Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I like Bortolini with the 2nd pick.

1st round - OT
2nd round - Bortolinin

Do it!!!

I don't think you'll need to use such a high draft pick for Bortollini

2nd would be overdrafting him like crazy.

Agree. He should be available in the 4th or later.
I dont know about the 4th. With his combine I think he is a 3rd rd pick and perfect for the 49ers with their comp pick. I am all for taking 3 OL with the first 3 picks unless their is a player that falls that is clearly the BPA at corner or DL

Brandon Thorne has him ranked as IOL16, 119th overall prospect, and his comp is Ted Larsen. that is after the combine.
I think some of us may be getting carried away from the combine

Nagy thinks early day 3. I got no problem using that cowboy pick in the 4th for him or moving up in the 4th a little if they haven't taken someone yet.

honestly I think they're gonna resign Jon feliciano and Brendel is gonna be the starter at C this yr. Someone like Bortolini to develop for a year at center and compete at RG makes sense.

They will upgrade at OT via the draft.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 7, 2024 at 6:12 PM ]

I'm just in manic mode after the SB loss 🤣
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Nagy thinks early day 3. I got no problem using that cowboy pick in the 4th for him or moving up in the 4th a little if they haven't taken someone yet.

honestly I think they're gonna resign Jon feliciano and Brendel is gonna be the starter at C this yr. Someone like Bortolini to develop for a year at center and compete at RG makes sense.

They will upgrade at OT via the draft.

Yeah I mean I wouldn't say late round 3 is impossible but I'm expecting a lot of superior prospects to still be available there
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Brandon Thorne has him ranked as IOL16, 119th overall prospect, and his comp is Ted Larsen. that is after the combine.

Thats a weird comparison honestly. Ted Larsen was kind of a stumpy guy, I remember him when he played for the Cards, he moved well for his size but was a lot thicker and more slow footed overall.
I just watched my first tackle, Kingsley Suamataia, because I kept seeing Niners' fans mocking him at 31...

Bro, are you kidding me? I don't even know where to begin... Dude looks like a 330-pound Polynesian version of Mike McGlinchey--strong in run; poor in pass pro. Plays tall and CONSTANTLY gives up his chest; segmented, hoppy feet with s**tty kick slide; poor hand placement(wide/sloppy puncher (did show ability to reset)). I'm not an OL guy, but I know what good hands and feet look like. This dude's are a f**king mess. Also, something that has always bugged the hell out of me are OL that play passive and don't finish reps in pass pro. This dude seems borderline lackadaisical at times in pass pro. There's a rep or two where he stops playing in the middle of the rep and almost gets his QB hit.

edit maybe I started with a bad game? I just saw some clips on Twitter where his footwork is significantly cleaner at left tackle. Not so hoppy and keeping that post foot in the ground.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 11, 2024 at 12:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I just watched my first tackle, Kingsley Suamataia, because I kept seeing Niners' fans mocking him at 31...

Bro, are you kidding me? I don't even know where to begin... Dude looks like a 330-pound Polynesian version of Mike McGlinchey--strong in run; poor in pass pro. Plays tall and CONSTANTLY gives up his chest; segmented, hoppy feet with s**tty kick slide; poor hand placement(wide/sloppy puncher (did show ability to reset)). I'm not an OL guy, but I know what good hands and feet look like. This dude's are a f**king mess. Also, something that has always bugged the hell out of me are OL that play passive and don't finish reps in pass pro. This dude seems borderline lackadaisical at times in pass pro. There's a rep or two where he stops playing in the middle of the rep and almost gets his QB hit.

edit maybe I started with a bad game? I just saw some clips on Twitter where his footwork is significantly cleaner at left tackle. Not so hoppy and keeping that post foot in the ground.

Also, most of this applies to Guyton from Oklahoma as well, who is the prospect you should do next.
@ Hero, yup inconsistent describes Kingsley and that's why he'd be available that late. He's a boom or bust prospect that gets the hype based on potential

@WB, I feel the same about Guyton. Potential based on athleticism but his tape is kind of underwhelming and I just don't see it. Doesn't help that I have recency bias from seeing him get destroyed a few times at Senior Bowl

There's a significant drop-off at tackle once you hit the late 1st which is why I'd rather see them trade down and pick up the 1st or 2nd best guard or center instead of the 7th or 8th best tackle.

The gap from Alt to Suamataia is a lot bigger than the dropoff from Suamataia to Fisher and some of the other 2nd/3rd tier tackles.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Also, most of this applies to Guyton from Oklahoma as well, who is the prospect you should do next.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
@ Hero, yup inconsistent describes Kingsley and that's why he'd be available that late. He's a boom or bust prospect that gets the hype based on potential

@WB, I feel the same about Guyton. Potential based on athleticism but his tape is kind of underwhelming and I just don't see it. Doesn't help that I have recency bias from seeing him get destroyed a few times at Senior Bowl

The kid seems like a tough eval. I only had the time to go through one game yesterday, so I don't want to completely write him off. I didn't follow the Senior Bowl, but I saw some clips where looked really damn impressive. I'm wondering if he maybe improved from the Oregon game that I watched above to the Senior Bowl. I like that he's only 21 and seems to show some improvement. That's ultimately what you want in a talented prospect: an ascending player.

Need to watch more.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Originally posted by 49ers808:

The kid seems like a tough eval. I only had the time to go through one game yesterday, so I don't want to completely write him off. I didn't follow the Senior Bowl, but I saw some clips where looked really damn impressive. I'm wondering if he maybe improved from the Oregon game that I watched above to the Senior Bowl. I like that he's only 21 and seems to show some improvement. That's ultimately what you want in a talented prospect: an ascending player.

Need to watch more.

Texas and Oregon probably his two worst games. He never losses the tendency to play paddy cake and try to push his man out of the way rather than latching and control. I want offensive linemen that set the tone in run blocking AND pass pro

Need to watch more.

I think most of his issues are coachable other than his grind mindset/inner dog, whatever you want to call it. For a guy as big and freakish as he is with such good athleticism he should have been absolutely ragdolling defenders on the regular, its not like he was playing in the SEC but too often he came off kind of passive, blocking almost right up to just before the whistle and not through. The more I saw, the more I became iffy about him ever developing that mindset.

He reminds me way too much of DeAndre Ayton, different sport but a guy who despite his incredible physical gifts too often just looked like he was just happy to be out there. I think teams are going to need to carefully assess just how motivated he is to be great, not good or good enough in his mind but absolutely great and if he possess that inner beast to go out and smash people on the regular.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Need to watch more.

I think most of his issues are coachable other than his grind mindset/inner dog, whatever you want to call it. For a guy as big and freakish as he is with such good athleticism he should have been absolutely ragdolling defenders on the regular, its not like he was playing in the SEC but too often he came off kind of passive, blocking almost right up to just before the whistle and not through. The more I saw, the more I became iffy about him ever developing that mindset.

He reminds me way too much of DeAndre Ayton, different sport but a guy who despite his incredible physical gifts too often just looked like he was just happy to be out there. I think teams are going to need to carefully assess just how motivated he is to be great, not good or good enough in his mind but absolutely great and if he possess that inner beast to go out and smash people on the regular.

Meanwhile Barton plays like you stole his lunch money. Love his attitude.
Share 49ersWebzone