There are 249 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He simply has an eye for talent and development. And when he loses Superbowls because of his OL, he immediately rebuilds it and attacks it as a top priority.

He's had tier 1 OL when he won Superbowls. This last year it was high Tier 2 overall with a Tier 1 interior.

I told you you don't read. I already responded to your last paragraph in here.

He does? Only guys I'm seeing out of his 10 yrs in KC that turned into solid lineman were both guys from 2021, Mitch Morse (who they didn't resign), and spending the 1 overall pick on Eric Fisher lol.

Using some else's options on "tiers" to defend a stance is pretty wack man. You can't have a "tier 1" OL when you have avg to below avg starting OTs. That's the truth of it. Having the new GOAT at QB is what is winning him super bowls, let's keep s**t real.

I don't remember you telling me anything? Please post it again for me. I would like to see what you got, you should have plently of insight/thoughts on all these projects with the amount of time you spend talking about OL, right no hate or anything.

Creed? Buying OL is the same as recognizing the talent. He's done both, hence the current tier 1 interior. Yes, because his T's weren't awesome it dropped them down to tier 2.

That's a cheap way out. We've also seen PM get mauled and have his worst seasons when he doesn't have his tier 1 OL. This is why you need both. PM with a tier 1 OL just isn't fair. Watch what Andy does this year at T.

Previous page:
This year? I'm done. 7 years of off season plans in FA and the draft and ZERO matches from the FO.

They're on their own this year (so to speak). I'm no longer invested. If they fix it, we'll win. If they don't, we're the Bills.

To be fair, did you watch the superbowl? Eye test and statistics tell you our DL performed better vs their OL than vice versa. Their OL was not good our DL played a hell of a game.

Except when it mattered, of course. Like 2019. What was it, 1 combined pressure on PM in two 4th Q's and OT? And the reverse? Well, we know what happened. They also didn't give up a 50% pressure rate for the game, didn't have false starts, didn't have OL running into each other, singling Jones, leaving him unblocked, etc.

Big picture, Brock was a huge reason we were even IN that game under those circumstances. We saw PM in a Superbowl when he was pressured a ton. We saw Jimmy under those circumstances too.

Fix the OL. Like a podcaster just said: "Just fix the right side of the OL. How freaking hard IS that?"

They punted on FA. On to the draft...

I too want to upgrade the OL. But what you described is coaching. If you're going to die on the hill of the Chiefs OL performed well in the superbowl as your arbitrary "high Tier 2 unit" then you are willingly trolling.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Just saw Kuiper mock us Rosengarten with our 31. I thought many projects him much much later?

Looks a lil sloppy physically, but showed some surprising athleticism @ the combine. A tweener for sure....just not sure which 2 rounds he's in-between.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Just saw Kuiper mock us Rosengarten with our 31. I thought many projects him much much later?

Looks a lil sloppy physically, but showed some surprising athleticism @ the combine. A tweener for sure....just not sure which 2 rounds he's in-between.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2024/3/19/24105893/chop-robinson-roger-rosengarten-mel-kiper-trent-williams-colton-mckivitz-49ers-draft

Kiiper thinks w/more seasoning the guy would be a top 10 pick next year.

Worth taking a flyer on??
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
https://www.ninersnation.com/2024/3/19/24105893/chop-robinson-roger-rosengarten-mel-kiper-trent-williams-colton-mckivitz-49ers-draft

Hes certainly worth drafting. I think he pushes McKivitz right away for snaps. I actually think he would make a great guard as well. But 31 is too high for me. The appeal of RR in my mind is that you punt on OL early. Take BPA. Hopefully somebody falls. Maybe Newton, Wiggins, Mitchell. And then come back and look at Haynes or Rosengarten in round 2. Maybe move that pick up if needed.

