Javion Cohen, Miami

Day 3 IOL
Layden Robinson G, TAMU
Brandon Coleman G, TCU
Trevor Keegan, G, Michigan
Isaiah Adams, G, Illinois
Tanor Bortolini G/C Wisconsin
Mike Novitsky, C, Kansas

I want no part of Coleman. Dudes tape was awful. I took a look at his senior bowl reps recently and he was just as bad.

I have not scouted Keegan, Tanor, or novitsky yet but the rest totally on board for
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 18, 2024 at 2:08 PM ]

Late round pick flexible to move all over the OL. let him compete for RG
Originally posted by krizay:
1st round OT

Amarius Mims, Georgia
Jordan Morga, Arizona
Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

2nd round OT
Patrick Paul, Hou
Kiran Amegadjie, Yale

3rd round OT
Roger Rosengarten, Washington

2nd round OG
Christian Haynes, Uconn
Christian Mahogany, BC

3rd round OG
Javion Cohen, Miami

Day 3 IOL
Layden Robinson G, TAMU
Brandon Coleman G, TCU
Trevor Keegan, G, Michigan
Isaiah Adams, G, Illinois
Tanor Bortolini G/C Wisconsin
Mike Novitsky, C, Kansas

I think Morgan has a shot at round 1, but I'd expect round 2. I think Suamataia is pretty firmly out of the first round. I'm expecting/hoping Kiran to be round 3; coming off injury brings its own concerns, and it disallowed him from answering questions about competition level in all-star games. Would not be surprised if Rosengarten is drafted first, tho I like Kiran much more. Paul sucks tho. Should be a 5th round pick.
I remember how PO'd 49er fans were after Trent Baalke's first draft, where he used a first round pick on a tackle, Anthony Davis. He followed that up in the second round in drafting a guard, Mike Iupati. Neither pick was sexy. Fans didn't like it. Yet, Davis and Iupati anchored the right side of that line for YEARS. He also picked Navorro Bowman in that draft. Years later it was revealed that the credit for those picks should have gone to Scott McCloughan, who did all the work before he left under "mysterious circumstances" (BOOZE HOUND).

That 2010 draft was so good, however, it earned Baalke the top job as GM and a fat contract extension from Jed York. I sure wish we had McCloughan's input now because I believe Burford's days a numbered at right guard and the same might be true with McKivitz. Missing a key block in the Super Bowl might have been the final nail in Burford's coffin. I just do not believe the right side of that O-Line played well at all during the course of the season. The only reason why Purdy succeeded with throwing to the right is when he rolled away from pressure, rather than really good, sustained blocking on that right side.

Some coaches and GM's are really good at selecting talent in some areas, and not so good in others. Shanahan has shown that he can pick receivers and pick up RB's in free agency that turn into bonafide stars. But his drafting strategy for picking effective linemen may need work or a little help from an outside and trusted source.
No Graham Barton? Day 1 starter at RG, move to center if we acquire another stud OG?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I remember how PO'd 49er fans were after Trent Baalke's first draft, where he used a first round pick on a tackle, Anthony Davis. He followed that up in the second round in drafting a guard, Mike Iupati. Neither pick was sexy. Fans didn't like it. Yet, Davis and Iupati anchored the right side of that line for YEARS. He also picked Navorro Bowman in that draft. Years later it was revealed that the credit for those picks should have gone to Scott McCloughan, who did all the work before he left under "mysterious circumstances" (BOOZE HOUND).

That 2010 draft was so good, however, it earned Baalke the top job as GM and a fat contract extension from Jed York. I sure wish we had McCloughan's input now because I believe Burford's days a numbered at right guard and the same might be true with McKivitz. Missing a key block in the Super Bowl might have been the final nail in Burford's coffin. I just do not believe the right side of that O-Line played well at all during the course of the season. The only reason why Purdy succeeded with throwing to the right is when he rolled away from pressure, rather than really good, sustained blocking on that right side.

Some coaches and GM's are really good at selecting talent in some areas, and not so good in others. Shanahan has shown that he can pick receivers and pick up RB's in free agency that turn into bonafide stars. But his drafting strategy for picking effective linemen may need work or a little help from an outside and trusted source.

Iupati was also a first round pick too
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I've seen 2 mock drafts and both have anywhere from 10 to 12 tackles being taken in the first round. That can change after the combine but good tackles have been scarce for years in the draft. This is supposed to be one of the best drafts for O linemen in years. There are probably 4 or 5 QBs that will be taken and a couple of WRs. There aren't a lot of premier edge rushers or LBs.

Yeah I've read the same. Did some simulations and looking at early mocks. This draft very much favors our needs. I've seen some where we literally get the ol, dt, lb, and cb in first four picks at great value.

unless someone high on their board falls into their lap they need to focus on o line. I want some serious competition and nastiness going on there this training camp. Looks like this draft has the prospects. Wooo hoooo
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
No Graham Barton? Day 1 starter at RG, move to center if we acquire another stud OG?

He's never played guard. I personally am not a fan of using premium picks on a player in hopes he can play a position I've never seen him play before.

We just got burned with hoping to see what we didn't see or whatever that quote was.
Curious what people's thoughts are on Matt Goncalves, the OT from Pittsburg. He has experience at both tackle spots. He isn't the best athlete, but he is above average. He is very sound technically. He had season ending surgery on his toe last season, so some of the hype around him died down. He is projected to be a mid round pick, somewhere in the R3, R4 range.
Originally posted by YayArea:
Curious what people's thoughts are on Matt Goncalves, the OT from Pittsburg. He has experience at both tackle spots. He isn't the best athlete, but he is above average. He is very sound technically. He had season ending surgery on his toe last season, so some of the hype around him died down. He is projected to be a mid round pick, somewhere in the R3, R4 range.

Sounds kind of like a Baalke pick. Season ending injured player in the 4th round but with previous 1rst round grades. So probably take you guy in the 7th round

I think the value at 31 is the offensive line or cornerback positions. I have a feeling that's how the big board stacks up and they'll going to have to predict if they go OT at 31 what CB is there at 63 or vice versa.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

The GM here has done as well or better by my count.

It is great that those linemen anchored things here for years and all... But they didnt win anything more than the guys we have had here have already won as well. They never got ring here.

So just adding some context (since so many have jumped on the ole reliable OL train post-SB).
Originally posted by miked1978:
I think the value at 31 is the offensive line or cornerback positions. I have a feeling that's how the big board stacks up and they'll going to have to predict if they go OT at 31 what CB is there at 63 or vice versa.

Dont rule out EDGE depending on how Chase Young stuff goes. But I'm with you. I think OT/CB/DE is the most likely route

3rd round value
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

3rd round value

I think he goes higher than 3rd once he kills the combine. OTs are always a premium and every team wants
Share 49ersWebzone