There are 280 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I mean you're not going to beat KC by trying to go blow for blow with Mahomes. Beat them how Oakland beat them earlier in the season, run the ball down their throats and play good defense. Keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible and chew up as much clock as you can on every single offensive drive.

I'm intrigued to see how it works because we've never really gotten to watch Harbaugh with a truly elite QB outside of Stanford and Luck. I've never had anything against the Chargers so I'll be happy for him if he has success there.

I mean yah the Chargers can beat them if they get defensive scores like the Raiders did. But Gus Edwards isn't Brandon Jacobs.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Here was my writeup…

Just watching a little of Kingsley. Man there's a lot to work with there. Ideal measureables. Dude is a mauler, especially in the run game. He's got a strong punch. He's athletic and has no problem getting to the second level. Would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Has a solid anchor. He can overset and his footwork can be sloppy. That's something that will need coaching/reps. His feet can get "skinny" he can let guys get into his chest too often and it's seems like stunts/blitzing can be an issue for him right now…I think that's an awareness thing that you can improve with more reps. I believe he's only 21 right now? So he far from a finished product.

Spot on. Love it. See at least this is something NC credits you for and calls you a SME of the draft and leans on you to do all the work on prospects that he'll complain about us not getting after the fact lol

It's a weird thing no doubt. If he trusts my evaluations at all then he should calm down with the we should spend a 1st on a guard stuff…dude doesn't even know who the guards prospects are.
Here was my writeup…

Just watching a little of Kingsley. Man there's a lot to work with there. Ideal measureables. Dude is a mauler, especially in the run game. He's got a strong punch. He's athletic and has no problem getting to the second level. Would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Has a solid anchor. He can overset and his footwork can be sloppy. That's something that will need coaching/reps. His feet can get "skinny" he can let guys get into his chest too often and it's seems like stunts/blitzing can be an issue for him right now…I think that's an awareness thing that you can improve with more reps. I believe he's only 21 right now? So he far from a finished product.

Spot on. Love it. See at least this is something NC credits you for and calls you a SME of the draft and leans on you to do all the work on prospects that he'll complain about us not getting after the fact lol

It's a weird thing no doubt. If he trusts my evaluations at all then he should calm down with the we should spend a 1st on a guard stuff…dude doesn't even know who the guards prospects are.

Your "evaluations" are great. Your "valuation" is a proven fail. Let's break the insanity this year.

PS: Nobody said we SHOULD draft a G at 31.

But if the 2nd best G, 5th best C and 8th best T is there at 31, you better damn well consider the G.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2024 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Can someone please define this hypothetical guard that we would be taking at 31? Is this just a T-Rex Morgan conversation?

Yes.

Regular OL Thread NC vs. OL Draft thread NC....

[ Edited by random49er on Mar 27, 2024 at 6:14 PM ]
The common denominator here is NY, so let's all blame him for the madness and setting all of us off at different times

Love you NY 😘

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I mean you're not going to beat KC by trying to go blow for blow with Mahomes. Beat them how Oakland beat them earlier in the season, run the ball down their throats and play good defense. Keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible and chew up as much clock as you can on every single offensive drive.

I'm intrigued to see how it works because we've never really gotten to watch Harbaugh with a truly elite QB outside of Stanford and Luck. I've never had anything against the Chargers so I'll be happy for him if he has success there.

A couple plays that weren't screw ups in both SB games and we have 7 SB wins. If going "blow for blow" with Mahomes was the plan for either contest then it was clearly a successful one.

Which is wish we'd do away with the hyperbole and the overstatements after-the-fact. We came out in dominant fashion - OL included - in the last contest but CMC uncharacteristically coughed the ball up.

I mean are we gonna mope about things the rest of our lives and not legitimately address what really happened?
[ Edited by random49er on Mar 27, 2024 at 5:58 PM ]
Here was my writeup…

You can't ever be wrong if you wait for the results to happen before you make/switch your argument, right?

Are we even discussing football with the guy? Or is it just some weird fixation on messageboard reputation and control of subjects at this point?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Your "evaluations" are great. Your "valuation" is a proven fail. Let's break the insanity this year.

But if the 2nd best G, 5th best C and 8th best T is there at 31, you better damn well consider the G.

