There are 221 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I just watched my first tackle, Kingsley Suamataia, because I kept seeing Niners' fans mocking him at 31...

Bro, are you kidding me? I don't even know where to begin... Dude looks like a 330-pound Polynesian version of Mike McGlinchey--strong in run; poor in pass pro. Plays tall and CONSTANTLY gives up his chest; segmented, hoppy feet with s**tty kick slide; poor hand placement(wide/sloppy puncher (did show ability to reset)). I'm not an OL guy, but I know what good hands and feet look like. This dude's are a f**king mess. Also, something that has always bugged the hell out of me are OL that play passive and don't finish reps in pass pro. This dude seems borderline lackadaisical at times in pass pro. There's a rep or two where he stops playing in the middle of the rep and almost gets his QB hit.

edit maybe I started with a bad game? I just saw some clips on Twitter where his footwork is significantly cleaner at left tackle. Not so hoppy and keeping that post foot in the ground.

Also, most of this applies to Guyton from Oklahoma as well, who is the prospect you should do next.
Mike McGlinchey is no where near as strong. Suamataia is raw untapped POTENTIAL that would be redshirting a year since Mckivitz got that extension
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Mike McGlinchey is no where near as strong. Suamataia is raw untapped POTENTIAL that would be redshirting a year since Mckivitz got that extension

They don't need guys redshirting, they need guys that contribute Year 1. This isn't a rebuilding team, with their first couple of picks they need immediate contributors.

And I'm less worried about his strength and more worried about his mentality. For all his strength and untapped potential, too often he played Care Bear soft rather than demolishing his opponents.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There's a significant drop-off at tackle once you hit the late 1st which is why I'd rather see them trade down and pick up the 1st or 2nd best guard or center instead of the 7th or 8th best tackle.

The gap from Alt to Suamataia is a lot bigger than the dropoff from Suamataia to Fisher and some of the other 2nd/3rd tier tackles.

Mims, Morgan, Guyton all gone by 31?

They don't need guys redshirting, they need guys that contribute Year 1. This isn't a rebuilding team, with their first couple of picks they need immediate contributors.

And I'm less worried about his strength and more worried about his mentality. For all his strength and untapped potential, too often he played Care Bear soft rather than demolishing his opponents.

I'm confident any OL or WR they draft will not be playing year one unless they have to. His runblocking is soft as pancakes, but if I doubt any OL is demolishing any opponent in a passblocking set.
[ Edited by 49erFaithfullest on Mar 11, 2024 at 3:55 PM ]
Finally getting around to prospects and I feel like the consensus pick is Tyler Guyton, which I like. Instant starter at RT and Colton can be a swing tackle.
There's a significant drop-off at tackle once you hit the late 1st which is why I'd rather see them trade down and pick up the 1st or 2nd best guard or center instead of the 7th or 8th best tackle.

The gap from Alt to Suamataia is a lot bigger than the dropoff from Suamataia to Fisher and some of the other 2nd/3rd tier tackles.

Yup, get the best player ready to contribute and there are a couple of them regardless of position. Now if we stick to OL, Barton or Frazier is a good pick there. But I would love to trade up with Miami if they are willing to trade down since they only have a few picks this year as they also have some holes after today's FA.

This absolutely no excuse for freaking Mckivitz to be starting at any point next year short of an injury.
I'm starting to think we may draft 4 OL.

Feliciano is hurt and may want to go elsewhere.

Trent probably only plays two more years max. Burford sucks. McKivitz sucks. Team has no faith in Jaylon Moore.

Banks is in a contract year.

We have 4 immediate openings for starting competition and depth as of right now, with Colton getting backup money, Moore not able to beat him out, and Burford benched this year for a guy who is now a free agent.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Trent probably only plays two more years max. Burford sucks. McKivitz sucks. Team has no faith in Jaylon Moore.

We have 4 immediate openings for starting competition and depth as of right now, with Colton getting backup money, Moore not able to beat him out, and Burford benched this year for a guy who is now a free agent.

Minimum of three IMO. But who knows, it'll probably be two DL and one DE.

then cut 2 they only keep 8 OL and have a rookie pull a Burford

Originally posted by DaleGribble:

This absolutely no excuse for freaking Mckivitz to be starting at any point next year short of an injury.
McKivitz didn't give up a sack in the playoffs, McCaffery broke a 50 yd TD to his side. Mckivitz has been pretty reliable
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Finally getting around to prospects and I feel like the consensus pick is Tyler Guyton, which I like. Instant starter at RT and Colton can be a swing tackle.

Guyton is not worth the 31st pick.
I just watched my first tackle, Kingsley Suamataia, because I kept seeing Niners' fans mocking him at 31...

Bro, are you kidding me? I don't even know where to begin... Dude looks like a 330-pound Polynesian version of Mike McGlinchey--strong in run; poor in pass pro. Plays tall and CONSTANTLY gives up his chest; segmented, hoppy feet with s**tty kick slide; poor hand placement(wide/sloppy puncher (did show ability to reset)). I'm not an OL guy, but I know what good hands and feet look like. This dude's are a f**king mess. Also, something that has always bugged the hell out of me are OL that play passive and don't finish reps in pass pro. This dude seems borderline lackadaisical at times in pass pro. There's a rep or two where he stops playing in the middle of the rep and almost gets his QB hit.

edit maybe I started with a bad game? I just saw some clips on Twitter where his footwork is significantly cleaner at left tackle. Not so hoppy and keeping that post foot in the ground.

Also, most of this applies to Guyton from Oklahoma as well, who is the prospect you should do next.

Whatever you watched, hero, must've been him as a freshman. Dude is only a sophomore coming out. He is raw af but has made strides since his first year. He's not a first rounder. I'll admit that. But he probably still goes in the second, or at least top 75 at worst IMO.

Whatever you watched, hero, must've been him as a freshman. Dude is only a sophomore coming out. He is raw af but has made strides since his first year. He's not a first rounder. I'll admit that. But he probably still goes in the second, or at least top 75 at worst IMO.

To be fair. Guyton is light on his feet and he has a good kick slide or kick set, but he lunges way too often… both in the run and pass game. He doesn't need to because he can recover, it just looks lazy at times. I'm pretty confident he wouldn't be a huge upgrade from Mckivits in year 1. Maybe he can become a great player. Any of the top corners, defensive tackles, center, guard, wide receivers would be a bigger upgrade IMO.
I think we need to move up in the first and pick Troy Fautanu. Instant starter at either RG or RT.
Share 49ersWebzone