LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 249 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: WR

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I didn't see a ton of drops, but maybe I missed that. To me, if they're contested drops, that's not as bad.

Xavier Worthy had wide open drops all over the field constantly. I'm so not a fan.

I was basing my comment on what I seen but I did find this FWIW

You look at his adot and drop% and it's . He too had wide open drops. Can't remember the game(s) I watched but it's there
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 17, 2024 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I like Mitchell, apparently he's got some issues though…

Man there's some good day2/3 guys that could help this team that I like much more than Corley in the second.

Jalen McMillan, Ja'Lynn Polk, Malik Washington, Javon Baker, Wilson etc.

I don't see why he would be a second rd WR talent? Dude isn't even really a WR in my eyes.

Gosh Darnit! There goes one of my main draft crushes

Another comment from the article

"He blew that 40 out, which didn't surprise me," one veteran scout said. "But then his position workout might have been the worst I've seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn't know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

"He was very linear, very straight line," another scout said watching Mitchell at the combine. "Which surprised me, because in my limited exposure, for a fast guy, I thought he could actually bend and get in and out of his cuts.

"After running fast, the position stuff didn't match. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't fatal. But it definitely raised some alerts with me. He didn't have a great combine."
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 17, 2024 at 6:09 PM ]
Another comment from the article

"He blew that 40 out, which didn't surprise me," one veteran scout said. "But then his position workout might have been the worst I've seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn't know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

He has a lot of slippage in his game tapes as well actually
Some "Twitter reports" saying that SF loves the two other WRs out of Washington and Kyle loves him some Javon Baker.
Both Washington dudes would be "shanny guys" especially Polk...rich man's Juaun Jennings.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Just think he's Kyle's type but would rather take a flyer on a wr late unless they love a guy at 31.

Why because he's basically a RB? Dude can't run routes. At least not well. His footwork is not good and his releases are not nuanced at all. He's just very raw overall as an actual WR.

Deebo can run routes. Overall for a guy his size he's very fluid. I have no idea why people like this guy outside of some highlights. You're gonna have to game plan him touches because he's not getting open in the NFL imo. Like I said he's more Amari Rodgers than someone like Deebo.

I'm not touching him until day 3 with the idea he's more a gadget player and if we're going that route give me someone like Jaheim Bell late day 3.

Just to add to the Corley stuff…I agree with all of this, he's a day 3 gadget player.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 19, 2024 at 8:06 AM ]
Top 30 visit with Johnny Wilson today.

https://atozsports.com/san-francisco/49ers-top-30-visit-nfl-draft-cheat-code-johnny-wilson/

Torn on this guy because his contested catch rate is low. Steve Smith was not impressed with the tape and said Johnny can't run and chew gum at the same time. Route running needs work and may never get there with his feet. But, dude is massive and can run block. 4.5 speed, great broad and vert. He can close space quick. Arm length and wingspan are 99th percentile. He is going to destroy nickel corners in the running game. The knocks on him are no different then Jujuan coming out. Let him mostly sit for a year and pick it up and he might replace Jennings next year as that huge catch radius slot guy.
Originally posted by scooterhd:

https://atozsports.com/san-francisco/49ers-top-30-visit-nfl-draft-cheat-code-johnny-wilson/

Torn on this guy because his contested catch rate is low. Steve Smith was not impressed with the tape and said Johnny can't run and chew gum at the same time. Route running needs work and may never get there with his feet. But, dude is massive and can run block. 4.5 speed, great broad and vert. He can close space quick. Arm length and wingspan are 99th percentile. He is going to destroy nickel corners in the running game. The knocks on him are no different then Jujuan coming out. Let him mostly sit for a year and pick it up and he might replace Jennings next year as that huge catch radius slot guy.

Wonder if a conversion to TE is in the cards?

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by scooterhd:

Wonder if a conversion to TE is in the cards?

Hes definitely a WR. He can run routes, he can sink his hips, he can change direction. He's never going to look like Stefon Diggs out there - the dude is 6'6-1/2" 230 lbs! Things just LOOK different when you're that huge. The one head scratcher is the contested catches. You're over 6'6", you have 35-1/2" arms, 10" hands, and a 37" vert at 230 lbs. You should be dunking on absolutely everyone. What good is your catch radius if you can't, you know, catch. His ceiling is STUPID high. But his floor is Hakeem Butler, and that's worrying. He has good build up speed, and if he stacks you, he's leaving you, but his acceleration can be sluggish, he lacks twitch (again, he's huge) and he has a tendency to push off at the top of the route. If the consistency of ball skills improves, the rest of these are coachable, or hideable with his size and length profile, athleticism and smooth hips.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Apr 19, 2024 at 10:20 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Some "Twitter reports" saying that SF loves the two other WRs out of Washington and Kyle loves him some Javon Baker.

I wish he would love him some WR's from his alma mater in Adonai Mitchell. The kid reminds me so much of Cedee Lamb. But I haven't seen the 9ers having any interest in him.

Watched a lot of husky games, other than Rome my feeling is the other guys are just ok and have iffy hands.

This dude is growing on me fast. I was surprised by his blocking when I watched some of his tape. I think he could be a fit for the post-Deebo era at Z.

tbh quickly becoming my favorite player at 31
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 20, 2024 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I can't see the 49ers using their first pick on a WR. They have more pressing needs.

If they are truly keeping BA this year I see no reason to draft a wide receiver in the first round. From what Kyle demands of his wide receivers it would basically be a redshirt year and we are getting little if any contribution from the first round pick. They can take one later or even double up to prepare for the eventual departure of Deebo or BA. For a team in the bottom of pass attempts a 1st would be to much investment in the position in my opinion. It would be different if we didn't have other needs. Personally my preference would be a top CB if one's there or if one of the top Tackles slips to us.

Iagree with all of the above. There just isn't enough passing to justify this.
Share 49ersWebzone