There are 203 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Apparently Morgan had a great pro-day and teams think he can play outside. I don't know overall I'm not a massive fan at 31.

I want no part of him unless it's at guard. His t-Rex arms are a deal breaker for me. I already didn't see him as much better than a top 75, late 2-3 guy. He's not bad, but doesn't jump out as a highly probable star.

Nvm. One had him at 34 but pretty sure it is 32
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Mar 14, 2024 at 10:50 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Apparently Morgan had a great pro-day and teams think he can play outside. I don't know overall I'm not a massive fan at 31.

I haven't watched this dude, but I have him on my to-watch list because I've seen him picking up steam among 49er fans. I keep seeing people write him off because his arm length(32 7/8''). Arm length is the most overrated trait by scouts and virtually useless if a player doesn't know how to use it.

Hand speed, timing, placement, violence, grip strength, ability to use independent hands > length. Ideally, you want everything, but if a player lacks length but excels at everything I mentioned, then length is almost irrelevent. Joe Staley had 33" arms, but it didn't matter because he would consistently get his hands inside with quickness, violence and beating ends to the punch with excellent timing. I remember making this exact case for Rashawn Slater as well a few years ago who also had 33" arms.

Again, I haven't seen this dude yet, but writing a player off in the trenches because of their arm length is one of the dumbest things scouts do. This goes for OL and DL.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 14, 2024 at 11:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
I haven't watched this dude, but I have him on my to-watch list because I've seen him picking up steam among 49er fans. I keep seeing people write him off because his arm length(32 7/8''). Arm length is the most overrated trait by scouts and virtually useless if a player doesn't know how to use it.

Hand speed, timing, placement, violence, grip strength, ability to use independent hands > length. Joe Staley had 33" arms, but it didn't matter because he would consistently get his hands inside with quickness, violence and beating ends to the punch with excellent timing. I remember making this exact case for Rashawn Slater as well a few years ago who also had 33" arms.

Again, I haven't seen this dude yet, but writing a player off in the trenches because of their arm length is one of the dumbest things scouts do. This goes for OL and DL.

This is why everyone is writing off Graham Barton and saying he "projects" better inside. That might be true, but it also doesn't mean he can't play tackle. Dude literally played tackle in the SEC for 3 years and did it at a high level

Hand speed, timing, placement, violence, grip strength, ability to use independent hands > length. Joe Staley had 33" arms, but it didn't matter because he would consistently get his hands inside with quickness, violence and beating ends to the punch with excellent timing. I remember making this exact case for Rashawn Slater as well a few years ago who also had 33" arms.

To me, he's good, steady, technical finesse type. He seems kind of lacking some mean streak, finishing his blocks. He seems kind of heavy footed to me when I watch him. There are other prospects in the second tier with experience and better athletic profile. He's cool but there are other players that I like more.
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Mar 14, 2024 at 11:45 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This is why everyone is writing off Graham Barton and saying he "projects" better inside. That might be true, but it also doesn't mean he can't play tackle. Dude literally played tackle in the SEC for 3 years and did it at a high level
He went to Duke. That said, he was a stud as he was selected all ACC both play and academia wise & an all American. He also was a true freshmen and will only be 22 this next season. You want a plug & play stud that will be a long term fixture on the line, Barton is him!

For it's not about length for Barton, it's his movement. I don't like the way he looks at tackle. I get the same impression as I did with Josh Garnett. Something seems off and he seems likely to get overwhelmed by most NFL talent if he's trying to play OT full-time. His struggles to anchor in particular are a massive red flag for me.

Morgan is actually superior to him there.
I see a quality defender dropping to us in more mocks then a 1st round tackle at this time.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:

He went to Duke. That said, he was a stud as he was selected all ACC both play and academia wise & an all American. He also was a true freshmen and will only be 22 this next season. You want a plug & play stud that will be a long term fixture on the line, Barton is him!

Oops, don't know why I put SEC, thanks
I just read an article about Kyle's offense and the difficulty in teaching it. They point out that the O line has the biggest trouble learning it because most of the blocking techniques aren't familiar to players coming out of college. That extends to the draft and may limit the type of O linemen that Kyle likes. Many of the bigger guys aren't agile enough to play in his system.

Think back to the origins of this offense. Bill Walsh employed many of the same things and the Niners O line coach Bobb McKittrick taught them how to block. They preferred lighter, more mobile linemen. When Walsh left Mike Shanahan tweaked the offense even more and took it to Denver where he continued to prefer lighter mobile linemen. Kyle uses that same system more or less.

For it's not about length for Barton, it's his movement. I don't like the way he looks at tackle. I get the same impression as I did with Josh Garnett. Something seems off and he seems likely to get overwhelmed by most NFL talent if he's trying to play OT full-time. His struggles to anchor in particular are a massive red flag for me.

Barton is by far the best run blocker between him and Morgan/Guyton. But I did see him struggle with anchoring like you said, specifically in that FSU game.

Honestly, I don't really want any of those 3 guys. We should trade up on trade down for the Yale kid.

Originally posted by Waterbear:

Barton is by far the best run blocker between him and Morgan/Guyton. But I did see him struggle with anchoring like you said, specifically in that FSU game.

Honestly, I don't really want any of those 3 guys. We should trade up on trade down for the Yale kid.

Haynes+Yale would be some serious beef
If we have a guy we want who we think can start over Colton day one, trade up.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. OL is not my forte but I'd take Barton all day over Morgan, even at tackle, though I do think Barton goes to C or inside on Sundays
If we have a guy we want who we think can start over Colton day one, trade up.

I think everyone we are talking about is better than Colton and can start over him day one, even the guys we don't have to trade up for lol. But yeah, what we think is probably different than what they think
I think everyone we are talking about is better than Colton and can start over him day one, even the guys we don't have to trade up for lol. But yeah, what we think is probably different than what they think

I dont think thats true at all. Alot of tackles will be overdrafted in terms of immediately skills because they have traits to potentially develop into left tackles. I think theres only a handful that are Day 1 starters at RT and you will need to trade up for them.
Share 49ersWebzone