There are 242 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Keep an eye on OL short shuffle this week at the combine. The magic number is 4.47 or better.

I need an updated list after the combine

Josh Norris will have one for sure
Added Andrew Raym as a top 75 prospect. Another really nice looking C/OG prospect. Nice reps here.

Kingsley Sumataia and Patrick Paul have got to be the two most overrated OT prospects this draft cycle. Look like late 3rd and 5th round picks respectively to me.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Kingsley Sumataia and Patrick Paul have got to be the two most overrated OT prospects this draft cycle. Look like late 3rd and 5th round picks respectively to me.

I like the raw potential of both of them but they'll both be overdrafted. I do wonder if Sumataia wouldn't work a lot better playing RG.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I like the raw potential of both of them but they'll both be overdrafted. I do wonder if Sumataia wouldn't work a lot better playing RG.

That's part of why I'd take him earlier than Paul. He at least has potential positional versatility, and while Paul has put out better tape, Kingsley has more traits that you can hope to develop.

I actually think he would transition fantastically to RG.

This is one reason why I grade him a top 75 pick still. A think his versatility as a RT/RG boosts him significantly. He has enormous upside as tackle, but to be honest, I think even if that didn't work out, he might be a Pro Bowl caliber guard.
If Barton and Frazier are both sitting there at 31 who you taking?

which one slides into RG better year 1?

I haven't don't a deep dive on many of these guys yet.

Frazier for me. IMO more powerful, more nasty than Barton. Plus an amazing football IQ.

"He's gonna set the standard with how he works. He's extremely intelligent. From a football standpoint, for us, he was a quarterback for our offensive line. He made all our identification, in both the run game and the pass game. He has a deep understanding of making sure we get our five on their five," Brown said."
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Frazier for me. IMO more powerful, more nasty than Barton. Plus an amazing football IQ.

"He's gonna set the standard with how he works. He's extremely intelligent. From a football standpoint, for us, he was a quarterback for our offensive line. He made all our identification, in both the run game and the pass game. He has a deep understanding of making sure we get our five on their five," Brown said."
Yeah, I like Frazier too. Just saw Steelers let go of their starting C so another contender for this position of need?

Aassuming I have to choose one, and trades aren't an option, I'd lean Barton. He is just a better, smoother athlete. I'd trust Frazier's play strength more, specifically in 1v1 situations, but it's not like Barton is deficient - at all - in that area, and centers are rarely asked to play heads up 1v1 vs a nose anyway. My only concern would be needing to see how consistently Barton can snap the ball if we are looking start a guy at center right away.

Frazier for me because I trust him more at RG where I expect a rookie future center would start out anyways based on Kyle's tendencies. Frazier is just this ornery dude that wants to smash people over but is also very intelligent and has tremendous awareness and would help shore up the right side of the OL next season.

Call me nuts but I'd love to walk out of the draft with a new starting center or guard and strong developmental prospects at guard and tackle that could compete for starting spots early on.

Frazier for me because I trust him more at RG where I expect a rookie future center would start out anyways based on Kyle's tendencies. Frazier is just this ornery dude that wants to smash people over but is also very intelligent and has tremendous awareness and would help shore up the right side of the OL next season.

Call me nuts but I'd love to walk out of the draft with a new starting center or guard and strong developmental prospects at guard and tackle that could compete for starting spots early on.

We have a golden opportunity to upgrade our entire center to right side of the line.

I think we could find a new C, RG, and RT in this class. We need to, honestly, in order to keep ourselves sustained under the cap without losing too many important players.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

We have a golden opportunity to upgrade our entire center to right side of the line.

I think we could find a new C, RG, and RT in this class. We need to, honestly, in order to keep ourselves sustained under the cap without losing too many important players.

Agreed. I'm hoping the first three picks are OL.

I actually think he would transition fantastically to RG.

This is one reason why I grade him a top 75 pick still. A think his versatility as a RT/RG boosts him significantly. He has enormous upside as tackle, but to be honest, I think even if that didn't work out, he might be a Pro Bowl caliber guard.

What if Suamataia has a combine performance like Blake Freeland did last year? Does that make him a better prospect for you? He was on Bruce Feldman's Freaks list in preseason. Paul doesn't have that kind of athleticism, but he's still big enough to make guys work to get around him.

I expect both to be there at 31. The free agent class is pretty strong at Center too so some of these teams might solve their center issue before the draft. I like both of those guys so if both were there at 31 i'd look to trade down especially if there is a team wanting to trade up to the 1st round to get a QB so they can have him for 5 years.

Potential Trade
SF gives up 31
NYG Gives Up 39, 108 (early 4th)

Share 49ersWebzone