There are 244 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Here's the difference though... people are suggesting we draft someone like Guyton from Oklahoma or Kingsley from BYU, both of which have worse technique on film than Mims.

So essentially what I'm saying is... experience means nothing if you have bad fundamentals.

Both of those guys I mentioned look more raw on film than Mims IMO.

I think when you're picking in the top 5-10, experience matters more, but our first pick is essentially a 2nd rounder... where there's no perfect prospects available and you have to take chances.

This x100

He has the same weaknesses as every other good OT.

But we've seen him have answers vs power. We've seen him have answers vs speed. We've seen him process stunts. We've seen him have the size, length, range, hand speed, foot speed, anchor, agility to make necessary improvements.

So ignore the fact that other "more experienced" tackles haven't shown these things, despite having more time to pick things up, for no other reason than prioritizing experience?
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Here's the difference though... people are suggesting we draft someone like Guyton from Oklahoma or Kingsley from BYU, both of which have worse technique on film than Mims.

So essentially what I'm saying is... experience means nothing if you have bad fundamentals.

I think when you're picking in the top 5-10, experience matters more, but our first pick is essentially a 2nd rounder... where there's no perfect prospects available and you have to take chances.

This x100

But we've seen him have answers vs power. We've seen him have answers vs speed. We've seen him process stunts. We've seen him have the size, length, range, hand speed, foot speed, anchor, agility to make necessary improvements.

So ignore the fact that other "more experienced" tackles haven't shown these things, despite having more time to pick things up, for no other reason than prioritizing experience?

Like in my write up. It's over when it's Mims vs power. Dude is a wall. No one is getting thru him. I think vs speed he's not as automatic. His feet are a little heavy at times. Same when he's out in space, he will truck dudes in the running game, he will also take some bad angles and get a little off balance. Totally get it when you're that freaking big lol.

that said, I don't think it's some horrible thing that he hasn't played a ton of football…it would be different if the film he provided was horrible and we're just projecting him based on traits. It's not like he played vs nobodies. He showed he can play. I see it as if that's his floor, that's pretty good. Coaching and reps should help him get even better. I worry more about injuries than him just being a bad OT at the next level.

I also like Guyton and Kingsley as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 7, 2024 at 5:17 AM ]

This x100

I am more worried about injury tbh.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

That's fair, if you're worried about injury to all freakishly huge and explosive athletes. Mims has no evidence of being "injury prone"
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

This x100

Yeah that can be said of every player on the field
I just fail to see the correlation between Lance and Mims, and how one situation has any bearing on the other. Of the film that we DO have, where are the concerns?

With regards to injury, I think caution should always be observed with prospects that are outlier freaky in size and athleticism (just like in basketball) but Mims has had one injury, so I don't think we should draw any conclusions there

Lack of snaps hurts development but yeah...I don't think the analogy is very good. The jump from QB at FCS to QB in the NFL is gigantic.

Mims had 803 snaps at a top SEC school at OT vs 289 pass attempts and 192 rushing attempts at an FCS school at QB.

QBs have a LOT more they have to worry about. Snaps played for them are critical because they have to see different looks, different schemes and show how they react to it. The limited pass attempts made Trey a very tough evaluation and obviously limited his growth as a passer. 803 snaps for Mims isn't a lot when you compare to guys who have like 2200 snaps played like Joe Alt. But it's also not Trey Lance territory.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah and I've already tossed out a bunch of good OT that are 6-7 or taller (forgot to add Tony Boselli). I don't see a problem at all. s**t there's a f**k ton of amazing OT that are 6-6 (Staley, Joe Thomas Anthony Munoz come to mind) we're talking about an inch lol.

I don't want you to be 6-8 300lbs (soaking wet) like MM was. Mims is built to protect someone's blindside.

The #1 tackle in the draft is nearly 6'9"
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah and I've already tossed out a bunch of good OT that are 6-7 or taller (forgot to add Tony Boselli). I don't see a problem at all. s**t there's a f**k ton of amazing OT that are 6-6 (Staley, Joe Thomas Anthony Munoz come to mind) we're talking about an inch lol.

I don't want you to be 6-8 300lbs (soaking wet) like MM was. Mims is built to protect someone's blindside.

The #1 tackle in the draft is nearly 6'9"
I don't care too much about size. Once they get around 6'5" or over it kind of becomes irrelevant. The main thing is whether they have the ability to move laterally and slide out to block the edge rushers.
Man Fautanu is such a stud. He moves so well and would be a home run pick for us. Zero chance he gets to 31. Not sure why people thought he was a IOL only guy?

Man Fautanu is such a stud. He moves so well and would be a home run pick for us. Zero chance he gets to 31. Not sure why people thought he was a IOL only guy?

Body type, no other reason. It has been known all year that he had close to 35" arms, so it was never about length. They just saw a relatively short and stubby guy. He definitely has the range to play tackle. He'd be amazing for us.
Originally posted by genus49:
I just fail to see the correlation between Lance and Mims, and how one situation has any bearing on the other. Of the film that we DO have, where are the concerns?

With regards to injury, I think caution should always be observed with prospects that are outlier freaky in size and athleticism (just like in basketball) but Mims has had one injury, so I don't think we should draw any conclusions there

Lack of snaps hurts development but yeah...

And everyone develops at different rates. With Lance, we had questions that couldn't be answered because we just didn't see certain things vs certain levels of competition. With Mims, he's already put on tape that he's further ahead in technical development than players like Guyton and Kingsley. If we're worried about experience just because of development, well, who's the more developed player?

Let's assume Albert Einstein and I have both never played a game of chess, but we want to learn. Is Einstein going to require as many "snaps" as I am to become proficient and excel at chess? Mims is simply starting at a higher base floor, with a greater natural propensity to excel.

Body type, no other reason. It has been known all year that he had close to 35" arms, so it was never about length. They just saw a relatively short and stubby guy. He definitely has the range to play tackle. He'd be amazing for us.

Give me Fautanu and Barton over Guyton and Kingsley all day.

I just doubt they'll be available at 31.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I like Bortolini with the 2nd pick.

1st round - OT
2nd round - Bortolinin

Do it!!!
Share 49ersWebzone