker?

Same

Where did you guys read about him?

some one who knows can correct me....but I believe his family was broken up and the kids (him included) ended up in foster care....they were presented with a situation that two of the 3 could be put in a foster home and he volunteered not not break up his younger siblings. So instead of taking the opportunity to get out, he wanted his siblings to get out of the system.

I think....that is what happened, but I could be confusing different players, or...let's be honest..just flat out wrong, I might have miss-heard the situation. Some one know knows should actually chime in.

As far as the player goes....yeah dude is legit.
Share 49ersWebzone