There are 194 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Would really like this
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/49ers-3-round-2024-mock-draft/ar-BB1kuCvn?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=0c7c46a16c754fd4a1e33ab00e82e4c5&ei=11
I Think that's way to early for Theo Johnson but I like the CB pick.
[ Edited by Oilcan on Mar 25, 2024 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Would really like this
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/49ers-3-round-2024-mock-draft/ar-BB1kuCvn?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=0c7c46a16c754fd4a1e33ab00e82e4c5&ei=11

I've seen 3-4, nut who knows. Seems interesting
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
I had responded to a post on Twitter the day of the proday; they were listing the draft eligible prospects that they assumed the 49ers would be there to see and I had said I wouldn't be surprised if they liked Trente Jones.

He's not a well known name, but I think he's a OT to OG conversion that the niners will love, outside of the first round

And there we go. Later day 3 guy they convert with a ton of less risk.
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Would really like this

I've seen 3-4, nut who knows. Seems interesting

Don't like Paul at all. He's too raw for me overall. I haven't watched TEs at all…from what I've read this draft is pretty poor at TE and I would rather go elsewhere that early.

kool-aid at 31 is a good pick.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
It would also be idiotic to reach for the #6 or whatever OT just because we need a tackle when, as you mentioned, with us needing both, the #1 Guard or Center is available. If that guy played OT in college because that's what the team needed him to do, but in the pros he'd be a better guard or center because of length or whatever else they say, I don't see that as a huge problem like you guys are trying to make it out to be. The league agrees, Tackles converts to Guards ALL THE TIME.

There it is. Exactly.

Like already noted, not much difference in this system between T-G's anyhow. Ideally it's not a G at 31. Ideally, it's not a position switch either.

But if a top 2 C-G is available at 31 over the 8th best T, you consider all options here. Including a position switch if that T is special. Just add more talent.

You're going to need all 3 at some point in the draft anyhow.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 26, 2024 at 7:49 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
There it is. Exactly.

Like already noted, not much difference in this system between T-G's anyhow. Ideally it's not a G at 31. Ideally, it's not a position switch either.

But if a top 2 C-G is available at 31 over the 8th best T, you consider all options here. Including a position switch if that T is special. Just add more talent.

You're going to need all 3 at some point in the draft anyhow.

No there is a difference.

Why does it have to be a OL or bust at 31 anyway? If there's a premium position prospect available then go that route. Whether it's DB/DL/WR.

if an OT is special they will play OT not OG. I mean maybe they toss a OT inside to OG knowing that he will be the long-term OT. I just feel if he's good he will beat Colton out regardless

Reaching for a non impact position like OG or if people have a problem drafting the the 6th overall OT in a great OT class (I don't have a problem doing that) then go get a premium position prospect at a different spot that dropped.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 26, 2024 at 8:02 AM ]
Like I have zero issues taking Kinsley Suamataia at 31. He might be OT 6 or 7 but he's still a damn good prospect with massive upside who's young (just turned 21). Might be a little reach but he's still seen as a top 40 guy. Who plays a premium position. Grab a guard later.
I can also get behind Barton knowing hopefully he would be the long-term guy at center. Drafting either him or Morgan with the intention of making them guards only is gross imo.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Like I have zero issues taking Kinsley Suamataia at 31. He might be OT 6 or 7 but he's still a damn good prospect with massive upside who's young (just turned 21). Might be a little reach but he's still seen as a top 40 guy. Who plays a premium position. Grab a guard later.

I can also get behind Barton knowing hopefully he would be the long-term guy at center. Drafting either him or Morgan with the intention of making them guards only is gross imo.

I have the same thinking. If the tackle is there it is the wise move imo. If they are all gone then Barton makes sense if there. If by some miracle Powers Johnson falls id snag him. Otherwise that means the teams before us all went o line heavy and we should have an unexpected quality defender available.

We could take Suamataia and then follow up with Frazier in the second or Bartolini in the 3rd. I see a lot of mocks with Rosengarten there in the 2nd too which is extremely tempting to me given TW status.

