There are 260 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Most of the high end paid guards are not actually with their original teams. That's factually not true.

Of the highest paid guards in football:

Quinton Nelson-drafted by Colts, still with the Colts

Landon Dickerson, drafted by the Eagles, still with the Eagles.

Chris Lindstrom-drafted by the Falcons, still with the Falcons

Joe Thuney, drafted by the Patriots, plays for the Chiefs

Elgton Jenkins-drafted by the Packers, still with the Packers

Joel Bitonio-drafted by the Browns, still with the Browns

Zack Martin, drafted by the Cowboys, still with the Cowboys

Robert Hunt-drafted by the Dolphins, plays for the Panthers

Kevin Dotson-drafted by the Steelers, plays for the Rams

Looks who's getting paid overall and where they were taken.

Quinton Nelson-Early 1st
Landon Dickerson-Early 2nd round
Elgton Jenkins-Mid 2nd round
Zack Martin-Mid 1st round
Joel Bitonio-Early 2nd round
Christ Lindstrom-Late 1st round
Joe Thuney-Early 3rd round
Robert Hunt-Mid 2nd round
Kevin Dotson-Mid 4th round

im not saying don't upgrade OG or don't invest any picks. Im saying you do NOT need to use a 1st rd pick there. You just don't.

You don't need to use a 1st but generally speaking if you're waiting until the late 2nd round to get one then you are missing the boat pretty much. Which is why I'm perfectly fine with a guard or center at 31 if its BPA or trading down and taking a guard or center if they are BPA. I'm tired of all the excuses and seeing this OL have major letdowns when they need to step up the most.

If I trusted this team and their scouting department to find high quality OLs late in the draft, I'd say have at it, pick three or four late and hope something shakes out but so far they haven't produced anything of value despite several opportunities to do so. Which is why I'm hoping they pursue the cream of the crop and the best possible prospects, not the leftovers after all the other teams have ratf**ked the selection.

And again most are NOT 1st rd picks. Which is my whole damn point.

why is anyone missing the boat when most of these successful guards are not taken in the 1st.

Jonah Jackson not on the same team he was drafted. Ben powers not on the same team that drafted him. Runyan not on the same team. Damien Lewis, Isaac Seumalo, Shaquille Mason, Brandon Scherff, Alex Cappa, Graham Glasgow, Wyatt Teller Etc etc. once again none were 1st rd picks.
And again most are NOT 1st rd picks. Which is my whole damn point.

why is anyone missing the boat when most of these successful guards are not taken in the 1st.

Whats the difference between Pick 31 and a guy taken just a handful of picks later? I'd be on board 100% if the 49ers were picking 15th or something or they had a reasonable way of moving up that far without blowing up a whole draft.

Do you really think there's that much of a difference between 31 and say 36? If you're passing on guard in the 1st thats fine but don't pretend like you'll be in the running for any of the top guard prospects a whole round later, that's not happening.

Jonah Jackson not on the same team he was drafted. Ben powers not on the same team that drafted him. Runyan not on the same team. Damien Lewis, Isaac Seumalo, Shaquille Mason, Brandon Scherff, Alex Cappa, Graham Glasgow, Wyatt Teller Etc etc. once again none were 1st rd picks.

And yeah that still doesn't change my point that the absolute highest paid guards in football are mostly guys still playing for their original teams. The Rams didn't draft either Jackson or Dotson but have no problem paying them a crapton of money which says a lot.
I'd be down for Haynes, beebe, or Mahogany on day 2 of the draft.

Use that 1st for a premium position or try and move down. Moving on
Whats the difference between Pick 31 and a guy taken just a handful of picks later? I'd be on board 100% if the 49ers were picking 15th or something or they had a reasonable way of moving up that far without blowing up a whole draft.

Do you really think there's that much of a difference between 31 and say 36? If you're passing on guard in the 1st thats fine but don't pretend like you'll be in the running for any of the top guard prospects a whole round later, that's not happening.

And yeah that still doesn't change my point that the absolute highest paid guards in football are mostly guys still playing for their original teams. The Rams didn't draft either Jackson or Dotson but have no problem paying them a crapton of money which says a lot.

Teams that are drafting at 36 have already used a high end 1st on another player, more than likely one at a premium position.

Jackson is the second highest paid LG (APY) according to OTC. 3 of the top 5 highest paid RGs (APY) are not playing on the team that drafted them according to OTC.

The Rams have money to burn after taking off the past couple years. There was diddly squat for FAs this year and that's were the money went. There's a reason why there's always guards available in FA. Teams can find another one. Same can't be said for positions like OT/EDGE.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 26, 2024 at 5:04 PM ]

Teams that are drafting at 36 have already used a high end 1st on another player, more than likely one at a premium position.

Jackson is the second highest paid LG (APY) according to OTC. 3 of the top 5 highest paid RGs (APY) are not playing on the team that drafted them according to OTC.

