There are 257 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Yeah that's a fair point.

If we're not in range to draft Latham or Mims, Jordan Morgan is my guy so far.

The problem is I think this is a great interior OL draft and a thin OT group. I think we'd have much better value drafting a center or guard with one of our first two picks than a OT.

Maybe tackle is an area we can supplement in FA?

Not too impressed outside of the top 4-5 guys.

I agree mostly with IOL or another position making more sense end of the 1st based on overall talent. I don't want to reach either.

I'm warming up to Guyton or Kinsley at 31. I haven't watch a ton of Morgan (only Senior Bowl stuff and I wasn't that impressed), the length is an issue though. I don't think SF will even have him on their board as a OT.

Maybe they make a move in FA. That would create some flexibility for sure.

I keep forgetting about Kingsley, I think because some sites has him listed as a guard.

To me, we'd be better off trading up in the first or trading down then selecting a tackle at 31. I just don't see it.

Give me the best corner or defensive end at 31 if JPJ, Fuaga, or the Alabama tackles don't fall.
I'm a fan of Tanor Bortolini if we can't get Jackson Powers or Frazier.

I believe Tanor had the best 3 cone at the combine, definitely athletic enough to play in our system.

I keep reading he's a starter with pro bowl potential, but will also be there late 3rd round. Seems like a no brainer. If that is the case I would take Powers/Frazier and him and kick one out to Guard.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I keep reading he's a starter with pro bowl potential, but will also be there late 3rd round. Seems like a no brainer. If that is the case I would take Powers/Frazier and him and kick one out to Guard.

To me if we draft Bortolini I'd want him to play guard over center anyway.. he has plenty of reps at guard and bio says he's slow at snapping (mainly shotgun) and what not. ..

Bortolini has a few things to work on in his game with the right coaching. First, his snap timing and quickness are slow. He isn't firing the ball back to the QB with good velocity or quickness. The ball takes a second or so to reach the QB, mostly in shotgun formations.
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 5, 2024 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by krizay:

To me if we draft Bortolini I'd want him to play guard over center anyway.. he has plenty of reps at guard and bio says he's slow at snapping (mainly shotgun) and what not. ..

Bortolini has a few things to work on in his game with the right coaching. First, his snap timing and quickness are slow. He isn't firing the ball back to the QB with good velocity or quickness. The ball takes a second or so to reach the QB, mostly in shotgun formations.

I'm fine with that. We need a guard and center so him and Guyton are fine by me.
We got some nice options to upgrade the line. I just hope Lynch doesn't wait til later rounds. I keep changing my mind as I like a few of them lol.
1st-Frazier
2nd-Kiran
3rd-DL/CB

Lets see how we do in Free agency and come back after lol
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
We got some nice options to upgrade the line. I just hope Lynch doesn't wait til later rounds. I keep changing my mind as I like a few of them lol.
1st-Frazier
2nd-Kiran
3rd-DL/CB

I don't envision Frazier going in the first. If that's who we want, we should trade down into the second. Drafting him at 31 would be a little rich for me.
I'm fine with that. We need a guard and center so him and Guyton are fine by me.

I don't see them replacing Brendel personally. They may draft a C who can play guard or vice versa but I don't think they'll draft a center with intent on starting him this year.

I also don't think they'll go IOL before round 3 either.

Just my gut feeling
1st-Frazier
2nd-Kiran
3rd-DL/CB

I don't envision Frazier going in the first. If that's who we want, we should trade down into the second. Drafting him at 31 would be a little rich for me.

BPA over need...then again we drafted Jake Moody lol
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
1st-Frazier
2nd-Kiran
3rd-DL/CB

BPA over need...then again we drafted Jake Moody lol

Yeah, just don't know how teams stack their boards. JPJ will certainly be the first to go. Will the Steelers(20) and Eagles(22) go OC in the first? It's looking like that with Cole being let go and Kelce retiring. You can make a case for Barton and Frazier also go to one of that team. But yeah, if we miss out a good player will drop on our lap (OT, DL,CB) and address other needs later.
Originally posted by krizay:

I don't see them replacing Brendel personally. They may draft a C who can play guard or vice versa but I don't think they'll draft a center with intent on starting him this year.

I also don't think they'll go IOL before round 3 either.

Just my gut feeling

You're probably right, but imo Brendal is just OK at best. Upgrading his spot would pay dividends immediately.

You're probably right, but imo Brendal is just OK at best. Upgrading his spot would pay dividends immediately.

