There are 237 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Don't forget how someone mentioned "punt on FA" and now he runs with it every post.

Is Ben Bartch and John Feliciano an upgrade over Ben Bartch and John Feliciano?

They certainly didn't punt in FA for the DL, huh?

They didn't address the OL in FA. You're right. They "punted". The funny thing is someone else used those choice of words and then you ran with the phrase. It's annoying to me when someone uses someone else's term or phrase constantly thereafter, as if it's their own.

Oh really? I didn't catch that. It's a common term. I hope it wasn't Cohn. If so, my bad! LOL
Don't forget how someone mentioned "punt on FA" and now he runs with it every post.

They didn't address the OL in FA. You're right. They "punted". The funny thing is someone else used those choice of words and then you ran with the phrase. It's annoying to me when someone uses someone else's term or phrase constantly thereafter, as if it's their own.

Oh really? I didn't catch that. It's a common term. I hope it wasn't Cohn. If so, my bad! LOL

Oh you definitely caught it. It's your new favorite thing to say. It is a common term, just not one you used to use often. It fits your O-line narrative and now you just can't help yourself.

Oh you definitely caught it. It's your new favorite thing to say. It is a common term, just not one you used to use often. It fits your O-line narrative and now you just can't help yourself.

I'm confused. I'm the one who said it two pages back (#703) but you're implying someone else said it first and now I'm using it as my own?

It's annoying to me when someone uses someone else's term or phrase constantly thereafter, as if it's their own.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 23, 2024 at 12:51 PM ]

I'm confused. I'm the one who said it two pages back (#703) but you're implying someone else said it first and now I'm using it as my own?

It's annoying to me when someone uses someone else's term or phrase constantly thereafter, as if it's their own.

Absolutely. I saw someone use the phrase earlier this week. Then I watched as it kind of caught on. It wasn't you and I don't feel like going back multiple pages. Not just two pages ago. Plus it might not have even been this exact thread.

Point is now the naysayers are using it frequently and it annoys me. I think you just got the brunt of it and I apologize for that.

Absolutely. I saw someone use the phrase earlier this week. Then I watched as it kind of caught on. It wasn't you and I don't feel like going back multiple pages. Not just two pages ago. Plus it might not have even been this exact thread.

Point is now the naysayers are using it frequently and it annoys me. I think you just got the brunt of it and I apologize for that.

I gotcha. All good. Seriously, no biggie.

Brock is a true MVP candidate now so next time, I'll say the "FO passed on the OL in FA."

Haha. Cheers.

Brock is a true MVP candidate now so next time, I'll say the "FO passed on the OL in FA."

Haha. Cheers.

😂. Cheers brother. I've vented and now I'm moving on.

Haha. Cheers.

😂. Cheers brother. I've vented and now I'm moving on.

Moving on to drafting OL!

You're approaching this wrong. The question is, WHO and HOW could they have upgraded over Ben Bartch and John Feliciano. What players were definitive upgrades AND fit into the financial structure mandated by our current cap situation? If those options exist, and the niners ignored them, then yes, they punted. But if you're concerned that we didn't spend 17 million dollars that we don't have on a guard that is younger but not an immediate upgrade over Feliciano, well then, like I said, you're trolling.

As for your comments on the DL, are you suggesting we over spent? We literally let AA walk. We signed Floyd for cheaper than Chase. Do you really think Drake Jackson and player that doesn't exist is better than Leonard Floyd and Feliciano?
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Joe Staley was a TE to LT. Dashon Goldson was a CB to FS and so was Ronnie Lott. Delanie Walker was a WR to TE. Alex Boone was a T to G. Ahmad Brooks was a MLB to Edge. Carlos Rodgers was #1 but slid to Nickle. Cameron Latu was a DE to TE. lol the last one was a joke but still yet to be determined.

I'm really hoping for Troy Fautanu who may slip bc his height and projection to G or C but I think he can still play T. Would require a trade up but totally worth it bc a draft with this OL depth is few and far between.

You're missing the point. We saw Joe play LT in college. Ronnie Lott Played S at USC. Latu played TE in college.

everyone else you mentioned was a late rd pick or USFA. A lot less risked overall moving them a round.

I don't want to use a first rd pick on a player with the intention of moving him to a different position he played in college, especially OT to OG. I could stomach OT to C because C is a more valuable position than OG.
He buys them. Because he sees the value of having tier 1 play at C+T or G-C-G.

You're too stubborn to realize minimizing the G position has cost us Superbowl wins in the end. And the entire OL in the Superbowl was a hot mess. Tier 5 level play. If that was even a competent OL, it would have been a blowout.

Alex Boone. Half our current OL. Tons if T's are projected to play inside because of the length of their arms, height, weight, lack of athleticism, etc. T-to-G might be THE most common switch in the NFL.

At 31, the odds of you getting a top C and G are great. Far better than the 10th best T. Go BPA there. You don't pass on that because of an archaic view of the value of G's...esp. in this system. Especially after it's cost you 2 Superbowls.

See the light, brother. You're so close.

He bought one lol. He got rid of a better OT for a worse one. He didn't replace his RT issue via the draft. He grabbed a career subpar one.

You're too stubborn to acknowledging ANYTHING else that led to those losses because it devalues your offensive guard or bust crap.

Who's the great OG/C that are suppose to be there at 31? Talk about them and tell me why they fit? Instead of constantly dodging the question and just constantly complaining.

Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

You're approaching this wrong. The question is, WHO and HOW could they have upgraded over Ben Bartch and John Feliciano. What players were definitive upgrades AND fit into the financial structure mandated by our current cap situation? If those options exist, and the niners ignored them, then yes, they punted. But if you're concerned that we didn't spend 17 million dollars that we don't have on a guard that is younger but not an immediate upgrade over Feliciano, well then, like I said, you're trolling.

As for your comments on the DL, are you suggesting we over spent? We literally let AA walk. We signed Floyd for cheaper than Chase. Do you really think Drake Jackson and player that doesn't exist is better than Leonard Floyd and Feliciano?

You tell me. It's not ONE year but EIGHT off seasons of FA of which they only bought one legit C.

As to the DL, again, this is their own fault. They buy 1 year annual contracts so need to do this every year. They draft poorly as well. So again, they're forced to buy again instead of using those funds for other areas of the team. Areas that ACTUALLY cost them Superbowls.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 23, 2024 at 3:51 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Joe Staley was a TE to LT. Dashon Goldson was a CB to FS and so was Ronnie Lott. Delanie Walker was a WR to TE. Alex Boone was a T to G. Ahmad Brooks was a MLB to Edge. Carlos Rodgers was #1 but slid to Nickle. Cameron Latu was a DE to TE. lol the last one was a joke but still yet to be determined.

I'm really hoping for Troy Fautanu who may slip bc his height and projection to G or C but I think he can still play T. Would require a trade up but totally worth it bc a draft with this OL depth is few and far between.

You're missing the point. We saw Joe play LT in college. Ronnie Lott Played S at USC. Latu played TE in college.

everyone else you mentioned was a late rd pick or USFA. A lot less risked overall moving them a round.

I don't want to use a first rd pick on a player with the intention of moving him to a different position he played in college, especially OT to OG. I could stomach OT to C because C is a more valuable position than OG.

That's your issue. A high end G will help everyone on the line. The OL is a unit. You're only as strong as your weakest link (you've already agreed with Hero/Schwartz on that).

I agree that at 31, I don't want to see a position move. I'm with you. BUT the T-G switch is by far the most common and successful of all the moves at the NFL level. A good chunk of T's are already being pinned to G at the next level.

And to clarify, I was talking about not ruling out a T after 31 and considering a position switch if that was the BPA. It's far less of an issue in this system. Also, not ruling out a top G at 31 if that's BPA...just because it's a "G." That's silly. Especially coming from a 49er fan at this junction.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 23, 2024 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

He has always missed that point. The team signs DL because you can add pieces for cheaper because those guys don't play every snap. OL play every snap so the ones that believe they are full time starters will always demand more money, which is why you get an average guard like Hunt making 20 mil.

All he care about is making splash signings. Doesn't matter if they work or not. Still in denial about Orlando Brown being a terrible FA signing for Cincinnati last season.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Mar 23, 2024 at 3:56 PM ]
He buys them. Because he sees the value of having tier 1 play at C+T or G-C-G.

You're too stubborn to realize minimizing the G position has cost us Superbowl wins in the end. And the entire OL in the Superbowl was a hot mess. Tier 5 level play. If that was even a competent OL, it would have been a blowout.

Alex Boone. Half our current OL. Tons if T's are projected to play inside because of the length of their arms, height, weight, lack of athleticism, etc. T-to-G might be THE most common switch in the NFL.

At 31, the odds of you getting a top C and G are great. Far better than the 10th best T. Go BPA there. You don't pass on that because of an archaic view of the value of G's...esp. in this system. Especially after it's cost you 2 Superbowls.

See the light, brother. You're so close.

He bought one lol. He got rid of a better OT for a worse one. He didn't replace his RT issue via the draft. He grabbed a career subpar one.

You're too stubborn to acknowledging ANYTHING else that led to those losses because it devalues your offensive guard or bust crap.

Who's the great OG/C that are suppose to be there at 31? Talk about them and tell me why they fit? Instead of constantly dodging the question and just constantly complaining.

He buys OL nearly every year. Why minimize it? He learned. Don't be surprised if he drafts a T high to add to the tier 1 interior he already drafted/bought.

I have a grocery list of reasons of this team for every loss. But you're in the smallest of minorities left if you can't see the OL was at the grand top of that list for the loss...as easily predicted annually.

Nope, not going down that rabbit hole. I've had 7 years of plans. Like you've had 8 years of starting this thread with zero return. What's the point?

They either fix it or they don't.

IFFFFF they draft an OL, I'll come back in here to see what you and others originally thought of the player and review then as there are legit takes in here of people who pay as close attention to college football as they do the 49ers. I respect that. Just like I appreciate you making this thread annually.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM ]

He doesn't know. He's just gonna wait till some random guy performs in the league and lament not drafting him like he always does.

Spends all of his time talking about how the OL lost us SB's then when he's called on that reverts back to his laundry list. Yet you can look throughout this entire forum and the only thing he has ever posted about needing to improve is special teams. Never secondary. Never QB when Jimmy was here. Never skill players or lb depth. Just OL and Special Teams.
Share 49ersWebzone