There are 241 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by scooterhd:
You guys are funny. Nobody scouts college basketball and thinks this 6'8 guy can't play power forward in the NBA just because he played center in college. You watch the tape and project his size, skills, strengths on your team. What range does he have with his shot? Do we think he can develop a 3? Does he have quick feet and can hedge screens? Will he be able to defend guys that play facing him? Etc, etc.

OL is no different. Zack Martin played LT at Notre Dame because he was the most athletic and best pass blocking player on the team. But he's a little light, little short, too short of arms to be a prototypical tackle in the NFL. You watch the tape. Can this guy play guard? Is he a mauler in the run game? Does he have the foot speed to pull and get to the next level? How does he handle stunts and blitzs? Turns out most people had a first round grade on him as a guard. Cowboys take him and only play him at guard and he will be a HOFer. Similar story to Barton here in terms of projecting a tackle to be the best IOL, but we'll see if the results are anywhere near as good.

How's our current conversion from OT to OG going? Burford should have stayed at OT.

Barton is NOT Zack Martin lol. I'm also not saying he won't be good there. I'm saying the value of doing that is poor in the 1st rd (if it's just for OG) Especially when you can draft a guy who's already a good guard later…or convert a OT to OG later with less risk.

ya'll acting like there won't be any good players at other more impactful positions at 31, so we gotta transition a OT to OG to fill a need
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 25, 2024 at 6:58 AM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
I agree with you initial statement. I don't want a T in the 1st unless it's Latham or Mims. You can get similar prospects in rounds 2 or 3. I personally would go Rosengarten in the 2nd over an OT not mentioned above in the 1st.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem per se. I'm just saying if you want a Guard then draft a Guard. Most of the T to G transitions are mid round guys or because they couldn't hack it at T.

If there was only a handful of OL to choose because it was a weak class I again would understand. That's not the case in this particular draft

Yeah I don't understand why it has to be OL or bust in the 1st. It's gotten to the point where we looking at converting OTs to OGs because we want to fill the position vs grabbing a more impactful position that will fill a need all the same. I don't hate someone like Barton and I would love if JPJ dropped all the same. They at the very least can play center, which is valuable in this scheme.

I love the depth in this draft at OL. I'm with you I like Rosengarten or Blake Fisher a round or two later vs reaching.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Some of the very best guards in football were college tackles. Zack Martin was a left tackle at Notre Dame for four years. Joel Bitonio is another that was a college tackle for his entire time in college. Joe Thuney played most of his college snaps at right tackle. Martin was a 1st round pick, Bitonio was a 2nd round pick.

I almost included a weak draft class from a G perspective. Which is what happened in the 2014 draft with Zack Martin and Bitonio. Only 1 true G was taken in the 1st 78 picks. So the guard prospects didn't match that of the tackle to guard prospects. This year, that isn't the case.

I'm looking at the top 15 overall grades at OG in PFF this past yr and I'm seeing only two former first rd picks there. Linstorm and Tyler Smith who is now going back out to OT in Dallas. Our current starting RG was ranked 5th overall and cost SF a bag of chips.

personally I think our weakest link currently is at center. Brendel is the guy calling protections and overall has been a subpar center all around. Colton shouldn't be a starting RT either. Those two spots are what need upgrading more than anything. Neither guy should be a starting player on a Super Bowl roster.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
The keyword is best "player". So the #6 OT or #5 CB might not be the best player at #31. And I ain't the one making those projections to other positions, the guys that do this stuff for a living are the ones saying it, so go ask them

so go ask them lol? Oh okay…you're missing the point with that comment

I say that because I actually think guys that THEY are "projecting" to go inside like Fautanu and Barton would do fine at OT. In Barton's case, and I've already said this, he damn well might be better inside for the pros, but that also doesn't mean he can't play OT because he freaking did and did it at a high level.
Yeah I don't understand why it has to be OL or bust in the 1st. It's gotten to the point where we looking at converting OTs to OGs because we want to fill the position vs grabbing a more impactful position that will fill a need all the same. I don't hate someone like Barton and I would love if JPJ dropped all the same. They at the very least can play center, which is valuable in this scheme.

I love the depth in this draft at OL. I'm with you I like Rosengarten or Blake Fisher a round or two later vs reaching.

I agree with what you are saying here but that kinda goes against what came out of your own mouth. My whole point in all this is essentially that BPA at our pick might damn well be one of those guys that are "projected" to be better inside and I don't see a problem with that when our RG and C could use an upgrade and are positions of need to me. Could it be filled later? Sure, this draft is staked with OL prospects. Could we use multiple picks on our OL?
The keyword is best "player". So the #6 OT or #5 CB might not be the best player at #31. And I ain't the one making those projections to other positions, the guys that do this stuff for a living are the ones saying it, so go ask them

so go ask them lol? Oh okay…you're missing the point with that comment

I say that because I actually think guys that THEY are "projecting" to go inside like Fautanu and Barton would do fine at OT. In Barton's case, and I've already said this, he damn well might be better inside for the pros, but that also doesn't mean he can't play OT because he freaking did and did it at a high level.

I admit I didn't watch the O linemen much in college games this past season. I just read the same projections that the rest of you do. I wonder how many of these projections are a good fit for Kyle's system that requires the O line to block differently than most guys are used to. That's where the individual workouts are important.
I'm saying don't draft a prospect who's played OT in college and the reason he's looked at as a 1st rd pick is because of his film playing OT…THEN converting him to a OG for the f**k of it.

Who's the true OG in this draft that's suppose to go on the 1st?? I don't see any. I see a bunch of conversation OTs who are being PROJECTED to be only OGs at the next level.

No I don't think drafting a OG in the first is worth the value…because it's f**king not. Especially in this draft. I mean should we take a kicker in the 1st if he's BPA? There should be a little nuance when talking about BPA.

lol you reaching with that one. I'll just clear the air for you moving forward, in no world FOR ME would a f**kin kicker EVER be worth a first round pick. I'm one of the guys that was pissed at the Moody pick and would never even use a 3rd round pick at that position.

Were you against drafting Quentin Nelson with our first round pick in that draft?
lol you reaching with that one. I'll just clear the air for you moving forward, in no world FOR ME would a f**kin kicker EVER be worth a first round pick. I'm one of the guys that was pissed at the Moody pick and would never even use a 3rd round pick at that position.

Were you against drafting Quentin Nelson with our first round pick in that draft?

In no world should you draft a OG top 10 imo. Same for RB….cool he's great and now they're paying a OG $80M+ and their team is how much better because of him? It's a dumb investment overall given how unimportant the guard position is in the grand scheme of building a roster.

The league is littered was good guards that weren't taken in rd 1.

Of course I know no one would take a kicker. My point remains the same. There's positional value… and guard, regardless of what NC cries about is low on the totem pole of building a roster. It's the truth of it. I'm not saying don't upgrade or don't draft any ever, just understand the economics of all of it. Especially in this draft.

if there's a CB there worth taking in the 1st, get him. If there's a OT/WR/DL/C get them. They're more valuable and harder to find hits on later in the draft vs a guard. Drafting someone like Morgan with the sole intention to play him at OG is gross. At least with Barton there's an idea that he can play center. He at least showed that at the Senior Bowl.
I agree with what you are saying here but that kinda goes against what came out of your own mouth. My whole point in all this is essentially that BPA at our pick might damn well be one of those guys that are "projected" to be better inside and I don't see a problem with that when our RG and C could use an upgrade and are positions of need to me. Could it be filled later? Sure, this draft is staked with OL prospects. Could we use multiple picks on our OL?

Does this make you feel better…"BPA of positional value in the first rd"

Does this make you feel better…"BPA of positional value in the first rd"

That makes you feel better because you clearly don't value Guards in the first round. BPA is BPA to me and if that's a guard who is clearly the best player with All Pros and Pro Bowls in his future, so be it. I'd take that all day over the Mike McGlinchey average to below average starter positional value picks.

That makes you feel better because you clearly don't value Guards in the first round. BPA is BPA to me and if that's a guard who is clearly the best player with All Pros and Pro Bowls in his future, so be it. I'd take that all day over the Mike McGlinchey average to below average starter positional value picks.

you're trying to use my words against me…so I changed them to fit what I'm trying to say. BPA of positional value.

If BPA is BPA then you should have no problem drafting a kicker in the 1st if that's the best player. You shouldn't have been upset taking Mooney in the 3rd. It's not different at all.

McGlinchey is sitting pretty with his $85M contract regardless of how you feel about him. The fact that even he's making that amount of cash, shows you how much more valuable that position is overall.

like I said the league is made up of a ton of good OGs that weren't first rd picks. Only 2 of the top 15 OGs in the league (per PFF) were drafted in the 1st.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 25, 2024 at 12:33 PM ]
you're trying to use my words against me…so I changed them to fit what I'm trying to say. BPA of positional value.

If BPA is BPA then you should have no problem drafting a kicker in the 1st if that's the best player. You shouldn't have been upset taking Mooney in the 3rd. It's not different at all.

McGlinchey is sitting pretty with his $85M contract regardless of how you feel about him. The fact that even he's making that amount of cash, shows you how much more valuable that position is overall.

like I said the league is made up of a ton of good OGs that weren't first rd picks. Only 2 of the top 15 OGs in the league (per PFF) were drafted in the 1st.

You forgot to mention one of those top 15 is already on our roster
Personally, I'm fine with drafting an interior OLineman if you think he's an all-pro caliber player from the second he hits the field and a top 6-8 player at his position during his rookie contract. If they see that in Barton, so be it. I do not think, however, that Barton has any chance at sticking at tackle. Fautanu I believe a team should and will try at tackle first. I don't think Barton gets that same opportunity, nor do I think he should.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 25, 2024 at 1:03 PM ]
This thread sucks lol. I wish there was a BS filter so it can clean up the bickering ha.
You forgot to mention one of those top 15 is already on our roster

Exactly! As it stands we have to decent to good OGs, I don't either guy being replaced by a rookie this yr. They obviously need to develop some guys and pad themselves with good young talent inside.
Share 49ersWebzone