Not if the 2nd best guard is rated in the 60s but the 8th best tackle is in the 30s.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
LMAO. I actually heard indirectly via a pod about his philosophy on the OL and all of his references (fist). Love it. First thing he does is kick the WR's (position value) out the door and retains the DL. He's a big trench guy. No doubt he'll stock up in the draft too. He gets it.

Gets how to lose to inferior teams in the SB because he doesn't value a functioning passing attack.

Yea I'm confused. The NC argument is always how the chiefs beat us in the Superbowl because of their OL (though first it was all about having tier 1 tackles with adequate guards and now it's all about tier 1 guards with adequate tackles). How many superbowls has Jim Harbaugh won?

Huh? Tier 1 OL's are built differently. You think every tier 1 DL is built the same? I noted the Chiefs as an example of doing it against the common T-C-T model. Perhaps you're not comprehending well. Also, the Chiefs didn't have a tier 1 OL. They had a tier 1 interior but overall, were a high tier 2.

As to Harbaugh, he's spot on. The OL is the only unit where every other position is dependent on how they play together. He went on to talk about how the OL works like a fist...5 fingers working together to punch people in the mouth. Love it. He's not wrong.

It sounds like, even after 2 Superbowl losses, there are still fans who aren't getting it.

In 2019, after you blamed the superbowl loss on the OL, the chiefs were THE blue print, with their 2 tackles who had elite seasons and mediocre interior. The niners NEEDED to start taking the OL more serious like the chiefs if they were to ever win a superbowl, never mind that the chiefs had a rag tag group of guys in the superbowl thanks to injuries and that they won the game despite our DL out pressuring and out sacking theirs.

In 2023, after you blamed the superbowl loss on the OL, the chiefs were THE blue print, with their interior OL who had elite seasons and mediocre tackles. The niners NEED to start taking the OL more seriously like the chiefs if they are ever to win a superbowl, never mind that they won the game despite our DL out pressuring and out sacking theirs.

You are so adamant that our superbowl failures are based on not following the chiefs blueprint, when they don't even have one. Absolutely we should be looking to upgrade the OL (just like every other position), but i refuse to blame our losses on the fact that the #1 or #2 interior DL in the NFL and an all time great made great plays, and I refuse to believe that he won't make plays no matter who lines up across from him.

That said, I do think there needs to be a slight philosophical change where this team needs to better prioritize pass blocking. This offense needs high level run blockers, but ultimately, OL are paid to pass protect.
In 2019, after you blamed the superbowl loss on the OL, the chiefs were THE blue print, with their 2 tackles who had elite seasons and mediocre interior. The niners NEEDED to start taking the OL more serious like the chiefs if they were to ever win a superbowl, never mind that the chiefs had a rag tag group of guys in the superbowl thanks to injuries and that they won the game despite our DL out pressuring and out sacking theirs.

In 2023, after you blamed the superbowl loss on the OL, the chiefs were THE blue print, with their interior OL who had elite seasons and mediocre tackles. The niners NEED to start taking the OL more seriously like the chiefs if they are ever to win a superbowl, never mind that they won the game despite our DL out pressuring and out sacking theirs.

You are so adamant that our superbowl failures are based on not following the chiefs blueprint, when they don't even have one. Absolutely we should be looking to upgrade the OL (just like every other position), but i refuse to blame our losses on the fact that the #1 or #2 interior DL in the NFL and an all time great made great plays, and I refuse to believe that he won't make plays no matter who lines up across from him.

That said, I do think there needs to be a slight philosophical change where this team needs to better prioritize pass blocking. This offense needs high level run blockers, but ultimately, OL are paid to pass protect.

The argument changes with the wind.

Here was my writeup…

Agree with this.

Outside of LT, every position can be much improved.

Banks is most likely gone after next year. We can do better than Brendel long term. RT is obviously a need. G/C/T, give me BPA in the first round.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
LMAO. I actually heard indirectly via a pod about his philosophy on the OL and all of his references (fist). Love it. First thing he does is kick the WR's (position value) out the door and retains the DL. He's a big trench guy. No doubt he'll stock up in the draft too. He gets it.

Gets how to lose to inferior teams in the SB because he doesn't value a functioning passing attack.

Yea I'm confused. The NC argument is always how the chiefs beat us in the Superbowl because of their OL (though first it was all about having tier 1 tackles with adequate guards and now it's all about tier 1 guards with adequate tackles). How many superbowls has Jim Harbaugh won?

Huh? Tier 1 OL's are built differently. You think every tier 1 DL is built the same? I noted the Chiefs as an example of doing it against the common T-C-T model. Perhaps you're not comprehending well. Also, the Chiefs didn't have a tier 1 OL. They had a tier 1 interior but overall, were a high tier 2.

As to Harbaugh, he's spot on. The OL is the only unit where every other position is dependent on how they play together. He went on to talk about how the OL works like a fist...5 fingers working together to punch people in the mouth. Love it. He's not wrong.

It sounds like, even after 2 Superbowl losses, there are still fans who aren't getting it.

Wrongo.

2019 Chiefs HAD a tier 1 OL. We had a tier 1 DL. I'd say our DL was > over their OL through 3Q. But like we just saw in 2023, in the 4Q (and O.T.), when it mattered most, their OL produced 1 total pressure and were able to run/pass comfortably (no, PM was NOT scrambling around making backyard plays). On the flip side, our OL s**t the bed in every way possible (penalties, hits, sacks, 50% pressure rate, protection calls, ad libs, etc.).

And no, it wasn't just Chris Jones killing drives and opportunities either. When you're giving up a 50%+ pressure rate in both games IN a quick-pass offense, the entire unit is getting worked.

Like I always said, you can do a lot as a "unit" but eventually, your talent is going to have to stand on its own when it matters. And that's where ours failed, badly x3.

I don't know how much more evidence a fan could get that it wasn't good enough. Honestly, it's embarrassing there is still a very small minority who still can't see the correlation. Had we had even moderate play at a unit that effects everything else, we might have 2 more chips right now with the last one being a Bucs vs.Chiefs-like blowout.

Again, as to the Chiefs OL, they are NOT the gold standard. They were high tier 2 last year. I used them as an example of how one can build an OL differently from the traditional T-C-T combo. Andy built a tier 1 interior + adequate T's and countered with a quick-pass offense (shortest air yards in his career).

But if they add a top T in this draft to their current interior, you can bet your ass they'll end up right back in tier 1 overall. And that's scary for the league.

Let's move this team building discussion to the OL thread. Let's not derail a great thread anymore.

Or just PM me and we can talk.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 28, 2024 at 4:43 AM ]
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Here was my writeup…

Agree with this.

Banks is most likely gone after next year. We can do better than Brendel long term. RT is obviously a need. G/C/T, give me BPA in the first round.

Our timing is excellent. It sounds like this is one of the very best OL classes in years. Time to strike!

NC, you're a consistent echo chamber of nonsense on this topic. You continue to argue with no one. There's not a single poster here that has said don't improve at guard. NOT ONE. Including me.

your first statement contradicts itself. So I'm good at evaluating guards BUT you don't like where they're drafted WTF? I've shown you countless examples of why you do not have to overdraft them in the 1st. I've shown you how the league is collectively made up of mostly guards that are NOT first rd picks. Most of the highly paid ones are not 1st rd picks. These are facts.

Good because we SHOULDN'T use a 1st rd pick on a guard. We shouldn't be taking converted OTs with the idea of playing them only at OG. You do that s**t later in drafts.

Your last statement means nothing to me because you don't even know who the 2nd ranked guard is…I'm talking about who actually played guard in college. Not transitioning a OT inside because they're not talented enough to play outside. That alone tells you the difference in value between OT and OG.

If you want to use that same model, then we should take RB2 over OT7 or OG5, right?! I'm sure you'd be down with that. It's the same s**t. There's premium positions and there's everything else…you want to overpay and over draft at a non-premium position because you're obsessed with guard. I'm telling you that YOU CAN get good talent on day 2/3 all the same. Look at the players in the league AND this draft or don't….and continue to yell at the wall because that's all it is at this point.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Agree with this.

No one is saying don't improve along the OL. Use your resources correctly though. Use premium picks on premium positions.
Share 49ersWebzone