The other option I really like, and boy does this make for a terrible day 1 as a fan, but you move the 31st back. There's going to be some trades ahead of us. The Cards or Chargers might move back early and gain some draft capital. Maybe they use that to make some other moves. Could trade 31 and 94, to the Chargers for 37 and 69. You lose the 5th year option, and you only really do this if you think you are getting the same guy. But this team needs some contributors. 37, 63, 69 gives you a better chance of getting some year 1 impact players. Maybe use one of the 4th rounders to move those picks up. Get 37, 55, 69. Spend 2 of those on O lineman and try to come away with 2 of Frazier, Rosengarten, Haynes, Beebe, Sumataia.
Geoff Schwartz is currently live talking potential picks for the 49ers' OL the draft w/ Guy Haberman. Cliff notes: Schwartz likes Jordan Morgan and Graham Barton at 31 for SF. He says both can play tackle in the 49ers' offense. He also said trading up is a terrible idea because of how deep the OL class is.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 20, 2024 at 10:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Geoff Schwartz is currently live talking potential picks for the 49ers' OL the draft w/ Guy Haberman. Cliff notes: Schwartz likes Jordan Morgan and Graham Barton at 31 for SF. He says both can play tackle in the 49ers' offense. He also said trading up is a terrible idea because of how deep the OL class is.

Hes right about trading up.
Schwartz loves Jackson Powers-Johnson. Thinks he's the best value pick at 31 if he's there. Could put him at guard right away or move to center in the future.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 20, 2024 at 10:27 AM ]
Always keep in mind that the Kyle's system requires a certain typeof lineman. Great players that excel in some other systems don't always work in Kyle's offense.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

I disagree. Mims and Latham fit our scheme and are much better players overall

I'd prefer we trade up or trade down, but staying pat and taking the best tackle is not the way to go this year IMO.

What good would it do to get a slight upgrade at RT in year 1 when our window is NOW. A corner, defensive end, defensive tackle, or wide receiver would all impact the team more.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

I disagree. Mims and Latham fit our scheme and are much better players overall

I'd prefer we trade up or trade down, but staying pat and taking the best tackle is not the way to go this year IMO.

What good would it do to get a slight upgrade at RT in year 1 when our window is NOW. A corner, defensive end, defensive tackle, or wide receiver would all impact the team more.

I think he said you're not giving the farm to move up. Like don't be tossing future 1sts to move up and get a OT.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Not sure what he means by seasoning? Technique wise he's already there imo. His issue is lack of overall length and core strength.

He's worth drafting on day 2. Day 1 would be ridiculous imo.
I like how he described OL building at the start of the podcast. Ideally, you want 5 quality players across the line with none of them needing to be the best at their position. He said an OL is only as good as the weakest link, and that while having Trent Wiliams is great, he almost becomes a crutch when the other guys aren't good, especially when it's crunch time and guys need to win their match ups.

unfortunately, the 49ers have multiple weak links.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 20, 2024 at 10:57 AM ]
I like how he described OL building at the start of the podcast. Ideally, you want 5 quality players across the line with none of them needing to be the best at their position. He said an OL is only as good as the weakest link, and that while having Trent Wiliams is great, he almost becomes a crutch when the other guys aren't good, especially when it's crunch time and guys need to win their match ups.

unfortunately, the 49ers have multiple weak links.

Totally agree!

We don't need pro-bowlers across the line. When you're tossing a career backup UDFA to be your starting center, a day 3 guy who's shown nothing and was actually cut at one point at RT, plus you've been rotating in-game for multiple yrs at RG…on a Super Bowl roster…well it's more than fair for fans to say enough is enough.

Unlike others I think Coach Foster is a damn good OL coach. With the overall talent he's been given they've exceeded expectations. Time to infuse some talent there.
Schwartz loves Jackson Powers-Johnson. Thinks he's the best value pick at 31 if he's there. Could put him at guard right away or move to center in the future.

My number 1 crush. Give me a center who dictates s**t. You can have a serviceable center who catches defenders in pass pro and gets in the way in run blocking, but I want a guy who latches on and drives you off the screen.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

My number 1 crush. Give me a center who dictates s**t. You can have a serviceable center who catches defenders in pass pro and gets in the way in run blocking, but I want a guy who latches on and drives you off the screen.

Everything I've read on him sounds like he could plug and play at C year 1. But seems like they like brendel
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Mar 20, 2024 at 11:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone