There are 264 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
When you build a house you start with the foundation. The problem with getting a franchise QB first is they get beat up. Many good QBs have had poor careers because they went to a team with poor O lines. The Chargers have one of the best Young QBs but a horrible O line. Herbert is always under pressure.

I agree you don't win with just a good O line but O linemen often have long careers. Build the line and the defense and you are always in the game. A good O line that pass protects can make an average QB look good. A bad O line and even Montana or Brady look average at best.

IMO when building a team you get your QB ASAP and you keep swinging until you get one. If you build a solid foundation but don't have a QB you can find yourself winning 6-9 games a year and picking around the middle of the draft with no hope of getting one unless you mortgage the future and trade and up. .

But at the same time its important not to reach for a QB either.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
There isn't any single way to build a great team. Some like to build around a QB. Some like strong defense first.

Personally I've always liked building a strong D line and O line before spending money on a QB and WRs. I say that because it makes it easier for a young QB if he has good protection and a defense that can keep games close. It's not the only way but it seems to me that teams that can control the line of scrimmage always have a chance. Onthe other hand. teams with great QBs and terrible lines rarely win much.

Teams with Great OLs and little else also rarely win much.

Need to build the best TEAM you can. Different ways to do things. There isn't just one championship formula despite the BS propaganda posted here ad nauseam. Get a Franchise level QB and it gives you the best chance however.

When you build a house you start with the foundation. The problem with getting a franchise QB first is they get beat up. Many good QBs have had poor careers because they went to a team with poor O lines. The Chargers have one of the best Young QBs but a horrible O line. Herbert is always under pressure.

I agree you don't win with just a good O line but O linemen often have long careers. Build the line and the defense and you are always in the game. A good O line that pass protects can make an average QB look good. A bad O line and even Montana or Brady look average at best.

I guess, when you only have the capacity to think in black-white, it pivots to this way of comprehension.

You need both...you obviously get that.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh look, it's the "good enough" teenage club. LOL. It's tough being in that 1% who still are trying to justify the OL you believed was clearly good enough. Again. And again.

I get it. Lots of deep scars and scar tissue.

I guess you wanted to spam your own thread. Classic NY.

Keep telling us about how to win those bridesmaid's trophies! It's clearly working...raising those Championship banners.

Again making up s**t to justify your echo chamber of nonsense. keep arguing with yourself that will surely add value in here
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

NCommand just curious what Olinemen would you grab at 31 and which ones would you pass on?

I was only discussing likely scenarios at 31 for OL.

I don't watch college ball. I'd recommend asking that question of the SME's in here, no matter their personal draft strategy.

I only focus on team needs and FA plans. I used to rely on this thread to supplement those plans at addressing our biggest needs but after 7 years of 0 return from this FO from this thread, I'm passing this year.

If they fix it, they fix it. If they don't, we already know the competitive bridesmaid outcome.

How about you? Do you have some preferences? A specific draft strategy?

OL i would take at 31 if still on board:
Joe Alt (wont be there)
Olumuyiwa Fashanu (wont be there)
Taliese Fuaga (wont be there)
J.C. Latham (wont be there)
Troy Fautanu (wont be there)
Jackson Powers-Johnson (wont be there)
Amarius Mims
Tyler Guyton
Graham Barton
Kingsley Suamataia
Jordan Morgan

Guys i would not take at 31 but would take if we traded down:
Kingsley Suamataia
Christian Haynes
Patrick Paul

Good chance one of the top 11 are there at 31 but there are guys at other positions i would take over some of them.

I guess we know who his draft crush is.

Ha copy and paste failed me!!! I like Kingsley meant to put Zack Frazier as a guy i dont want at 31 but would trade down for.

So you have 3 accounts? LOL
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Oh look, it's the "good enough" teenage club. LOL. It's tough being in that 1% who still are trying to justify the OL you believed was clearly good enough. Again. And again.

Keep telling us about how to win those bridesmaid's trophies! It's clearly working...raising those Championship banners.

Again making up s**t to justify your echo chamber of nonsense. keep arguing with yourself that will surely add value in here

Echo chambers of annual CLEAR facts.

But you keep denying reality.

NY85 >>>>> Brandon Thorn
There isn't any single way to build a great team. Some like to build around a QB. Some like strong defense first.

Personally I've always liked building a strong D line and O line before spending money on a QB and WRs. I say that because it makes it easier for a young QB if he has good protection and a defense that can keep games close. It's not the only way but it seems to me that teams that can control the line of scrimmage always have a chance. Onthe other hand. teams with great QBs and terrible lines rarely win much.

Need to build the best TEAM you can. Different ways to do things. There isn't just one championship formula despite the BS propaganda posted here ad nauseam. Get a Franchise level QB and it gives you the best chance however.

I guess, when you only have the capacity to think in black-white, it pivots to this way of comprehension.

Wow weird way of saying you need a complimentary team to win

Surely wasn't their fault for not investing there. Slater top 13 pick. Zion Johnson top 17 pick at OG. Sent a f**k ton of cash on center with Corey Linsley Pipkins is a starting level RT they spent a 3rd on. The only position they haven't invested a ton on last yr was RG. They have however invested higher end picks getting Forest Lamp (who NC loved lol) and Dan Freeney a couple years back.

again there isn't a single person in here saying you don't need to invest in the OL. Know where the value is and what are premium positions. OT and center >>>>>> OG.

Surely wasn't their fault for not investing there. Slater top 13 pick. Zion Johnson top 17 pick at OG. Sent a f**k ton of cash on center with Corey Linsley Pipkins is a starting level RT they spent a 3rd on. The only position they haven't invested a ton on last yr was RG. They have however invested higher end picks getting Forest Lamp (who NC loved lol) and Dan Freeney a couple years back.

again there isn't a single person in here saying you don't need to invest in the OL. Know where the value is and what are premium positions. OT and center >>>>>> OG.

Look dude my off-season plan for the 49ers is to use their draft picks on all pros at every position they draft. If they do as I suggest and only draft all pros we will profit. But if they draft a player who isn't good that wasn't what I suggested so they need to listen better. Only draft All Pros. Not bums like McGlinchey.

NY85 >>>>> Brandon Thorn

Keep yelling to the sky, I'm sure someone will give a s**t at some point. I've given you actual facts you just ignore them. All you've given me is you POV on something….guess what buddy those aren't facts. Those are opinions.

all you do is copy/paste Thorns work and you don't even pay for the actual context lolz.

also guess what he doesn't have a 1st rd grade on a pure OG in this draft…guess he's stupid too 🫣

High end QB + OL is the best/easiest winning formula in today's game.

But yeah, not the only way. Gotta be strong everywhere or at least not have any glaring weaknesses.

But the Chargers used 2 first round picks and spent big money on a Center. Spent money resigning their own 3rd round pick at RT. They did the NC model to a T and yet it's not working.

Disagree about the QBs. Brock made our O line look better than it is. Despite the lies NC tells himself Pat Mahomes has carried that Chiefs O Line. The most important thing is have the elite QB. O line doesn't have to be elite, it just can't be terrible. It does just need to be "good enough". KC has proven that multiple times now.

The 9ers weak secondary has been a problem in both SB's too. It may not be the foundation but the roof is pretty damn important too and the 9ers have no one but Jayir Brown of any significance signed past 2024. This team cant have tunnel vision like some advocate for.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Mar 28, 2024 at 11:02 AM ]

High end QB OL is the best/easiest winning formula in today's game.

But yeah, not the only way. Gotta be strong everywhere or at least not have any glaring weaknesses.

Getting a high end QB isnt easy. There's like 4 in the NFL
Keep yelling to the sky, I'm sure someone will give a s**t at some point. I've given you actual facts you just ignore them. All you've given me is you POV on something….guess what buddy those aren't facts. Those are opinions.

all you do is copy/paste Thorns work and you don't even pay for the actual context lolz.

also guess what he doesn't have a 1st rd grade on a pure OG in this draft…guess he's stupid too 🫣

Here you go: 8th year in a row.

Post FA & Draft - NC: This OL is not good enough to win a Superbowl. It doesn't suck but it'll cost us in the end.

The end: Yup, NC was right again.

NC: 3
NY and the "good enough" crew: 0

Will this stick in your head this time around? In your opinion? LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 28, 2024 at 11:00 AM ]

NY85 >>>>> Brandon Thorn

Actually he only cuts and pastes the first few free parts of the article because he's too cheap to pay.
Share 49ersWebzone