There are 275 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Was hoping those 3 would be going more towards the backend of the 2nd and into the 3rd.

Always hard to know. Teams grades on OL always seem to vary.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Talk about an ideal fit!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Right, because they're all being bought in FA instead.

It's not low if you use it to build a tier 1 interior instead of the more traditional T-C-T priority. I like T-C-T as well but there are different ways of building a top unit.

Obviously your idea of minimizing the importance of G has been a proven colossal failure.

So yeah, let's not do that anymore.

Above anything else, just add some effing talent to this unit. No matter the position "value."

It's no surprise the 3 (*edit, 4) most proven wrong posters on the subject are in here back to back to back. Oh, the ironing.

They're being bought because teams can just draft another one.

dude if I see you write "tier" one more time I'm gonna 🤮

Acting like it was JUST a OG that lost the SBs to push a narrative is the most arrogant s**t. Again this is a OL prospect page. You clearly don't know s**t about any of them. So go complain in the OL page. that's all you're good at doing.
That's it huh, after all these years? Just bought/traded Thuney last year. That's it.

Yeah, they draft/develop far better than us. 2019 was a tier 1 OL. Why can't we do that here?

Yeah that's it if you f**king paid attention. None of those IOL were "tier 1" guys in 2019. They paid for a OG that was already developed. A f**king 3rd round player! They lost him in the SB and it didn't matter….you know why? Because they have f**king Mahomes.

Where was this tier 1 OL when Alex Smith was in KC? Where was your constant whining about how great they were then?
I don't know about 31 but trading back a bit and taking someone like Beebe, Haynes or Mahogany wouldn't be that crazy. Beebe likely goes within the first five or six picks of the 2nd round and I'm guessing Haynes won't be far behind.

Im a big fan of Haynes I won't hate a trade down if it made sense. I wouldn't hate moving up to get him in the second as well.

the closer we get to the draft, the more it seems drafting OL in the first is gonna be a reach.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
He will talk about the guys he like from this draft in a year after he cherry picks who did well.

Pretty much. Then have the audacity to talk about others being wrong all the time.

I'd rather do my homework, have my takes to discuss, & not get everything right….then pretend I know anything about OL, using Brandon Thorn as my only resource and diminish anything outside of my thought process on what matters.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Was hoping those 3 would be going more towards the backend of the 2nd and into the 3rd.

Always hard to know. Teams grades on OL always seem to vary.

This. That's the thing with OL, not every team runs the same scheme and that pushes up/drops prospects.

This is what I'm talking about. He's currently ranked as the 60th overall draft prospect on mock draft database. We don't need to draft a OG 31st overall, let alone take a OT that's gonna be a convert. I f**king hate that idea in the 1st.
Talk about an ideal fit!

Originally posted by NYniner85:
This is what I'm talking about. He's currently ranked as the 60th overall draft prospect on mock draft database. We don't need to draft a OG 31st overall, let alone take a OT that's gonna be a convert. I f**king hate that idea in the 1st.

Rankings on online databases are meaningless. Every year players go way earlier and way later than databases built with limited information imply. Beebe is OG #1 in this draft, he's not making it to Pick 60.

The key thing is getting a starting quality player with their first draft pick, whether that's at 31 or even if you trade back a few spots. If they think Beebe is the type to be a ten year starter at guard with Pro Bowl upside, I have no issue with it. They've been applying band-aids to the interior OL since 2017 and it has bitten them in the ass twice now in the SB.

So I'm fine if they go guard or just about any other position besides K, P, LS, QB and RB as long as they believe that player can be an immediate contributor as a rookie.

Rankings are meaningless but you just ranked Beebe...lol.

On a year like this where we're desperate for a talented tackle,...we're going that way if we stay put and we'd only risk taking an OG if we knew he'd be dominant.

Fautanu and Barton can both end up being guards and are probably better. Only thing that would make Beebe the top guard is because his versatility isint mentioned as much as these 2 other guys (as an example).

There's no rhyme or reason to lean towards a guard if the major need is is tackle, and talent for the position is well within reach.

I'd se us going with BPA over such a scenario.
Originally posted by random49er:
Rankings are meaningless but you just ranked Beebe...lol.

On a year like this where we're desperate for a talented tackle,...we're going that way if we stay put and we'd only risk taking an OG if we knew he'd be dominant.

Fautanu and Barton can both end up being guards and are probably better. Only thing that would make Beebe the top guard is because his versatility isint mentioned as much as these 2 other guys (as an example).

There's no rhyme or reason to lean towards a guard if the major need is is tackle, and talent for the position is well within reach.

I'd se us going with BPA over such a scenario.

Overall rankings are meaningless, you can have a dozen people and they'll rank the prospects overall differently but usually everyone settles in on the top two or three players at each position. Other guys might be looked at as tackles or guards possibly, Beebe is the top pure guard in the draft class. He's not playing tackle, he's not playing center, he's going to be a guard in the NFL and very likely a starter as a rookie.

There's also an argument to be made for not picking the 7th or 8th best tackle simply because you perceive a need at tackle versus picking the top guard in the draft class when you absolutely have a need there too.

Now this being Shanahan, I fully expect that he'll continue to undervalue the interior and the 49ers will continue getting f**ked over in the playoffs by defensive tackles that they simply can't block but at least the options are there.
I just read the new mock draft at the top of the page. In a draft loaded with O line talent and the Niners needing an upgrade, he has them taking one guard in the 2nd round and a tackle later on. That's it. He has them taking Koll aid McKinstry in the first. On paper this would be a terrible draft for the Niners.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I just read the new mock draft at the top of the page. In a draft loaded with O line talent and the Niners needing an upgrade, he has them taking one guard in the 2nd round and a tackle later on. That's it. He has them taking Koll aid McKinstry in the first. On paper this would be a terrible draft for the Niners.

I have zero problem with the players taken. Walking out of the draft with Haynes and Jones would be outstanding, I just don't believe that they'll be there at those spots.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I have zero problem with the players taken. Walking out of the draft with Haynes and Jones would be outstanding, I just don't believe that they'll be there at those spots.

You're okay with McKinstry at #1? He would be okay but certainly not my first choice. One guard and one tackle in a draft loaded with O line talent is a gamble. I would prefer 3 or 4 O lineman. That gives them a better chance of finding a good one that works in their system.
Share 49ersWebzone