There are 263 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Mike McGlinchy was drafted high but Colton McKivitz has played reliably better. I think their drafts depends on how they develop their draft boards and this class is IT.

Nooooooo waaaaaaaaayyyy ya don't say

Sorry now I'm just being a dick, I'll see myself out
Who's to say that OT8 isn't a better prospect than IOL3?

And why are we blaming the superbowl loss on OG play, vs Chris Jones no less?
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Glad you brought up RB cause the one on our team was a top 10 pick. The guy that completely changed this team and SOMEONE (cough NY cough) hated the trade and saw no difference between CMC and Jeff Wilson To answer the rest of your comments, we didn't use a first, but we blew a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th to get him. What's that on the draft value chart?

The one on our team is the highest paid. Rest of the league changed their tune, did you not see what happened in FA?

Funny you want to go further about freaking DTs. What happened to us when we prioritized that position in the draft? Blew a top 3 pick on Solomon Thomas and top 15 on Javon Kinlaw, bust and bust. Hard to find so let's continue blowing picks there and putting all resources there instead of just drafting the damn best guy regardless of position.

You can find good PLAYERS all over the draft. Not just OG. Our team is the prime example of it. Warner 3rd, Kittle 5th, Demo 5th, Huff 5th, Greenlaw 5th, DJ Jones 6th, Purdy 7th etc etc

Why does it matter what other teams are doing so much to you? I care about what my team is doing and what my team needs. If a guard in the first makes my team a better team, then why the hell not is all I'm saying. Not drafting a good to great player ranked #1 or #2 just because he's projected to be a guard doesn't make sense to me. We're picking #31, second to last pick, what you like to term basically a 2nd rounder, we aren't in position to get those premium position best players.

What about Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette, Josh Jacobs and the massive amounts of RBs drafted in the first that never amounted to s**t for their respective teams? Why is it every single person says don't draft a RB in the first? Why are they paid jacket squat mostly? BECAUSE you can find good RBs later. You can't run them into the ground on their rookie contract and move on to the next one. Don't act like that's not been a talking point across the league.

I know CMC behind this HORRIBLE offensive line has been so bad derp. He really made that Panthers teams elite lol.

I explained what the market is for DTs and who's getting paid. There's nothing to debate there. The money and where they were drafted speak for themselves. You brought up that position not me.

Why are mostly all the "good" OGs NOT drafted in the first rd? Why are the majority of OGs that get paid NOT first rd picks?! You can NOT say that for QB/EDGE/OT. You just can't.

why does EVERY f**king team not draft OG in the first? Outside of S it's probably the least drafted position in the first. Unless you count failed OTs moving inside

If a kicker or RB in the first makes my team better, then you'd better take them, right?

look man if you can't comprehend the economics of trying to hit on premium positions early. That's not my problem. It's what the league does. Nowhere am I saying don't draft a guard at any point. You don't NEED to waste a pick on one in the first. That's s**t is proven over and over.
Originally posted by krizay:
I want to apologize to the forum. On the outside looking in, if this was me during the Vernon Davis/Trey Lance drafts. I'm sorry!

Look dude I would love to just talk about prospects…but you got NC coming in here blathering on about OG failure/Thorn tiers and proving nothing of substance on what the actual thread is about.
The common denominator here is NY, so let's all blame him for the madness and setting all of us off at different times

Love you NY 😘

No the common denominator is NC who's offered nothing in regards to OL prospects and has turned this into a OG cry fest like he did with the OL thread.

I've been talking about OL projects in here for over a month until he came in here with his nonsense
Originally posted by NYniner85:
They're being handed out because they're free agents. If they were so vastly important they won't be leaving their own team. You never see prime OTs leaving for FA. These teams blowing cash on OGs on the open market have to spend their money on something. Especially when it's a s**t FA overall….oh & checkout where the two top OGs paid this offseason were drafted. Guess what not the 1st rd.

I'm looking at the top 15 graded OGs this past season and only two were 1st rd picks.

what top teams? KC? They spent up for a OG and got another one in the 6th rd. Go look at that 2019 OL…I can't even tell you who the last OG was that they invest a 1st for. Who's the last guard the Ravens drafted in the first? We all talk about the eagles and how much they invest on the OL. Who's the last OG they drafted in the first? Lions are regarded as having a "tier 1" OL. Last 1st rd pick they spent at OG…Laken Tomlinson

Who are all these top teams investing a bunch of 1sts at the guard spot?

they still call holding plenties, just apparently not during the Super Bowl.

Most of the top guards in the league are still with the teams that drafted them and are all earning big money. This isn't 20 years ago where guard was largely an afterthought for the most part. Interior DL's nowadays are stronger, quicker and overall faster, to beat the teams that the 49ers are going to have to beat to win a SB, they need to catch up in regards to their interior OL talent and performance.

Two SB's in a row Chris Jones has torn the 49ers OL a new a*****e and you can say "well yeah, he's Chris Jones" but at some point you're going to have to develop the ability to more consistently block guys like that when it matters most rather than just hoping and praying that he has an off day.

Guess what not the 1st rd.

You get the talent where you can get it and the top guard prospects in most draft classes are usually gone by the mid 2nd round. I really don't care if they trade down a few times and add another 3rd or 4th round pick to improve the value since they have a lot of holes to address but its something that absolutely needs to be addressed. Same thing goes for center and the 49ers top competitors all have a very good to elite player at one of those positions while the 49ers have been signing random castaways, scrubs and relying on late round picks to try and fill that role and its usually been the thing that bites them in the ass along with CB.

If Shanahan thinks that Purdy is indeed a legitimate franchise QB and a guy that they'll happily pay $50 mil to per year, its time to get serious about the interior OL and that means guys that are just okay or "just good enough" are no longer good enough. They need quality and I don't care where they get it but they need to start pursuing some of these top guard and center prospects rather than continually messing around with the Moores, Burfords and random street free agents out there.

I don't think they need to use every pick on OL, they have a lot of needs but at minimum they should walk away from the draft with a starting caliber player at tackle, guard or center and I don't care where they acquire them. Then they should have one more solid prospect that can hopefully be developed into an eventual starter at tackle, guard or center. Overall the emphasis on the OL needs to increase, its been a blindspot for this regime and its cost them. That has to change.
I want to apologize to the forum. On the outside looking in, if this was me during the Vernon Davis/Trey Lance drafts. I'm sorry!

The common denominator here is NY, so let's all blame him for the madness and setting all of us off at different times

Love you NY 😘

LOL. Imagine being upset for taking a top G at 31 after Mike Person and Spencer Burford.

Not that worth getting upset over and minimizing the value of the position in 2024.

Will it happen? Probably not. Should it be considered? Hell yeah.

It's not our fault NY is 86 years old.

Look dude I would love to just talk about prospects…but you got NC coming in here blathering on about OG failure/Thorn tiers and proving nothing of substance on what the actual thread is about.

But that's my thing. No one is ever going to change the others opinion on their philosophy as it relates to roster construction.

As I'm reading I see where it becomes personal which is what allows the wheels to come off the track.

I'm hoping moving forward I personally can prevent myself from allowing this stuff get personal and acknowledge differences in philosophies and keep it moving. Again, I'm talking about myself here and no one else
So you could say the same thing with a RB, no? Outside of a center and QB they touch the ball more than ANYONE. Should we be blowing 1sts and constantly paying elite money for one? Why is the rest of the league not doing that? Why are RBs not handsomely paid? Are they not impactful?

Go look at who are the highest paid DTs in football and when they're drafted. Of the top 15 guys the only ones that weren't first rd guys were Javon Hargrave (3rd), Chris Jones (37th pick) and Justin Madubuike (3rd). The rest are 1st rd picks, why? Because it's f**king hard to find great DTs. It costs a premium pick to get one. Same s**t at EDGE and OT.

you can find good OGs all over the draft. Go look at the rankings and who's getting paid and when they're taken.

and yes tell me which team is investing all these 1st rd picks at OG? Not KC, not Philly, not the lions, not Cinci, not Geen Bay, not the Ravens etc etc etc.

Not sure why the discussion is limited to OG. Maybe I missed something. In the case of Barton, he could be placed at OG or C. And many of the teams you listed have invested first or second round picks on IOL.

KC - Creed Humphrey 2nd round pick
Philly - Dickerson pick 37. Jurgens also a 2nd round pick. With Kelce retiring I bet you see another early IOL pick.
Lions - Ragnow pick 20.
Green Bay - Elgton Jenkins pick 44
Ravens - Linderbaum pick 25.
Cinci - Has not invested in an IOL in a while. But Tyler Price was C taken in the first round in 2018. And a guy connecting several of these teams is Kevin Zeitler. Taken in the first by the Bengals, later made a pro bowl with the Ravens, Lions just picked him as well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Most of the top guards in the league are still with the teams that drafted them and are all earning big money. This isn't 20 years ago where guard was largely an afterthought for the most part. Interior DL's nowadays are stronger, quicker and overall faster, to beat the teams that the 49ers are going to have to beat to win a SB, they need to catch up in regards to their interior OL talent and performance.

Two SB's in a row Chris Jones has torn the 49ers OL a new a*****e and you can say "well yeah, he's Chris Jones" but at some point you're going to have to develop the ability to more consistently block guys like that when it matters most rather than just hoping and praying that he has an off day.

Guess what not the 1st rd.

You get the talent where you can get it and the top guard prospects in most draft classes are usually gone by the mid 2nd round. I really don't care if they trade down a few times and add another 3rd or 4th round pick to improve the value since they have a lot of holes to address but its something that absolutely needs to be addressed. Same thing goes for center and the 49ers top competitors all have a very good to elite player at one of those positions while the 49ers have been signing random castaways, scrubs and relying on late round picks to try and fill that role and its usually been the thing that bites them in the ass along with CB.

If Shanahan thinks that Purdy is indeed a legitimate franchise QB and a guy that they'll happily pay $50 mil to per year, its time to get serious about the interior OL and that means guys that are just okay or "just good enough" are no longer good enough. They need quality and I don't care where they get it but they need to start pursuing some of these top guard and center prospects rather than continually messing around with the Moores, Burfords and random street free agents out there.

I don't think they need to use every pick on OL, they have a lot of needs but at minimum they should walk away from the draft with a starting caliber player at tackle, guard or center and I don't care where they acquire them. Then they should have one more solid prospect that can hopefully be developed into an eventual starter at tackle, guard or center. Overall the emphasis on the OL needs to increase, its been a blindspot for this regime and its cost them. That has to change.

Most of the high end paid guards are not actually with their original teams. That's factually not true.

what's different then 20 years ago? Guards overall are NOT getting taken in the first. You said all these teams are investing there…who? Who's using 1st rd picks to get their guards? I brought up multiple successful teams that have what we would call good OLs. Look at where they drafted their guards.

Looks who's getting paid overall and where they were taken.

im not saying don't upgrade OG or don't invest any picks. Im saying you do NOT need to use a 1st rd pick there. You just don't.

Originally posted by scooterhd:
Not sure why the discussion is limited to OG. Maybe I missed something. In the case of Barton, he could be placed at OG or C. And many of the teams you listed have invested first or second round picks on IOL.

Philly - Dickerson pick 37. Jurgens also a 2nd round pick. With Kelce retiring I bet you see another early IOL pick.
Lions - Ragnow pick 20.
Cinci - Has not invested in an IOL in a while. But Tyler Price was C taken in the first round in 2018. And a guy connecting several of these teams is Kevin Zeitler. Taken in the first by the Bengals, later made a pro bowl with the Ravens, Lions just picked him as well.

Because I value center MUCH more. I never said don't draft a OG in the second or 3rd. I said use your 1st for a premium position prospect.

Yeah Zeitler whom we all call a good guard (one pro-bowl) is on what his 5th team? How many top end OTs or EDGE rusher do that? Not many ever. Teams can recover moving off a guard.
If they draft Barton with the intention to play him at centers. I'm all for it. If they draft Morgan with the intention to play him purely at guard. I hate it in the 1st.
Originally posted by scooterhd:

Lions - Ragnow pick 20.

Because I value center MUCH more. I never said don't draft a OG in the second or 3rd. I said use your 1st for a premium position prospect.

Yeah Zeitler whom we all call a good guard (one pro-bowl) is on what his 5th team? How many top end OTs or EDGE rusher do that? Not many ever. Teams can recover moving off a guard.

31st IS basically a 2nd rounder, with the rights for a 5th year option. We're not talking a top 15 pick here. Prime spot for a small trade back as well.
Most of the high end paid guards are not actually with their original teams. That's factually not true.

Of the highest paid guards in football:

Quinton Nelson-drafted by Colts, still with the Colts

Landon Dickerson, drafted by the Eagles, still with the Eagles.

Chris Lindstrom-drafted by the Falcons, still with the Falcons

Joe Thuney, drafted by the Patriots, plays for the Chiefs

Elgton Jenkins-drafted by the Packers, still with the Packers

Joel Bitonio-drafted by the Browns, still with the Browns

Zack Martin, drafted by the Cowboys, still with the Cowboys

Robert Hunt-drafted by the Dolphins, plays for the Panthers

Kevin Dotson-drafted by the Steelers, plays for the Rams

Looks who's getting paid overall and where they were taken.

Quinton Nelson-Early 1st
Landon Dickerson-Early 2nd round
Elgton Jenkins-Mid 2nd round
Zack Martin-Mid 1st round
Joel Bitonio-Early 2nd round
Christ Lindstrom-Late 1st round
Joe Thuney-Early 3rd round
Robert Hunt-Mid 2nd round
Kevin Dotson-Mid 4th round

im not saying don't upgrade OG or don't invest any picks. Im saying you do NOT need to use a 1st rd pick there. You just don't.

You don't need to use a 1st but generally speaking if you're waiting until the late 2nd round to get one then you are missing the boat pretty much. Which is why I'm perfectly fine with a guard or center at 31 if its BPA or trading down and taking a guard or center if they are BPA. I'm tired of all the excuses and seeing this OL have major letdowns when they need to step up the most.

If I trusted this team and their scouting department to find high quality OLs late in the draft, I'd say have at it, pick three or four late and hope something shakes out but so far they haven't produced anything of value despite several opportunities to do so. Which is why I'm hoping they pursue the cream of the crop and the best possible prospects, not the leftovers after all the other teams have ratf**ked the selection.
Can someone please define this hypothetical guard that we would be taking at 31? Is this just a T-Rex Morgan conversation?
Share 49ersWebzone