There are 233 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Not sure how others feel about Tyler Guyton, but overall I'm not really seeing it? I mean coming off the bus he's what you want and he's got the athletic ability to get to the second level. Has some great reps from what little of seen. Got smoked a couple times at the Senior Bowl.

he just seems inconsistent and his footwork doesn't look polished at all…doesn't play with great pad level. Would hate him in the second. I don't know maybe I'll change my mind the more I see/read about him.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Kingsley Sumataia and Patrick Paul have got to be the two most overrated OT prospects this draft cycle. Look like late 3rd and 5th round picks respectively to me.

I like the raw potential of both of them but they'll both be overdrafted. I do wonder if Sumataia wouldn't work a lot better playing RG.

I actually think he would transition fantastically to RG.

This is one reason why I grade him a top 75 pick still. A think his versatility as a RT/RG boosts him significantly. He has enormous upside as tackle, but to be honest, I think even if that didn't work out, he might be a Pro Bowl caliber guard.

What if Suamataia has a combine performance like Blake Freeland did last year? Does that make him a better prospect for you? He was on Bruce Feldman's Freaks list in preseason. Paul doesn't have that kind of athleticism, but he's still big enough to make guys work to get around him.

No. I already am baking his athleticism into the equation. It didn't help him from looking silly vs power or speed. I also dont think he's a perfectly smooth transition to guard either. Where can I see him latch on and control players, driving them off the screen consistently, instead of just slap fighting?
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Feb 26, 2024 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Not sure how others feel about Tyler Guyton, but overall I'm not really seeing it? I mean coming off the bus he's what you want and he's got the athletic ability to get to the second level. Has some great reps from what little of seen. Got smoked a couple times at the Senior Bowl.

he just seems inconsistent and his footwork doesn't look polished at all…doesn't play with great pad level. Would hate him in the second. I don't know maybe I'll change my mind the more I see/read about him.

No he's not even on my board. Looks awful and looked bad in drills too to me. Absolutely do not want. But I can see Chris F pounding the table because he has completely lost touch with what promising talent looks like.

No he's not even on my board. Looks awful and looked bad in drills too to me. Absolutely do not want. But I can see Chris F pounding the table because he has completely lost touch with what promising talent looks like.

How do you feel about Amarius Mims? Just like Guyton, he has all the physical tools, but not the experience. Is he a good prospect in your opinion or is he like Guyton?
Fix the offensive line by drafting the kid from BYU and draft Christian Haynes from Connecticut and I would sign recently released Tomlinson, does that fix the offensive line and your eyes too?
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Fix the offensive line by drafting the kid from BYU and draft Christian Haynes from Connecticut and I would sign recently released Tomlinson, does that fix the offensive line and your eyes too?

I want no part of Tomlinson now. He's a declining, aging player. I'd rather bring back Jon for cheap and draft two IOL in this extremely deep class. They should have no problem beating out Burford, Bartch, and/or Moore (who I think is a better pass blocker than Colton IMO honestly, but we don't trust him).

How do you feel about Amarius Mims? Just like Guyton, he has all the physical tools, but not the experience. Is he a good prospect in your opinion or is he like Guyton?

I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of going with potential over polish, especially when you have a clear gaping hole and immediate need for a plug and play guy.

That said, the difference between Mims and Guyton is that the former has actually shown a ton of promise in his limited experience and didn't fold against good competition from what I saw. He looks the part, just unhoned. His lost reps don't really look the same as Guytons do.

Guyton looks like an absolute mess everywhere, and got absolutely destroyed at the senior bowl one on ones. The risk is much higher when you know a guy already can't hang. I want to know there's something to work with if I'm taking on a project.

I could be totally wrong, but I wouldn't touch Guyton until the late fourth at the earliest because he seems like too big of a project before then.

I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of going with potential over polish, especially when you have a clear gaping hole and immediate need for a plug and play guy.

That said, the difference between Mims and Guyton is that the former has actually shown a ton of promise in his limited experience and didn't fold against good competition from what I saw. He looks the part, just unhoned. His lost reps don't really look the same as Guytons do.

Guyton looks like an absolute mess everywhere, and got absolutely destroyed at the senior bowl one on ones. The risk is much higher when you know a guy already can't hang. I want to know there's something to work with if I'm taking on a project.

I could be totally wrong, but I wouldn't touch Guyton until the late fourth at the earliest because he seems like too big of a project before then.

Yeah, Guyton is definitely a boom/bust type. The athleticism /potential is what the people are looking at but he's got a long way to go. I thought he will be somewhere around 3rd around based on that. But damn, 1st round? Just get the highest rated G/C at 32 and the RT after.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Kingsley Sumataia and Patrick Paul have got to be the two most overrated OT prospects this draft cycle. Look like late 3rd and 5th round picks respectively to me.

Has Sumataia done his mission yet? Always something I am cognizant of with those BYU kids
[ Edited by kansasninerfan on Feb 26, 2024 at 6:50 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frankieuc68:

Yeah, Guyton is definitely a boom/bust type. The athleticism /potential is what the people are looking at but he's got a long way to go. I thought he will be somewhere around 3rd around based on that. But damn, 1st round? Just get the highest rated G/C at 32 and the RT after.

I don't see any chance he's there at 31. Some team is going to fall in love with his upside.

Originally posted by Hopper:
I don't see any chance he's there at 31. Some team is going to fall in love with his upside.

Yeah, there are a few talented OTs with more experience that can be had later in the draft like Brandon Coleman, Javon Foster, Blake Fisher and Christian Jones, So I'm good with that.
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Feb 26, 2024 at 9:11 PM ]

I feel the recent criticisms on Guyton are overblown. In the end, offensive tackles are paid the big bucks to pass protect. Guyton has a fine floor, and a tremendous ceiling in that regard. His rawness shows up when he oversets and/or overreacts, and lacks the footwork to recover. When he loses, it looks bad because he will let a defender completely cross his face and get through clean. This is what we saw vs Robinson (iirc) in the seniorbowl as well. But he has range, he has natural anchor, and he's got length. By all accounts he has good reps at the Senior Bowl as well, and his game log has plenty of evidence of pass protecting at a high level. It would require some patience, and will be frustrating at times, but I do think he'd be able to pass protect from year 1. Where I do agree is that his run blocking currently is bad. He plays high, ducks his head, lunges and just looks all around discombobulated out there, and that's why the niners won't draft him, imo.

It was a mixed bag for me. Day one he looked great. Day two was not a good day. I didn't see him on day 3 though.
I looked at the mock draft shown at the top of the webpage. I don't know enough about any of these guys to know how good they will be in the NFl. With all due respect, I doubt many of us do. Looking at some game clips can't tell you how good a player will be in the NFL.

What I like about that mock is the direction it takes. Heavy on O line , one CB and one big WR. As always it depends on who's on the board when the 49ers pick. We aren't going to get the elite guys drafting 31st and late in every round. A trade up for the right guy is always possible.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I looked at the mock draft shown at the top of the webpage. I don't know enough about any of these guys to know how good they will be in the NFl. With all due respect, I doubt many of us do. Looking at some game clips can't tell you how good a player will be in the NFL.

What I like about that mock is the direction it takes. Heavy on O line , one CB and one big WR. As always it depends on who's on the board when the 49ers pick. We aren't going to get the elite guys drafting 31st and late in every round. A trade up for the right guy is always possible.

I liked the 2nd and 3rd round picks a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone