There are 199 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by NCommand:
Right? That's kind of the bigger issue.

1) They don't prioritize the OL even with what the FO considers a FQB,; and
2) When they do, outside of a clear HOF LT, can't identify (talent) or develop them (reach top potential) through the draft

Let's hope that all changes now.

They've prioritized OT and center for the most part. They spent top 50 pick on a LG and traded for a former 1st rd pick.

I expect them to adjust at center/RT long-term and your probably gonna watch Jon be another top 5 OG again, all while your being angry about it because they didn't spend a billion dollars or use a 1st on a OG.

now tell me who they should take and why?
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

didn't look as bad as reports I've heard from, looked pretty damn good to me

I thought he got better as the week went on
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No there is a difference.

Why does it have to be a OL or bust at 31 anyway? If there's a premium position prospect available then go that route. Whether it's DB/DL/WR.

if an OT is special they will play OT not OG. I mean maybe they toss a OT inside to OG knowing that he will be the long-term OT. I just feel if he's good he will beat Colton out regardless

Reaching for a non impact position like OG or if people have a problem drafting the the 6th overall OT in a great OT class (I don't have a problem doing that) then go get a premium position prospect at a different spot that dropped.

Disagree with this. Have you seen some of the contracts being handed out? Guard is a premium position, especially when your QB is undersized. Look at the other top teams around the league and the investments they've made at building up a strong interior OL.

If anything, with the way refs are allowing dominant edge rushers to be held like crazy, tackle might be slightly devalued.

Oh boy. You just triggered my boy. LOL

I don't understand calling a position that plays ALL offensive snaps and is responsible for protecting the franchise QB a non impact position. Since we are throwing "most teams" around, well for most teams, your starting QB gets hurt, seasons over. Don't know how much more a position responsible for protecting him can be impactful? But yet a rotating DT that plays half the snaps is. Great logic. Maybe value is the better choice of words if we still hell bent on what position to select at #31.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I don't understand calling a position that plays ALL offensive snaps and is responsible for protecting the franchise QB a non impact position. Since we are throwing "most teams" around, well for most teams, your starting QB gets hurt, seasons over. Don't know how much more a position responsible for protecting him can be impactful? But yet a rotating DT that plays half the snaps is. Great logic. Maybe value is the better choice of words if we still hell bent on what position to select at #31.

So you could say the same thing with a RB, no? Outside of a center and QB they touch the ball more than ANYONE. Should we be blowing 1sts and constantly paying elite money for one? Why is the rest of the league not doing that? Why are RBs not handsomely paid? Are they not impactful?

Go look at who are the highest paid DTs in football and when they're drafted. Of the top 15 guys the only ones that weren't first rd guys were Javon Hargrave (3rd), Chris Jones (37th pick) and Justin Madubuike (3rd). The rest are 1st rd picks, why? Because it's f**king hard to find great DTs. It costs a premium pick to get one. Same s**t at EDGE and OT.

you can find good OGs all over the draft. Go look at the rankings and who's getting paid and when they're taken.

and yes tell me which team is investing all these 1st rd picks at OG? Not KC, not Philly, not the lions, not Cinci, not Geen Bay, not the Ravens etc etc etc.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 26, 2024 at 12:50 PM ]
That said, we all need to keep it real with ourselves cause we know what's going to happen. We trotting out the same OL this season
TW-Banks-Brendel-JF-Mckivitz
That said, we all need to keep it real with ourselves cause we know what's going to happen. We trotting out the same OL this season

I see us getting an OT in rounds 2 or 3. But there are definitely going to be some hurt feelings on those wanting or expecting 3 premium OL guys. That's not going to happen.
Originally posted by krizay:

I see us getting an OT in rounds 2 or 3. But there are definitely going to be some hurt feelings on those wanting or expecting 3 premium OL guys. That's not going to happen.

Facts. Inevitable facts. Ha
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No there is a difference.

Why does it have to be a OL or bust at 31 anyway? If there's a premium position prospect available then go that route. Whether it's DB/DL/WR.

if an OT is special they will play OT not OG. I mean maybe they toss a OT inside to OG knowing that he will be the long-term OT. I just feel if he's good he will beat Colton out regardless

Reaching for a non impact position like OG or if people have a problem drafting the the 6th overall OT in a great OT class (I don't have a problem doing that) then go get a premium position prospect at a different spot that dropped.

Disagree with this. Have you seen some of the contracts being handed out? Guard is a premium position, especially when your QB is undersized. Look at the other top teams around the league and the investments they've made at building up a strong interior OL.

If anything, with the way refs are allowing dominant edge rushers to be held like crazy, tackle might be slightly devalued.

Oh boy. You just triggered my boy. LOL

Yeah, his model has been an epic fail here.

Let's go a different direction and finally break the 'insanity' definition.

If NY was our GM, I'd certainly trust him more with this classic OL model. No doubt.
Going to Super Bowls, NFCCs and having one of the best records in football for years equals "epic failure" 😂
What's an old OL "model" anyway? Most starting OGs in the league aren't 1st rd picks. Most of the highest paid OGs aren't 1st rd picks. All the teams with good OLs aren't drafting OGs in the first either

So you could say the same thing with a RB, no? Outside of a center and QB they touch the ball more than ANYONE. Should we be blowing 1sts and constantly paying elite money for one? Why is the rest of the league not doing that? Why are RBs not handsomely paid? Are they not impactful?

Go look at who are the highest paid DTs in football and when they're drafted. Of the top 15 guys the only ones that weren't first rd guys were Javon Hargrave (3rd), Chris Jones (37th pick) and Justin Madubuike (3rd). The rest are 1st rd picks, why? Because it's f**king hard to find great DTs. It costs a premium pick to get one. Same s**t at EDGE and OT.

you can find good OGs all over the draft. Go look at the rankings and who's getting paid and when they're taken.

and yes tell me which team is investing all these 1st rd picks at OG? Not KC, not Philly, not the lions, not Cinci, not Geen Bay, not the Ravens etc etc etc.

Glad you brought up RB cause the one on our team was a top 10 pick. The guy that completely changed this team and SOMEONE (cough NY cough) hated the trade and saw no difference between CMC and Jeff Wilson To answer the rest of your comments, we didn't use a first, but we blew a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th to get him. What's that on the draft value chart?

The one on our team is the highest paid. Rest of the league changed their tune, did you not see what happened in FA?

Funny you want to go further about freaking DTs. What happened to us when we prioritized that position in the draft? Blew a top 3 pick on Solomon Thomas and top 15 on Javon Kinlaw, bust and bust. Hard to find so let's continue blowing picks there and putting all resources there instead of just drafting the damn best guy regardless of position.

You can find good PLAYERS all over the draft. Not just OG. Our team is the prime example of it. Warner 3rd, Kittle 5th, Demo 5th, Huff 5th, Greenlaw 5th, DJ Jones 6th, Purdy 7th etc etc

Why does it matter what other teams are doing so much to you? I care about what my team is doing and what my team needs. If a guard in the first makes my team a better team, then why the hell not is all I'm saying. Not drafting a good to great player ranked #1 or #2 just because he's projected to be a guard doesn't make sense to me. We're picking #31, second to last pick, what you like to term basically a 2nd rounder, we aren't in position to get those premium position best players.
I want to apologize to the forum. On the outside looking in, if this was me during the Vernon Davis/Trey Lance drafts. I'm sorry!
I hear you.

So if the 2nd best C or G is there or the 8th best T, do you still go T because you feel he'd still be a big upgrade over McKivitz?

PS: For a team that's clearly lost because of its G-play, as a 49er fan, it's weird you're still calling the G position a "non-impact" position. It literally impacted 2 Superbowl losses. It doesn't get more impactful than that, IMHO.

Now, if THIS regime could ID top G prospects in the 3rd round+, great. But we have zero evidence of that after 7 years.

With all due respect, THIS regime selected a T in the 1st round that many questioned the fit. And appears that many was correct.

THIS regime drafted a guard in the 2nd many guestioned the fit. My opinion many was correct
There are well.

My conclusion is, NO ONE should have faith in this regime selecting OL period if we are judging off of evidence.

Right? That's kind of the bigger issue.

1) They don't prioritize the OL even with what the FO considers a FQB,; and
2) When they do, outside of a clear HOF LT, can't identify (talent) or develop them (reach top potential) through the draft

Let's hope that all changes now.
Mike McGlinchy was drafted high but Colton McKivitz has played reliably better. I think their drafts depends on how they develop their draft boards and this class is IT.
Yeah, his model has been an epic fail here.

Let's go a different direction and finally break the 'insanity' definition.

If NY was our GM, I'd certainly trust him more with this classic OL model. No doubt.

Don't know about epic fail NC, that's a stretch lol
I think NY would've resulted in some better draft picks for sure. As good as we've been there overall, they've had some real head scratchers too. I'd put myself and my draft nerds here in a room and against Lynch and co. all day to see who can produce better drafts
I want to apologize to the forum. On the outside looking in, if this was me during the Vernon Davis/Trey Lance drafts. I'm sorry!

The common denominator here is NY, so let's all blame him for the madness and setting all of us off at different times

Love you NY 😘
Share 49ersWebzone