There are 260 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Now it's G minimizing cost them SB. Jfc go away
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I like how he described OL building at the start of the podcast. Ideally, you want 5 quality players across the line with none of them needing to be the best at their position. He said an OL is only as good as the weakest link, and that while having Trent Wiliams is great, he almost becomes a crutch when the other guys aren't good, especially when it's crunch time and guys need to win their match ups.

unfortunately, the 49ers have multiple weak links.

Totally agree!

We don't need pro-bowlers across the line. When you're tossing a career backup UDFA to be your starting center, a day 3 guy who's shown nothing and was actually cut at one point at RT, plus you've been rotating in-game for multiple yrs at RG…on a Super Bowl roster…well it's more than fair for fans to say enough is enough.

Unlike others I think Coach Foster is a damn good OL coach. With the overall talent he's been given they've exceeded expectations. Time to infuse some talent there.

Where has this NY been my whole life? Haha.

As good as Trent Williams is he did ruin one drive with a holding and false start. No one ever seems to mention this
Who's the last guard Andy Reid drafted in the 1st rd? Who's the last OT Andy Reid drafted in the 1st rd with the sole intention of moving him to OG? I'll wait.

Cry me a river, our backup RG at that point blew a block. f**king happens. There's half a dozen other things that led to both losses outside of IOL play. You're just too stubborn to admit it or have it be part of the conversation.

There's absolutely a difference. Outside of this one yr, they've valued OT MUCH more. Currently paying one the most $ in football and drafted another one top 10. They grabbed a dude off the street and turned him into a top 5 OG this past yr. He got hurt in the Super Bowl. Sucks and it happens.

Also, how's someone who's never played a position you intend to play him at "BPA"? That's a f**king projection. Nothing more. You're hoping he can play well, there's literally no proof. At the very least get a guy who can project at center which is BY FAR more valuable in this scheme.

I mean can you name me a player we drafted that played a totally different position and we converted him to something else…and it was a success?

If they want a OT move up and get one. If they want a OG wait and go after the other dozen or so that are damn good.

Go do some homework and see for yourself, there's plenty of IOL in this draft.

HOLY s**t!

We turned Jimmie Ward into a nickel corner. We moved Merton Hanks from CB to S. Lott was initially a corner. Roger Craig played FB. It happens.

In terms of OL, look at Zack Martin. Played LT in college but was drafted mid first round to play guard. Hes a little short, lacks arms length for tackle. Moved him inside right away. Lock for the hall of fame as a guard.
Originally posted by krizay:
Who's the last guard Andy Reid drafted in the 1st rd? Who's the last OT Andy Reid drafted in the 1st rd with the sole intention of moving him to OG? I'll wait.

Cry me a river, our backup RG at that point blew a block. f**king happens. There's half a dozen other things that led to both losses outside of IOL play. You're just too stubborn to admit it or have it be part of the conversation.

There's absolutely a difference. Outside of this one yr, they've valued OT MUCH more. Currently paying one the most $ in football and drafted another one top 10. They grabbed a dude off the street and turned him into a top 5 OG this past yr. He got hurt in the Super Bowl. Sucks and it happens.

Also, how's someone who's never played a position you intend to play him at "BPA"? That's a f**king projection. Nothing more. You're hoping he can play well, there's literally no proof. At the very least get a guy who can project at center which is BY FAR more valuable in this scheme.

I mean can you name me a player we drafted that played a totally different position and we converted him to something else…and it was a success?

If they want a OT move up and get one. If they want a OG wait and go after the other dozen or so that are damn good.

Go do some homework and see for yourself, there's plenty of IOL in this draft.

HOLY s**t!

Joe Staley was a TE to LT. Dashon Goldson was a CB to FS and so was Ronnie Lott. Delanie Walker was a WR to TE. Alex Boone was a T to G. Ahmad Brooks was a MLB to Edge. Carlos Rodgers was #1 but slid to Nickle. Cameron Latu was a DE to TE. lol the last one was a joke but still yet to be determined.

I'm really hoping for Troy Fautanu who may slip bc his height and projection to G or C but I think he can still play T. Would require a trade up but totally worth it bc a draft with this OL depth is few and far between.
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Joe Staley was a TE to LT. Dashon Goldson was a CB to FS and so was Ronnie Lott. Delanie Walker was a WR to TE. Alex Boone was a T to G. Ahmad Brooks was a MLB to Edge. Carlos Rodgers was #1 but slid to Nickle. Cameron Latu was a DE to TE. lol the last one was a joke but still yet to be determined.

I'm really hoping for Troy Fautanu who may slip bc his height and projection to G or C but I think he can still play T. Would require a trade up but totally worth it bc a draft with this OL depth is few and far between.

Hard to see Fautanu getting past his former OC now with the Seahawks at pick 16.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Schwartz loves Jackson Powers-Johnson. Thinks he's the best value pick at 31 if he's there. Could put him at guard right away or move to center in the future.

i cant see him falling anywhere near us but if he did id run the card up myself lol

I think with Donald retiring, maybe they go Dline (referring to the Rams who he was mocked to weeks ago).
Originally posted by genus49:
Love it. Also, if you can play T in this scheme, you can play G too.
McGlinchey said the G's in this system are essentially, the workhorses.

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."

I'm seeing a number of T's projected to slide inside. That's probably ideal in our system, given how much they are on the move.

I'm not using a 1st to convert a OT to IOL, especially if it's to OG.

I know you wouldn't. You love losing Superbowls because of dudes like Mike Person and Spencer Burford.

Andy Reid disagrees.