I agree with everything you just said.
Just watching a little of Kingsley. Man there's a lot to work with there. Ideal measureables. Dude is a mauler, especially in the run game. He's got a strong punch. He's athletic and has no problem getting to the second level. Would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Has a solid anchor. He can overset and his footwork can be sloppy. That's something that will need coaching/reps. His feet can get "skinny" he can let guys get into his chest too often and it's seems like stunts/blitzing can be an issue for him right now…I think that's an awareness thing that you can improve with more reps. I believe he's only 21 right now? So he far from a finished product.

Overall at this point (can totally change my opinion). I think he's a second rd guy who I'd like to play at OT rather than OG (think he could play there though). I would feel much better getting him with our late 2nd vs our 31st overall pick. I kinda feel like that's the theme here…tons of good OTs, most of those guys are gonna be gone before they get to us. So at that point do we reach for an OT or go BPA elsewhere?

Very good analysis. The letting guys into his chest I saw as well. The awareness thing I hope can be taught. I guess I see him as a high 2nd. So if he's the guy do you just take him at 31? I like him more than Barton Guyton and Morgan and I think those are the comps there at 31 so yeah in that case get him.

I like that Adrian said he has some connections at BYU also that would have said so if there was fluff there. Would I rather have Mims? yeah probably but at what cost? We need to use like 9 of these 11 picks. Chapman posted a hypothetical trade with the Raiders that had us getting 44 and 70 something for the 31st. Man that would be tempting, But so risky
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Just watching a little of Kingsley. Man there's a lot to work with there. Ideal measureables. Dude is a mauler, especially in the run game. He's got a strong punch. He's athletic and has no problem getting to the second level. Would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Has a solid anchor. He can overset and his footwork can be sloppy. That's something that will need coaching/reps. His feet can get "skinny" he can let guys get into his chest too often and it's seems like stunts/blitzing can be an issue for him right now…I think that's an awareness thing that you can improve with more reps. I believe he's only 21 right now? So he far from a finished product.

Overall at this point (can totally change my opinion). I think he's a second rd guy who I'd like to play at OT rather than OG (think he could play there though). I would feel much better getting him with our late 2nd vs our 31st overall pick. I kinda feel like that's the theme here…tons of good OTs, most of those guys are gonna be gone before they get to us. So at that point do we reach for an OT or go BPA elsewhere?

Very good analysis. The letting guys into his chest I saw as well. The awareness thing I hope can be taught. I guess I see him as a high 2nd. So if he's the guy do you just take him at 31? I like him more than Barton Guyton and Morgan and I think those are the comps there at 31 so yeah in that case get him.

I like that Adrian said he has some connections at BYU also that would have said so if there was fluff there. Would I rather have Mims? yeah probably but at what cost? We need to use like 9 of these 11 picks. Chapman posted a hypothetical trade with the Raiders that had us getting 44 and 70 something for the 31st. Man that would be tempting, But so risky

Good analysis but I think Kingsley as a finished product will surpass alot of players taken ahead of him. I'm not sure about Mims and don't like the odds of tall tackles succeeding in the NFL. Jonathon Ogden and Orlando Pace are the only tall T that were great and that was how many generations ago? Him at 31 is not that much of a reach imo as to what I originally thought. There's alot of natural talent, strength and the fact that he's ambidextrous intrigues me to think he can eventually transition to LT. Raw just like Cam Latu transitioning from DE which I didn't know but that's why we develop and coach up these boys. Trying to manifest us to get em at 31
[ Edited by 49erFaithfullest on Mar 5, 2024 at 7:20 PM ]

There's been a lot of talk here about the Cardinals pursuing Christian Wilkins as one of their main FA targets so yeah, definitely that interior OL needs a major boost, for many reasons.
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Good analysis but I think Kingsley as a finished product will surpass alot of players taken ahead of him. I'm not sure about Mims and don't like the odds of tall tackles succeeding in the NFL. Jonathon Ogden and Orlando Pace are the only tall T that were great and that was how many generations ago? Him at 31 is not that much of a reach imo as to what I originally thought. There's alot of natural talent, strength and the fact that he's ambidextrous intrigues me to think he can eventually transition to LT. Raw just like Cam Latu transitioning from DE which I didn't know but that's why we develop and coach up these boys. Trying to manifest us to get em at 31

Eh. I think he's a good RT prospect but I don't ever see him becoming a dominant player at his position. I'm expecting McGlinchey with somewhat improved pass blocking. Is that worth #31? I dunno.
Share 49ersWebzone