There are 247 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Waterbear:
True, he's not the best tackler. But he can strike you. Wiggins has great anticipation and feel for zone coverage.

Im not the highest on Wiggins, but he's a superior prospect to Barton, Guyton, and Morgan IMO.

That's fair. I'm actually warming up to Guyton. More I watch the more I like. Barton is a safe pick and at worst is a really good OG for years. Morgan I think would be a reach. Again gotta watch more before I do my mock
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I think it's pretty with clear with 99.9999% certainty it's ammunition to move up for a QB. My guess would be 5 to chargers, tho I suppose 3 shouldn't be off the table.

Y
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Jets have now signed Morgan Moses and Tyron Smith in free agency; very solid moves for them. This opens em up to go BPA, which may not be OT. Every bit helps for having a starting caliber tackle fall to us, or within range of a trade up

Yep. Maybe another WR or Bowers on the menu now?

Curious to see what the Vikings do with 23 and who that ultimately gets flipped to. Had that previously penciled as the spot to move up to if somehow Fautanu fell that far.

I think it's pretty with clear with 99.9999% certainty it's ammunition to move up for a QB. My guess would be 5 to chargers, tho I suppose 3 shouldn't be off the table.

Yeah, I am more interested in who comes back to 23. If a lineman we like drops that far, jumping in front of the Cowboys could be crucial.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The problem is, what if Nate Wiggins is available at 31, or Jer'zhan Newton? I think both are much bigger upgrades than the tier 2 tackles.

I'm really good with BPA at OL, DT or CB.

Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Reason why I don't want to reach for an OT at 31. You can get Kiran with our 2nd, Blake Fisher and Jones at around our 3rd. Get the best player at 31 regardless of position on DL,CB, OL. I would love to get 2 OT and a stud OG.

I'd really like to see the Niners draft two OTs this year. Ideally the best OT available at 31, and one of these guys later.

Start the OT drafted at 31, and let the later OT compete for RG.

Ideally, #31 could be groomed to replace TW at LT eventually, and the 2nd OT could be groomed to take over RT at the same time.

Yeah, this is the year to add talent that will actually compete with the starters; not the depth.

We typically carry 9-10 OL. The same starting 5 are back. Now you need to attack C, G, T to push current starters down to depth. This is extra important as this system eats through OL as we've seen.
I'm all over Troy Fautanu and think he slips for us to trade up due to his size and projection to G. I think he can still play T with his shorter arms bc his feet are freaky fast.

Trade up for Troy Fautanu in the 1rst
and snag Kingsley Suamataia in the 2nd
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
I'm all over Troy Fautanu and think he slips for us to trade up due to his size and projection to G. I think he can still play T with his shorter arms bc his feet are freaky fast.

His arm length is fine at 34 1/2 " He should stay outside.. question is he will go top 25 and even 20?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Dont think the Chiefs have any regrets over taking Chris Jones even though they had more pressing needs elsewhere at the time. Going with need over talent regularly screws teams over.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Dont think the Chiefs have any regrets over taking Chris Jones even though they had more pressing needs elsewhere at the time. Going with need over talent regularly screws teams over.

True overall but we need a true 2i, not 3T. We'd be doing Hargrave wrong again. Save the 2i for day 2 or 3. Or the market. Those players are always available.

That said, it still wouldn't surprise me one bit if we go DT with 31. I think ShanaLynch will continue to try and win a Superbowl through the DL. It's ingrained in their core team building DNA beliefs.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 17, 2024 at 6:18 AM ]
True overall but we need a true 2i, not 3T. We'd be doing Hargrave wrong again. Save the 2i for day 2 or 3. Or the market. Those players are always available.

That said, it still wouldn't surprise me one bit if we go DT with 31. I think ShanaLynch will continue to try and win a Superbowl through the DL. It's ingrained in their core team building DNA beliefs.

If Chris Jones 2.0 is there. You take him. You don't worry about what you "need" you just get good players. Those players are not always available like you think.

dominant DT > dominant IOL
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 17, 2024 at 9:14 AM ]
I keep forgetting about Kingsley, I think because some sites has him listed as a guard.

To me, we'd be better off trading up in the first or trading down then selecting a tackle at 31. I just don't see it.

Give me the best corner or defensive end at 31 if JPJ, Fuaga, or the Alabama tackles don't fall.

