There are 253 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I got a feeling it's gonna be Barton or Mims with the first pick. And I'm good either way, honestly I could careless which OT they get, as long as they get one.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I got a feeling it's gonna be Barton or Mims with the first pick. And I'm good either way, honestly I could careless which OT they get, as long as they get one.

I don't see Mims dropping to 31. I'm just not sure they draft an IOL in the 1st. Not saying they shouldn't, just doesn't seem like their MO. UNLESS they view them as a legit future center.

I feel like someone like Kingsley Suamataia will be very appealing to them.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
It is in this thread right now that I announce my draft crush. Kingsley Suamataia is my guy.

I see no holes in what I have seen from his highlights/tape. He is fluid as they come. He has played both LT and RT. I think he plugs in a RT and is the heir apparent to LT when it is time. His measurables are very good to great. Just short of 6'5. Good weight 325+. Big hands. Great athleticism. He was very very smooth in his drills today and he did them all with effort. His balance looks tremendous. Making Bruce Feldman's freak list at #3 is well deserved. Love this quote from his coach he gave Feldman "Kingsley Suamataia is the most athletic and violent OL I've ever coached."

There are a few intangibles I like about this kid that just adds to the crush. He is ambidextrous! I played the drums for 14 years. If I could have added any one talent from a genie who granted me a wish to improve my chops, it would be to be ambidextrous. It allows you to think differently. No weak side. Think that might come in handy for a OT? Esp one that we may want to start at RT and move to LT? I sure as sh*t do. The bloodlines don't bother me one bit either. Being the cousin of Penei Sewell and having similar (actually slightly better) measurables to Penei is not a bad thing. He's got that island blood in him. He seems like a smart really good kid. Maybe that's the BYU? He plays hard. He looks like he really enjoys the game.

He's got Gold Helmet written all over him. After we draft him it will come out he was a gold helmet guy. Okay off my soap box but I will likely be insufferable about this kid for the next 2 months. Sorry not sorry.

I gotta watch what I can find on him. The upside is amazing. He's only 21 with a good amount of starts under his belt. He's meets all the requirements that we like at OT as far as measurables go.

he's not a finished product, if he was he would be a top 15 pick in the draft. I like him more than guyton
It appears that there is a lot of talent in the O line. Not just tackles but guards and a couple good centers. I'll leave it up to the 49ers staff to decide who they like. They could sign a free agent or 2 between now and the draft so it could change their choices.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I don't see Mims dropping to 31. I'm just not sure they draft an IOL in the 1st. Not saying they shouldn't, just doesn't seem like their MO. UNLESS they view them as a legit future center.

I feel like someone like Kingsley Suamataia will be very appealing to them.

I don't see Mims dropping either, I'm more predicting a trade up with Mims. But this year the OL class is deep and they SHOULD take one with the first pick. I feel Barton would be appealing to the 49ers, he's versatile and a nasty blocker. I'm hoping they get a OT, I don't wanna see D-line in the 1st unless they trade up for Jared Verse or Chop Robinson.
I don't see Mims dropping either, I'm more predicting a trade up with Mims. But this year the OL class is deep and they SHOULD take one with the first pick. I feel Barton would be appealing to the 49ers, he's versatile and a nasty blocker. I'm hoping they get a OT, I don't wanna see D-line in the 1st unless they trade up for Jared Verse or Chop Robinson.

I'm all about Barton with the first pick. He's likely to be there and he'll be the best lineman available at that point. Draft linemen with first 3 picks.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Mims is less of a project than Kingsley.

Only worry is if a guy his size with his explosiveness is just unable to ever stay healthy. There's a reason humans aren't typically built like this; they aren't meant to be

what makes you say that Adrian? I know you aren't big on Kingsley. He seems liquid smooth to my eyes and I am not worried about his run blocking which Ithink can be coached up quick with his talent. Is that what concerns you?

It has more do with my thoughts on Mims than it does my thoughts on Kingsley. Mims inexperience gets mischaracterized as an inability to start, and to me, that is a byproduct of reading the total number of games played rather than watching the actual games themselves. He played JT Tuimoloau better than any of the other top tackles. He's loose, athletic, strong, has range, powerful punch, long arms - literally the full package. He has room to improve his consistency with his foot work and with his hand placement, but unless you're the elite of the elite power rushers, you aren't going to consistently work through him, and unless you're the elite of the elite speed rushers, you aren't going to get around his massive frame. Players like Micah and Garrett who can win inside or outside will give him trouble, but they give everyone trouble. As far as technical ability, he has flashes of good hand placement, sustain and he works inside out, picking up and passing off stunts, staying in position vs counters.

Kingsley looked great in drills - very smooth movement ability and his body composition lacks any sloppiness. But he's a project. Vs texas he lost vs power, he lost vs speed, he loses to counters. For such a big guy, he seems more content just getting in the way and hand fighting rather than latching on and consistently dictating where his opponent ends up. If you put on Kingsley and Mims side by side, Kingsley looks like the guy newer to the position.
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
I'm all about Barton with the first pick. He's likely to be there and he'll be the best lineman available at that point. Draft linemen with first 3 picks.

That's who I'm thinking it will be and I'm all for it, kids a stud. I know everyone is "projecting" him inside or at Center in the pros, but that isn't because he was bad at LT, purely a length thing. Personally, I think he can play any spot cause well, he has, started college at Center and moved from there to LT. That's pretty rare a move to see. His versatility is fantastic value at #31 and even better value for us with us needing a RT, RG and C. Plug him into whichever of those three for us is weakest or having a Center for the next decade to grow up with Purdy isn't a bad idea either
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
It has more do with my thoughts on Mims than it does my thoughts on Kingsley. Mims inexperience gets mischaracterized as an inability to start, and to me, that is a byproduct of reading the total number of games played rather than watching the actual games themselves. He played JT Tuimoloau better than any of the other top tackles. He's loose, athletic, strong, has range, powerful punch, long arms - literally the full package. He has room to improve his consistency with his foot work and with his hand placement, but unless you're the elite of the elite power rushers, you aren't going to consistently work through him, and unless you're the elite of the elite speed rushers, you aren't going to get around his massive frame. Players like Micah and Garrett who can win inside or outside will give him trouble, but they give everyone trouble. As far as technical ability, he has flashes of good hand placement, sustain and he works inside out, picking up and passing off stunts, staying in position vs counters.

Kingsley looked great in drills - very smooth movement ability and his body composition lacks any sloppiness. But he's a project. Vs texas he lost vs power, he lost vs speed, he loses to counters. For such a big guy, he seems more content just getting in the way and hand fighting rather than latching on and consistently dictating where his opponent ends up. If you put on Kingsley and Mims side by side, Kingsley looks like the guy newer to the position.

Great post and review of both! I like both of them and like all prospects, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. What I don't like about Kingsley is that he seems content allowing his opponents the initial punch more often than not. At BYU, that may be fine and he can absorb it without much issue, in the pros, he'll get put on his ass or into Purdys lap. For Mims, he doesn't really have that nasty gene. A guy his size should be mauling guys in the run game, he's much more finesse and seems fine just pushing guys instead of driving them. The good part is that he knows this and said it's something he needs to work on in his combine interview, loved hearing that from him.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:

That's who I'm thinking it will be and I'm all for it, kids a stud. I know everyone is "projecting" him inside or at Center in the pros, but that isn't because he was bad at LT, purely a length thing. Personally, I think he can play any spot cause well, he has, started college at Center and moved from there to LT. That's pretty rare a move to see. His versatility is fantastic value at #31 and even better value for us with us needing a RT, RG and C. Plug him into whichever of those three for us is weakest or having a Center for the next decade to grow up with Purdy isn't a bad idea either

Yep agreed. Put him at RG to start and keep Brendel at C. Draft the Yale tackle in the 2nd. Get super intelligent on the right side. Draft another versatile IOL in the 3rd.

only 8 starts for Mims
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 4, 2024 at 10:22 AM ]

only 8 starts for Mims

I am a really big fan of Amegadjie. Super upside IMO. But I like him a bit more at RG. That said, for pure OT, I like Paul and Glaze a lot. Glaze I think may be really underrated. Put some pretty good tape out there.

only 8 starts for Mims

inexperience is concerning
I gotta watch what I can find on him. The upside is amazing. He's only 21 with a good amount of starts under his belt. He's meets all the requirements that we like at OT as far as measurables go.

he's not a finished product, if he was he would be a top 15 pick in the draft. I like him more than guyton

there's other guys I like but he's my guy
Share 49ersWebzone