There are 257 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
It has more do with my thoughts on Mims than it does my thoughts on Kingsley. Mims inexperience gets mischaracterized as an inability to start, and to me, that is a byproduct of reading the total number of games played rather than watching the actual games themselves. He played JT Tuimoloau better than any of the other top tackles. He's loose, athletic, strong, has range, powerful punch, long arms - literally the full package. He has room to improve his consistency with his foot work and with his hand placement, but unless you're the elite of the elite power rushers, you aren't going to consistently work through him, and unless you're the elite of the elite speed rushers, you aren't going to get around his massive frame. Players like Micah and Garrett who can win inside or outside will give him trouble, but they give everyone trouble. As far as technical ability, he has flashes of good hand placement, sustain and he works inside out, picking up and passing off stunts, staying in position vs counters.

Kingsley looked great in drills - very smooth movement ability and his body composition lacks any sloppiness. But he's a project. Vs texas he lost vs power, he lost vs speed, he loses to counters. For such a big guy, he seems more content just getting in the way and hand fighting rather than latching on and consistently dictating where his opponent ends up. If you put on Kingsley and Mims side by side, Kingsley looks like the guy newer to the position.

Good stuff! Appreciate the insight
PFF has Mims mocked to SF post-combine
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
It has more do with my thoughts on Mims than it does my thoughts on Kingsley. Mims inexperience gets mischaracterized as an inability to start, and to me, that is a byproduct of reading the total number of games played rather than watching the actual games themselves. He played JT Tuimoloau better than any of the other top tackles. He's loose, athletic, strong, has range, powerful punch, long arms - literally the full package. He has room to improve his consistency with his foot work and with his hand placement, but unless you're the elite of the elite power rushers, you aren't going to consistently work through him, and unless you're the elite of the elite speed rushers, you aren't going to get around his massive frame. Players like Micah and Garrett who can win inside or outside will give him trouble, but they give everyone trouble. As far as technical ability, he has flashes of good hand placement, sustain and he works inside out, picking up and passing off stunts, staying in position vs counters.

Kingsley looked great in drills - very smooth movement ability and his body composition lacks any sloppiness. But he's a project. Vs texas he lost vs power, he lost vs speed, he loses to counters. For such a big guy, he seems more content just getting in the way and hand fighting rather than latching on and consistently dictating where his opponent ends up. If you put on Kingsley and Mims side by side, Kingsley looks like the guy newer to the position.

You have to consider what type of offense they played in and how good their coaching was. If a player has the physical tools and is smart and open to coaching then I would be open to drafting him. That's where the one on one interviews come into play.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

You have to consider what type of offense they played in and how good their coaching was. If a player has the physical tools and is smart and open to coaching then I would be open to drafting him. That's where the one on one interviews come into play.

I agree with this. But Kingsley doesn't have any more projected upside than Mims, so what confuses me is when people (not anyone on this board in particular) says things like "Mims is too raw, give me Kingsley instead"

I do have a connection with someone higher up the food chain in BYUs athletic department with nothing but good things to say about Kingsley, FWIW. Hes not a homer either, because he tampered my excitement about Zach Wilson very quickly the year he was coming out.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

HA

HA

Damn… Mims feet must be real nice
Originally posted by Waterbear:

HA

Damn… Mims feet must be real nice

Not worthy of your shake weight nice doe
Give me Kingsley in the first and Dominic puni in the fourth
Originally posted by jersey49er:

Just watching a little of Kingsley. Man there's a lot to work with there. Ideal measureables. Dude is a mauler, especially in the run game. He's got a strong punch. He's athletic and has no problem getting to the second level. Would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Has a solid anchor. He can overset and his footwork can be sloppy. That's something that will need coaching/reps. His feet can get "skinny" he can let guys get into his chest too often and it's seems like stunts/blitzing can be an issue for him right now…I think that's an awareness thing that you can improve with more reps. I believe he's only 21 right now? So he far from a finished product.

Overall at this point (can totally change my opinion). I think he's a second rd guy who I'd like to play at OT rather than OG (think he could play there though). I would feel much better getting him with our late 2nd vs our 31st overall pick. I kinda feel like that's the theme here…tons of good OTs, most of those guys are gonna be gone before they get to us. So at that point do we reach for an OT or go BPA elsewhere?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 5, 2024 at 8:24 AM ]

Originally posted by jersey49er:

Just watching a little of Kingsley. Man there's a lot to work with there. Ideal measureables. Dude is a mauler, especially in the run game. He's got a strong punch. He's athletic and has no problem getting to the second level. Would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Has a solid anchor. He can overset and his footwork can be sloppy. That's something that will need coaching/reps. His feet can get "skinny" he can let guys get into his chest too often and it's seems like stunts/blitzing can be an issue for him right now…I think that's an awareness thing that you can improve with more reps. I believe he's only 21 right now? So he far from a finished product.

Overall at this point (can totally change my opinion). I think he's a second rd guy who I'd like to play at OT rather than OG (think he could play there though). I would feel much better getting him with our late 2nd vs our 31st overall pick. I kinda feel like that's the theme here…tons of good OTs, most of those guys are gonna be gone before they get to us. So at that point do we reach for an OT or go BPA elsewhere?

Well said. Niners fans should hope that other teams pass on Mims for lack of game experience and his injury history so he falls to #31. Suamataia looks like a good fall back option if the Niners trade back with a team looking to get a 5th year out of one of the remaining QB's in the draft. He should be available into the mid 40's if you believe any of the big boards that are out right now.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I agree with this. But Kingsley doesn't have any more projected upside than Mims, so what confuses me is when people (not anyone on this board in particular) says things like "Mims is too raw, give me Kingsley instead"

I do have a connection with someone higher up the food chain in BYUs athletic department with nothing but good things to say about Kingsley, FWIW. Hes not a homer either, because he tampered my excitement about Zach Wilson very quickly the year he was coming out.

Being raw isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can mean there's a lot of room for improvement

When I grill a steak it starts out raw. How it turns out depends on how I season it and how well I cook it.
Also spend a little time looking at Guyton whom at first glance (mainly Senior Bowl stuff) I wasn't a massive fan.

dude is pretty damn athletic with ideal size for an OT. Great getting into the second level and directing guys in space. Great at pulling and absorbing contact. Solid anchor.

His hands need work (guys getting into his chest too much) and he's gotta get stronger for sure. I think that his biggest thing…needs to get stronger, would like a little more mauler attitude. Footwork needs to be more consistent, you can say that stuff about a lot of college lineman.

but he's got the movement skills/size you love. He's ideal for a zone-blocking team. Heavy man stuff, not so much imo. Honestly I've warmed up to him. Totally not done checking out him and other guys. He's probably a second rd grade, but will be taken in the 1st. OT prospect for sure.
RE: Mims, we've been duped!

how the hell does that happen lol?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Been seeing a lot of Mocks with Mims going in the 20's. Hopefully he drops but it's looking doubtful.
Share 49ersWebzone