Backreading here a bit as I do more research. As usual when it comes to the draft, I think you may be right on the above. Don't get me wrong, Kingsley Suamataia is still my draft crush, but I think he may be more of a project than I originally thought. Assuming our window is right effing now for one more run with our core guys, (with a DL overhaul), I think we need to go get a plug and play RT. I am not sure we have the luxury of waiting a season to plug Kingsley in as much as I would like to see that for reasons I wrote about in my crush post. Front office may feel differently. Maybe they see Colton starting there for half the season then plugging in a "project" RT. But if we are going to run it back one more time, I think the pick at 31 (or sooner) has to be an impact player. Sign me up for BPA 31 who can make an immediate impact, or trade up for the RT that can start day 1.

Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
I keep forgetting about Kingsley, I think because some sites has him listed as a guard.

To me, we'd be better off trading up in the first or trading down then selecting a tackle at 31. I just don't see it.

Give me the best corner or defensive end at 31 if JPJ, Fuaga, or the Alabama tackles don't fall.

Backreading here a bit as I do more research. As usual when it comes to the draft, I think you may be right on the above. Don't get me wrong, Kingsley Suamataia is still my draft crush, but I think he may be more of a project than I originally thought. Assuming our window is right effing now for one more run with our core guys, (with a DL overhaul), I think we need to go get a plug and play RT. I am not sure we have the luxury of waiting a season to plug Kingsley in as much as I would like to see that for reasons I wrote about in my crush post. Front office may feel differently. Maybe they see Colton starting there for half the season then plugging in a "project" RT. But if we are going to run it back one more time, I think the pick at 31 (or sooner) has to be an impact player. Sign me up for BPA 31 who can make an immediate impact, or trade up for the RT that can start day 1.

Touching on what Waterbear said…IMO there isn't a DE worth drafting at 31 that's gonna be there. This is a underwhelming class overall

I think if someone like Kool-aid is sitting there at 31 you run the card up. I like Guyton/barton and if Fautanu is magically there, yes please. Kingsley is a 2nd rd guy for me.

End of the day just draft good players. Sure we want instant impact, but these guys are our future and it's okay if they aren't full time guys day 1 imo.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

His arm length is fine at 34 1/2 " He should stay outside.. question is he will go top 25 and even 20?

Totally worth trading next years 1rst to move up to 20 to get Fautanu imo Think he can eventually take over for Trent Williams at LT but immediately start RT or RG. I like Suamataia's potential to develop to start at RT but RG at worst bc he can move too
Originally posted by NYniner85:

If Chris Jones 2.0 is there. You take him. You don't worry about what you "need" you just get good players. Those players are not always available like you think.

dominant DT > dominant IOL

Yeah, there's only 1 Chris Jones who destroys 49er OL in Superbowls in the most critical moments.

If Chris Jones 2.0 truly exists, he ain't going at 31.

Get dominant OL to block Chris Jones Wannabe 2.0 so we can finally win #6.
Yeah, everybody wants to upgrade the offensive line but short of trading up, what does that actually look like on the field in year 1? The entire OL is returning. Remind me how many rookie OL have started under KS? Banks was pick 48 and played 5 snaps.

If the 9ers go OL in the first or second, I imagine the pick will be applauded. And I wouldn't be against that. We have long term needs at the position. But don't be surprised if Morgan doesn't start over McKivitz or Sumataia doesn't start over Feliciano in year 1. Whereas if a Newton, Wiggins, Kool Aid, Mitchell fall to 31, I think they see the field right away. LB Cooper sees the field. And in that sense of drafting just thinking about next year a Dominick Puni, Roger Rosengarten bring the same depth. Barring injury of course.

Again, I'm not advocating against going OL, but if you don't see the position called right away, I don't think it's the end of the world. Lynch as rightfully put us in a position to draft BPA.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Touching on what Waterbear said…IMO there isn't a DE worth drafting at 31 that's gonna be there. This is a underwhelming class overall

I think if someone like Kool-aid is sitting there at 31 you run the card up. I like Guyton/barton and if Fautanu is magically there, yes please. Kingsley is a 2nd rd guy for me.

End of the day just draft good players. Sure we want instant impact, but these guys are our future and it's okay if they aren't full time guys day 1 imo.

That's a good way of looking at it. I'm starting to hear chatter of a S at 31. Any high end FS's in this draft?
Share 49ersWebzone