The Rams have money to burn after taking off the past couple years. There was diddly squat for FAs this year and that's were the money went. There's a reason why there's always guards available in FA. Teams can find another one. Same can't be said for positions like EDGE.

Huh? Every damn year we bring in former top pick ER's and DT's. And then do it again annually. It's hard to find a single DL who still plays for the same team. DL get passed around like the red light district.

GM's have prioritized these premium positions so much, the entire market is oversaturated with them.

Do you even follow the 49ers?
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 26, 2024 at 5:21 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Huh? Every damn year we bring in former top pick ER's and DT's. And then do it again annually. It's hard to find a single DL who still plays for the same team. DL get passed around like the red light district.

GM's have prioritized these premium positions so much, the entire market is oversaturated with them.

Do you even follow the 49ers?

Go look at the top 15 paid DTs and when they're drafted. Only 3 weren't first rd picks. Guards are the exact opposite of that.

Again you missed the whole concept of this debate. Top paid guards overall are NOT 1st rd picks, a f**k ton of them not even on their original team. The exact opposite at DT/EDGE/OT.

next you're gonna tell me RBs are premium players and should be drafted in the 1st.

Again for the 10th time tell me who you want SF to draft and why at OL?
NC instead of spamming up the OL prospect thread with stuff that doesn't belong in here. Let's discuss the actual prospects?
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

didn't look as bad as reports I've heard from, looked pretty damn good to me

I thought he got better as the week went on

Originally posted by scooterhd:
Can someone please define this hypothetical guard that we would be taking at 31? Is this just a T-Rex Morgan conversation?

I got you. At 31, it started with guys that were OTs but "projected" inside like who you mentioned and Graham Barton. Evolved to straight G prospects that some believe would be a waste of a pick at 31 because they are guards. Guys like Cooper Beebe and Christian Hayes. Chances are slim that they make it to our 2nd pick IMO
I'm intrigued by Kingsley

Originally posted by illinois9er:

As am I. I moved him up to my last case scenario option
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by illinois9er:

As am I. I moved him up to my last case scenario option

Wouldn't be mad at picking him at all. Young and full of potential and what he needs cleaned up is teachable. I know some hate him but what do you expect at the end of the first round OTs?
NC instead of spamming up the OL prospect thread with stuff that doesn't belong in here. Let's discuss the actual prospects?

Nobody is spamming. You're simply getting challenged on your views on the value and placement of the G position. Which, as you can imagine, is an odd stance coming from a 49er fan.

And that's fine. It was a quality discussion. You're cemented and closed to the idea. Others are more open to it. Big deal. It'll all probably be moot in the end anyhow.

FWIW, I hope they do get a top T or C with the first pick, circle back and get a top G and they become staples of our OL going forward. We need all three.

Nah, college is your thing. I'm just learning from you guys and look to you all as the true SME's here. Your track record speaks for itself. My focus has always been on team needs esp. those needed to get us over the hump.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2024 at 3:03 AM ]
Go look at the top 15 paid DTs and when they're drafted. Only 3 weren't first rd picks. Guards are the exact opposite of that.

Again you missed the whole concept of this debate. Top paid guards overall are NOT 1st rd picks, a f**k ton of them not even on their original team. The exact opposite at DT/EDGE/OT.

next you're gonna tell me RBs are premium players and should be drafted in the 1st.

Again for the 10th time tell me who you want SF to draft and why at OL?

Which means they were all over drafted and over valued, hence why you can get them so cheap now. Have you seen our DL contracts?

ShanaLynch have been trying to win a Superbowl through the DL since day 1. Our run defense was 26th last year despite a gazillion resources used on it. And it made zero difference all the way through the Superbowl.

GM's follow trends and are always way behind. All you're doing is pointing out league trends. Not actual value.

Andy is over there building a tier 1 interior + adequate T's. C/G's were the first picks of 'this' FA. Don't be surprised if you see more teams follow that trend. It's cheaper too in team building. And like you said, it's easier to get top C/G's later thanks to the ingrained GM trends.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2024 at 3:15 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nobody is spamming. You're simply getting challenged on your views on the value and placement of the G position. Which, as you can imagine, is an odd stance coming from a 49er fan.

And that's fine. It was a quality discussion. You're cemented and closed to the idea. Others are more open to it. Big deal. It'll all probably be moot in the end anyhow.

FWIW, I hope they do get a top T or C with the first pick, circle back and get a top G and they become staples of our OL going forward. We need all three.

Nah, college is your thing. I'm just learning from you guys and look to you all as the true SME's here. Your track record speaks for itself. My focus has always been on team needs esp. those needed to get us over the hump.

Then keep it to the offensive line thread. Don't come in here blasting all that guard above all rhetoric in here. I've given you plenty of examples of why you don't need to spend a 1st on one. I've showed you the rest of the league overall doesn't do it either. It's the same s**t as drafting a RB in the 1st. It's not necessary.

this thread is to discuss prospects
Share 49ersWebzone