There are 216 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we have a guy we want who we think can start over Colton day one, trade up.

I think everyone we are talking about is better than Colton and can start over him day one, even the guys we don't have to trade up for lol. But yeah, what we think is probably different than what they think

The problem is, what if Nate Wiggins is available at 31, or Jer'zhan Newton? I think both are much bigger upgrades than the tier 2 tackles.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
The problem is, what if Nate Wiggins is available at 31, or Jer'zhan Newton? I think both are much bigger upgrades than the tier 2 tackles.

I'm really good with BPA at OL, DT or CB.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we have a guy we want who we think can start over Colton day one, trade up.

I think everyone we are talking about is better than Colton and can start over him day one, even the guys we don't have to trade up for lol. But yeah, what we think is probably different than what they think

Wouldn't be a problem for me lol. I'd easily take them, I'm a BPA draft guy, especially day one

Yes, you take Wiggins all day in that scenario.
Originally posted by scooterhd:

Yes, you take Wiggins all day in that scenario.

True, if we have a CB1 there that's OK too. I think we can land a McKivitz replacement within the first three rounds honestly.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Reason why I don't want to reach for an OT at 31. You can get Kiran with our 2nd, Blake Fisher and Jones at around our 3rd. Get the best player at 31 regardless of position on DL,CB, OL. I would love to get 2 OT and a stud OG.
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Mar 15, 2024 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Apparently Morgan had a great pro-day and teams think he can play outside. I don't know overall I'm not a massive fan at 31.

I haven't watched this dude, but I have him on my to-watch list because I've seen him picking up steam among 49er fans. I keep seeing people write him off because his arm length(32 7/8''). Arm length is the most overrated trait by scouts and virtually useless if a player doesn't know how to use it.

Hand speed, timing, placement, violence, grip strength, ability to use independent hands > length. Ideally, you want everything, but if a player lacks length but excels at everything I mentioned, then length is almost irrelevent. Joe Staley had 33" arms, but it didn't matter because he would consistently get his hands inside with quickness, violence and beating ends to the punch with excellent timing. I remember making this exact case for Rashawn Slater as well a few years ago who also had 33" arms.

Again, I haven't seen this dude yet, but writing a player off in the trenches because of their arm length is one of the dumbest things scouts do. This goes for OL and DL.

No doubt it's not just the arm length for me with him…dude lacks in the strength department for me. Saw him get tossed around at the senior bowl. I agree technique/athletic ability > length.

you bring two OTs both who had at least 33" arms and were more outliers than the norm. I don't even know if there's a starting OT with sub 33" arms in the NFL?

I'm more or less writing him off at 31because I think it would be a reach. I need to watch more though The arm length is not a positive for sure.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 15, 2024 at 5:32 PM ]

I haven't watch Wiggins. What I've read is he doesn't like tackling, kyle isn't gonna like that.
Jets have now signed Morgan Moses and Tyron Smith in free agency; very solid moves for them. This opens em up to go BPA, which may not be OT. Every bit helps for having a starting caliber tackle fall to us, or within range of a trade up

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Just for kicks I went back and looked at the draft opinions on Trent Williams. Mostly faorable but they were questioning his aggressiveness. Some questioned his run blocking while one said he would never be an elite pass blocker.

The point is the opinions were all over the place on Williams who ended up being one of the top left tackles in the game. It's fun to project but don't get too upset if your guy isn't picked. You just can't tell who is going to be the great ones and who will be just average.

Was there anyone credible saying this?
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Jets have now signed Morgan Moses and Tyron Smith in free agency; very solid moves for them. This opens em up to go BPA, which may not be OT. Every bit helps for having a starting caliber tackle fall to us, or within range of a trade up

Yep. Maybe another WR or Bowers on the menu now?

Curious to see what the Vikings do with 23 and who that ultimately gets flipped to. Had that previously penciled as the spot to move up to if somehow Fautanu fell that far.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Yep. Maybe another WR or Bowers on the menu now?

Curious to see what the Vikings do with 23 and who that ultimately gets flipped to. Had that previously penciled as the spot to move up to if somehow Fautanu fell that far.

I think it's pretty with clear with 99.9999% certainty it's ammunition to move up for a QB. My guess would be 5 to chargers, tho I suppose 3 shouldn't be off the table.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I haven't watch Wiggins. What I've read is he doesn't like tackling, kyle isn't gonna like that.

True, he's not the best tackler. But he can strike you. Wiggins has great anticipation and feel for zone coverage.

Im not the highest on Wiggins, but he's a superior prospect to Barton, Guyton, and Morgan IMO.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Reason why I don't want to reach for an OT at 31. You can get Kiran with our 2nd, Blake Fisher and Jones at around our 3rd. Get the best player at 31 regardless of position on DL,CB, OL. I would love to get 2 OT and a stud OG.

I'd really like to see the Niners draft two OTs this year. Ideally the best OT available at 31, and one of these guys later.

Start the OT drafted at 31, and let the later OT compete for RG.

Ideally, #31 could be groomed to replace TW at LT eventually, and the 2nd OT could be groomed to take over RT at the same time.
Share 49ersWebzone