So it is plausible we could literally find starting caliber RT, C, and another tackle in the first three picks. Obviously one tackle waits a year or two with spot play. This isnt sexy, but it could lead to rapid oline improvement and longevity.
The kid from BYU looks like a project but one worth trying. At the start of the season I didn't think SF have a shot at him.

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I have the same thinking. If the tackle is there it is the wise move imo. If they are all gone then Barton makes sense if there. If by some miracle Powers Johnson falls id snag him. Otherwise that means the teams before us all went o line heavy and we should have an unexpected quality defender available.

We could take Suamataia and then follow up with Frazier in the second or Bartolini in the 3rd. I see a lot of mocks with Rosengarten there in the 2nd too which is extremely tempting to me given TW status.

So it is plausible we could literally find starting caliber RT, C, and another tackle in the first three picks. Obviously one tackle waits a year or two with spot play. This isnt sexy, but it could lead to rapid oline improvement and longevity.

Originally posted by MinerForty-Niner:
The kid from BYU looks like a project but one worth trying. At the start of the season I didn't think SF have a shot at him.

Dane Brugler who's got a pretty good pulse on the league with the NFL draft has Kingsley Suamataia as his 38th overall prospect. In his latest mock he had him going to the Ravens in a trade down at 33. I honestly don't think it's a reach at all. Hell he might not even make it to us.

Listening to his pod, one guy he said might be a 1st rd pick based off what he's heard and how well he's done throughout the process is DE Marshawn Kneeland. I mean I liked what I saw at the senior bowl, but s**t if he goes in the 1st that pushes another guy down to SF.

I think going OL with their first 3 picks is overkill. They need future starters all over the place, not just at OL.

I think going OL with their first 3 picks is overkill. They need future starters all over the place, not just at OL.

Three O linemen in the draft is fine but not the first 3 picks unless there isn't anyone else they like when those picks come up.
No there is a difference.

Why does it have to be a OL or bust at 31 anyway? If there's a premium position prospect available then go that route. Whether it's DB/DL/WR.

if an OT is special they will play OT not OG. I mean maybe they toss a OT inside to OG knowing that he will be the long-term OT. I just feel if he's good he will beat Colton out regardless

Reaching for a non impact position like OG or if people have a problem drafting the the 6th overall OT in a great OT class (I don't have a problem doing that) then go get a premium position prospect at a different spot that dropped.

Disagree with this. Have you seen some of the contracts being handed out? Guard is a premium position, especially when your QB is undersized. Look at the other top teams around the league and the investments they've made at building up a strong interior OL.

If anything, with the way refs are allowing dominant edge rushers to be held like crazy, tackle might be slightly devalued.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Disagree with this. Have you seen some of the contracts being handed out? Guard is a premium position, especially when your QB is undersized. Look at the other top teams around the league and the investments they've made at building up a strong interior OL.

If anything, with the way refs are allowing dominant edge rushers to be held like crazy, tackle might be slightly devalued.

They're being handed out because they're free agents. If they were so vastly important they won't be leaving their own team. You never see prime OTs leaving for FA. These teams blowing cash on OGs on the open market have to spend their money on something. Especially when it's a s**t FA overall….oh & checkout where the two top OGs paid this offseason were drafted. Guess what not the 1st rd.

I'm looking at the top 15 graded OGs this past season and only two were 1st rd picks.

what top teams? KC? They spent up for a OG and got another one in the 6th rd. Go look at that 2019 OL…I can't even tell you who the last OG was that they invest a 1st for. Who's the last guard the Ravens drafted in the first? We all talk about the eagles and how much they invest on the OL. Who's the last OG they drafted in the first? Lions are regarded as having a "tier 1" OL. Last 1st rd pick they spent at OG…Laken Tomlinson

Who are all these top teams investing a bunch of 1sts at the guard spot?

they still call holding plenties, just apparently not during the Super Bowl.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 26, 2024 at 10:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone