There are 278 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
You're okay with McKinstry at #1? He would be okay but certainly not my first choice. One guard and one tackle in a draft loaded with O line talent is a gamble. I would prefer 3 or 4 O lineman. That gives them a better chance of finding a good one that works in their system.

Zero problem with it. McKinstry is good value there assuming the medicals check out. Haynes would be an instant starter at guard and potentially a center of the future. Jones would be strong competition for McKivitz right off the bat. Only thing that mock doesn't hit is a space-filling nose tackle.
No problem with CB in the first.
If the top tackles are gone I have no issue with an outside CB with the first pick. There are several that would be big upgrade opposite Ward.
In that scenario I would like a small trade down then use that compensation to move up a little with our 2nd or 3rd pick.we should be able to get a good guard in the second and someone like Roger Rosengarten in the 3rd.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I just read the new mock draft at the top of the page. In a draft loaded with O line talent and the Niners needing an upgrade, he has them taking one guard in the 2nd round and a tackle later on. That's it. He has them taking Koll aid McKinstry in the first. On paper this would be a terrible draft for the Niners.

I have zero problem with the players taken. Walking out of the draft with Haynes and Jones would be outstanding, I just don't believe that they'll be there at those spots.

I thought the draft was excellent on paper
I agree that the Niners can use a good CB. My problem is more with only taking 2 O linemen in the draft. They need interiorD line help as well.

The 49ers are putting their hopes on Purdy for the next few years. They need to make sure he's well protected. He's not huge and he's not going to be able to escape the pressure. Trent Williams may only have another year or two. They need to strengthen the interior O line as well as tackle. A right tackle that may be able to move to the left side would be great. This is a good O line year. That's not always the case. If they were really solid in the O line I wouldn't mind a CB in the first but CBs don't win many games. Even the best can only cover one guy at a time
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I don't know about 31 but trading back a bit and taking someone like Beebe, Haynes or Mahogany wouldn't be that crazy. Beebe likely goes within the first five or six picks of the 2nd round and I'm guessing Haynes won't be far behind.

Im a big fan of Haynes I won't hate a trade down if it made sense. I wouldn't hate moving up to get him in the second as well.

the closer we get to the draft, the more it seems drafting OL in the first is gonna be a reach.

Not unless we trade up for OT, yeah I agree I would rather trade down a little and get the best OG or trade up from our 3rd to get an OT. I'm also on Haynes and Beebe train and they're both on my top 10 favorites in this class. Both are just nasty, naturally strong and bulldozers in the running game. I'm ok with Mahogany too. For me, I would rather get one of these 2 in mid 2nd than Barton in the 1st. Yup, don't reach for an OT at 31.
Rankings on online databases are meaningless. Every year players go way earlier and way later than databases built with limited information imply. Beebe is OG #1 in this draft, he's not making it to Pick 60.

The key thing is getting a starting quality player with their first draft pick, whether that's at 31 or even if you trade back a few spots. If they think Beebe is the type to be a ten year starter at guard with Pro Bowl upside, I have no issue with it. They've been applying band-aids to the interior OL since 2017 and it has bitten them in the ass twice now in the SB.

So I'm fine if they go guard or just about any other position besides K, P, LS, QB and RB as long as they believe that player can be an immediate contributor as a rookie.

It's not meaningless. It's data. Every yr guys who we all thought would go higher go lower all the same.

Meanwhile you rank him So Beebe is OG#1 according to who? Acting like 60th overall is some horrible ranking is silly. Like i said move up in the second to get him if they think he's worth it. Also I don't even think he's entirely a scheme fit for us.

A plethora of things happened that led to both losses outside of IOL play. Let's keep s**t real.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 24, 2024 at 11:52 AM ]
I just read the new mock draft at the top of the page. In a draft loaded with O line talent and the Niners needing an upgrade, he has them taking one guard in the 2nd round and a tackle later on. That's it. He has them taking Koll aid McKinstry in the first. On paper this would be a terrible draft for the Niners.

I have zero problem with the players taken. Walking out of the draft with Haynes and Jones would be outstanding, I just don't believe that they'll be there at those spots.

You're okay with McKinstry at #1? He would be okay but certainly not my first choice. One guard and one tackle in a draft loaded with O line talent is a gamble. I would prefer 3 or 4 O lineman. That gives them a better chance of finding a good one that works in their system.

I actually love that mock. Kool-aid is BPA at 31 for a position that is very impactful & always needed.

Haynes is a stud and can play RG day one and slide into center (or take over center).

Colton is not good, but he wasn't f**king terrible either. I'd go Rosengarten or Fisher over Jones at OT. We'd probably have to move up or switch Baker and the OTs (I really like Baker though) for that to happen.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 24, 2024 at 12:14 PM ]
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Not unless we trade up for OT, yeah I agree I would rather trade down a little and get the best OG or trade up from our 3rd to get an OT. I'm also on Haynes and Beebe train and they're both on my top 10 favorites in this class. Both are just nasty, naturally strong and bulldozers in the running game. I'm ok with Mahogany too. For me, I would rather get one of these 2 in mid 2nd than Barton in the 1st. Yup, don't reach for an OT at 31.

right.

For me just grab the best player at 31. Doesn't have to be a lineman. I just don't want to draft a OT to convert them inside. Draft an OT to play OT. After the 1st if you want to project guys to different positions, I can live with that.

I'd rather not use a 1st on a guard, especially in this draft
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
He will talk about the guys he like from this draft in a year after he cherry picks who did well.

Pretty much. Then have the audacity to talk about others being wrong all the time.

I'd rather do my homework, have my takes to discuss, & not get everything right….then pretend I know anything about OL, using Brandon Thorn as my only resource and diminish anything outside of my thought process on what matters.

Or you can just man up and admit you were dead wrong for YEARS as the 7 year-leader of the 5 member "good enough" crew. It clearly wasn't. Nor is your devaluation of the G position. Any 49er fan would know that CLEARLY by now. But not you. You know better.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Or you can just man up and admit you were dead wrong for YEARS as the 7 year-leader of the 5 member "good enough" crew.

For clarity,...you didn't start with this "good enough" theme until after we wont he NFCCG this year.

Then you sold the hell out of it day after day so you could be "happy" they were good enough or be "right all along" for 2 weeks,..although 2 "Tier 2 OLs", 1 with a HOF QB, somehow made it to the big show?

Say what you wish,...but let's keep the score accurate.
[ Edited by random49er on Mar 24, 2024 at 12:30 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
He will talk about the guys he like from this draft in a year after he cherry picks who did well.

Pretty much. Then have the audacity to talk about others being wrong all the time.

I'd rather do my homework, have my takes to discuss, & not get everything right….then pretend I know anything about OL, using Brandon Thorn as my only resource and diminish anything outside of my thought process on what matters.

Or you can just man up and admit you were dead wrong for YEARS as the 7 year-leader of the 5 member "good enough" crew. It clearly wasn't. Nor is your devaluation of the G position. Any 49er fan would know that CLEARLY by now. But not you. You know better.

I actually love that mock. Kool-aid is BPA at 31 for a position that is very impactful & always needed.

Haynes is a stud and can play RG day one and slide into center (or take over center).

Colton is not good, but he wasn't f**king terrible either. I'd go Rosengarten or Fisher over Jones at OT. We'd probably have to move up or switch Baker and the OTs (I really like Baker though) for that to happen.

Not a bad mock. An OT that caught my attention is Kiran Amegadjie from Yale so you know he smart. You know Kyle don't want no "rookie" mistakes like Burford did with Chris Jones.
Someone needs to go back to this terrific annual thread and map out where all our favorites OL went too the most: Green Bay, Detroit, Ravens, KC, Rams, Eagles, Cowboys, etc?

It would be an interesting case study.
right.

For me just grab the best player at 31. Doesn't have to be a lineman. I just don't want to draft a OT to convert them inside. Draft an OT to play OT. After the 1st if you want to project guys to different positions, I can live with that.

I'd rather not use a 1st on a guard, especially in this draft

Transitioning from OT to OG is not as monumental a move as you been trying to portray, literally happens all the time. It isn't some big position change either that requires big changes or anything like that, literally a foot length (width) of a move 😂 A lot of these guys that played OT "projected" to play inside have actually played inside before so it won't be a foreign position that they have "never" played like some of you like to throw around. Maybe I have a different definition of never than you folks
Share 49ersWebzone