The overall point was there isn't much difference between T and G in this system. If we get a "pure" T at 31 and grab another with the 2nd or 3rd pick, he might project inside in this system.

I'm just saying don't discount picking a T to play G if he's your BPA.

They are athletic workhorses in this system.

I'm team NC this draft. Load up on the big boys!

The team is solid across the board but the OL was our weak link, almost getting away with it shouldn't be a reason to try it again. Aaron Donald may be out of the division but there are plenty of talented interior defenders who can make things hell for our offense. And if we plan on beating KC...Chris Jones is a hell of a problem we need to deal with.

I don't want the 49ers to reach for OL so if there is someone too good to pass up, fine take BPA but hoping it lines up with OL and we take at least 2 if not 3 of them.

My man.

I'm in the same boat on BPA. That said, they are in prime position to really make strides in "fixing" the OL. It was a tier 2 unit last year (beyond most expectations back in TC) and with a couple moves, could really become younger and stronger and help take this offense to new heights.

It's a 2 year project, IMHO. The hope is the youngsters (C/G/T) learn from the vets and slowly get integrated in and by the end of the 17 games, are hitting their stride.

I think if we hit OL on all 3 days, the rookies should be talented enough where our baseline is last year's line and by season's end, we should be pretty good. But they have to commit. Draft those guys, coach them up, and get them playing. Let them compete to get those starting jobs. I am thrilled at the though of Brock playing behind just an AVERAGE pass blocking O line+ upgraded to above average on the right side where we can run either way to great success. We should get back to the Purdy for 30 point minimum if we commit to this.
As good as Trent Williams is he did ruin one drive with a holding and false start. No one ever seems to mention this

They're too busy with narrative-construction to discuss what really happened.
I like how he described OL building at the start of the podcast. Ideally, you want 5 quality players across the line with none of them needing to be the best at their position. He said an OL is only as good as the weakest link, and that while having Trent Wiliams is great, he almost becomes a crutch when the other guys aren't good, especially when it's crunch time and guys need to win their match ups.

unfortunately, the 49ers have multiple weak links.

Totally agree!

We don't need pro-bowlers across the line. When you're tossing a career backup UDFA to be your starting center, a day 3 guy who's shown nothing and was actually cut at one point at RT, plus you've been rotating in-game for multiple yrs at RG…on a Super Bowl roster…well it's more than fair for fans to say enough is enough.

Unlike others I think Coach Foster is a damn good OL coach. With the overall talent he's been given they've exceeded expectations. Time to infuse some talent there.

Where has this NY been my whole life? Haha.

He certainly was an issue himself. Now, back to all the OL the FO won't pick up. Haha.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."

I'm seeing a number of T's projected to slide inside. That's probably ideal in our system, given how much they are on the move.

I know you wouldn't. You love losing Superbowls because of dudes like Mike Person and Spencer Burford.

Andy Reid disagrees.

The overall point was there isn't much difference between T and G in this system. If we get a "pure" T at 31 and grab another with the 2nd or 3rd pick, he might project inside in this system.

The team is solid across the board but the OL was our weak link, almost getting away with it shouldn't be a reason to try it again. Aaron Donald may be out of the division but there are plenty of talented interior defenders who can make things hell for our offense. And if we plan on beating KC...Chris Jones is a hell of a problem we need to deal with.

I don't want the 49ers to reach for OL so if there is someone too good to pass up, fine take BPA but hoping it lines up with OL and we take at least 2 if not 3 of them.

My man.

I'm in the same boat on BPA. That said, they are in prime position to really make strides in "fixing" the OL. It was a tier 2 unit last year (beyond most expectations back in TC) and with a couple moves, could really become younger and stronger and help take this offense to new heights.

It's a 2 year project, IMHO. The hope is the youngsters (C/G/T) learn from the vets and slowly get integrated in and by the end of the 17 games, are hitting their stride.

I think if we hit OL on all 3 days, the rookies should be talented enough where our baseline is last year's line and by season's end, we should be pretty good. But they have to commit. Draft those guys, coach them up, and get them playing. Let them compete to get those starting jobs. I am thrilled at the though of Brock playing behind just an AVERAGE pass blocking O line+ upgraded to above average on the right side where we can run either way to great success. We should get back to the Purdy for 30 point minimum if we commit to this.

It's so hard to picture Kyle/Foerster letting 2-3 rookies start but maybe they'll let them platoon at C, RG & RT until they get their reps and experience up before unleashing them full time.

But we gotta draft them first! Let's go!!
It's so hard to picture Kyle/Foerster letting 2-3 rookies start but maybe they'll let them platoon at C, RG & RT until they get their reps and experience up before unleashing them full time.

There is no chance Kyle will have 3 rookie OL playing. The OL would need to have 3 starter out with injury for 3 rookies to start. He could have a rookie Guard or a rookie tackle. If there is a rookie right tackle I think they move McKivitz to right guard and the rest of the rookie are backup and move into the line up next year.
Originally posted by dlance:

There is no chance Kyle will have 3 rookie OL playing. The OL would need to have 3 starter out with injury for 3 rookies to start. He could have a rookie Guard or a rookie tackle. If there is a rookie right tackle I think they move McKivitz to right guard and the rest of the rookie are backup and move into the line up next year.

Honestly, when the FO punted on FA (no, Hunt was not the only FA available), I had these same thoughts. It's a 2 year plan now simply because they are rookies and because of the complexity and intricacies of this system.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 22, 2024 at 6:03 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Andy Reid disagrees.

My man.

No rookie is starting at center. RG and RT are a low bar however.
The 49ers did not punt on FA
Share 49ersWebzone