There are 271 users in the forums

2024 Draft Class: OL

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Draft 3 or 4 O linemen. If they hit on 2 or 3 great. If only one works out then they can live with it. I always think back to when Walsh saw a need for DBs and took 4 in the 1981 draft. 3 were immediate starters and made the pro bowl. The other was a backup.

Kyle doesn't trust most rookies. He buries them for a year or two tbh. I wish he had more balls like Walsh.

Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think positions like OT and EDGE are groups where more often than not, the good/great players are higher end picks. Most often you're not finding really good EDGE rushers out of the 1st 2 rds. The same (to a lesser extent) is true with OT.

I feel like you can find good IOL talent outside of the top 64 picks. Same with WR/LBer/DBs. Scheme fit is big there. EDGE and OT overall need to be able to do the same s**t regardless of the scheme.

Also to play devils advocate about the no call stuff, wouldn't that also make OT less of a premium? I mean if they can just all hold all the time

Someone else said it and I agree, I'd much rather see them go after one of the top 2 or 3 interior OL's or LB's in the draft then the 9th or 10th best tackle. Whoever they draft in the first two rounds, they need starters and contributors, not projects.

To me, it really depends who falls. My order of desire would be Jackson Powers-Johnson (IOL) > Amarius Mims (OT) > Troy Fautanu (OL) > Terrion Arnold (CB) > Quinyon Mitchell (CB) > Cooper DeJean (DB) > Darius Robinson (DL)

Considering it's highly unlikely any of those players minus Robinson will be available, it'd be Robinson for me. If he's gone as well, I'd look to trade down

I think they have a shot at these two plus Guyton or Morgan in R1.

That was me talking about taking the best IOL over the 10th tackle etc.

I see a lot of mocks showing the F'in rams taking Powers-Johnson and Steelers Fautanu now. Evan see Frazier going to Detroit in some mocks Literally last week all were down at the bottom of 1/ top 2nd.

I hate looking at the draft this early because guys always rise up.

I really want a center, but if its not there they should take BPA who can play tackle or slide in at guard. If its really not a guy they love maybe there's a CB there?

JPJ is the only center worthy of R1, the other guys are R3 at best IMO. 31 is kind of a dead zone for OL nad even CBs. I just hope one of Guyton, Mims, Morgan, ot Fautanu is there. CBs, guessing the top 4 are gone then maybe Lassiter...not too much a reach at 31. One or two teams always reach (Raiders) so hopefully they do again and one of those OL falls to 31. Never know.

Good to know. I see Frazier going end r1 through mid rd2 in mocks so far. I know we need it but my god it can't be d line in rd1 again- nooooooo lol
Draft 3 or 4 O linemen. If they hit on 2 or 3 great. If only one works out then they can live with it. I always think back to when Walsh saw a need for DBs and took 4 in the 1981 draft. 3 were immediate starters and made the pro bowl. The other was a backup.

Kyle doesn't trust most rookies. He buries them for a year or two tbh. I wish he had more balls like Walsh.

I think positions like OT and EDGE are groups where more often than not, the good/great players are higher end picks. Most often you're not finding really good EDGE rushers out of the 1st 2 rds. The same (to a lesser extent) is true with OT.

I feel like you can find good IOL talent outside of the top 64 picks. Same with WR/LBer/DBs. Scheme fit is big there. EDGE and OT overall need to be able to do the same s**t regardless of the scheme.

Also to play devils advocate about the no call stuff, wouldn't that also make OT less of a premium? I mean if they can just all hold all the time

Someone else said it and I agree, I'd much rather see them go after one of the top 2 or 3 interior OL's or LB's in the draft then the 9th or 10th best tackle. Whoever they draft in the first two rounds, they need starters and contributors, not projects.

To me, it really depends who falls. My order of desire would be Jackson Powers-Johnson (IOL) > Amarius Mims (OT) > Troy Fautanu (OL) > Terrion Arnold (CB) > Quinyon Mitchell (CB) > Cooper DeJean (DB) > Darius Robinson (DL)

Considering it's highly unlikely any of those players minus Robinson will be available, it'd be Robinson for me. If he's gone as well, I'd look to trade down

I see a lot of mocks showing the F'in rams taking Powers-Johnson and Steelers Fautanu now. Evan see Frazier going to Detroit in some mocks Literally last week all were down at the bottom of 1/ top 2nd.

I really want a center, but if its not there they should take BPA who can play tackle or slide in at guard. If its really not a guy they love maybe there's a CB there?

JPJ is the only center worthy of R1, the other guys are R3 at best IMO. 31 is kind of a dead zone for OL nad even CBs. I just hope one of Guyton, Mims, Morgan, ot Fautanu is there. CBs, guessing the top 4 are gone then maybe Lassiter...not too much a reach at 31. One or two teams always reach (Raiders) so hopefully they do again and one of those OL falls to 31. Never know.

Good to know. I see Frazier going end r1 through mid rd2 in mocks so far. I know we need it but my god it can't be d line in rd1 again- nooooooo lol

Frazier should be a top 50 pick too IMO.

Our team, man, they gotta understand how much more value a top tier offensive lineman brings than any other position right now.

A star OL will help the entire offense be more effective. Every guy benefits. The linemen next to him not having to worry, Purdy more time, CMC more room to run, receivers a chance to get open and be seen in time.

There's plenty of ways we can get great overall value, but the bottom line is this draft we're drafting to replace guys over the next 2-4 years and beyond.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 20, 2024 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Frazier should be a top 50 pick too IMO.

Our team, man, they gotta understand how much more value a top tier offensive lineman brings than any other position right now.

A star OL will help the entire offense be more effective. Every guy benefits. The linemen next to him not having to worry, Purdy more time, CMC more room to run, receivers a chance to get open and be seen in time.

There's plenty of ways we can get great overall value, but the bottom line is this draft we're drafting to replace guys over the next 2-4 years and beyond.

You're right on Frazier, one site had him at 80ish, that was an outlier. All others had him in that 50-60 range.
Saw a mock yesterday with Frazier going in the first round.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

3rd round value

I think he goes higher than 3rd once he kills the combine. OTs are always a premium and every team wants

Yeah he's a top 50 pick right now imo.

49ers gotta take him at #31, they cannot wait till #62. Then take best available CB in the 2nd round.
When does the underwear Olympics start?
When does the underwear Olympics start?

Monday
Originally posted by Kolohe:
49ers gotta take him at #31, they cannot wait till #62. Then take best available CB in the 2nd round.

I feel like they could trade down a few spots and still get him. Depends how much they value the fifth year option and how good they believe that he can be.

It does seem like there will be a major run on tackles in the 1st round and guards/centers in the 2nd.

I feel like they could trade down a few spots and still get him. Depends how much they value the fifth year option and how good they believe that he can be.

It does seem like there will be a major run on tackles in the 1st round and guards/centers in the 2nd.

If we had a guy in mind, maybe we can trade back a few spots and still land some top tier players at IOL

Considering the 49ers are going to be locked out of all the top tackles in this draft class, Fisher might be a possibility outside the 1st round.

Nailed it. Most of the OT's and JPJ, experienced or not, will likely go in the first round. Morgan and Suamataia seem to be the two OT's that are on the fringe. Frazier, Barton, and Fautanu will be gone soon after that. Niners will likely have to trade up into the top 50 to get two potential OL stars in this draft.

Considering the 49ers are going to be locked out of all the top tackles in this draft class, Fisher might be a possibility outside the 1st round.

Great minds think alike -- page 1 post #15 😎 I love Fisher as a target for us.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
A guy I like at RT is Blake Fisher from Notre Dame. Check out his tape against Ohio State. He was a wall in PP. Had almost 0 bad reps in this game.

When I do a mock draft simulator it's the BYU kid at 31, your boy Haynes in the 2nd, The nickel from Michigan or a DT in the 3rd and then I double up with this kid. I really hope we come away with 2 tackles like the team up north did.

Yeah, I like Fisher too if he's there in the 3rd. I agree with most of you guys here to go get the top rated interior OL in the first and the remaining top CB with our 2nd. If we miss out or if not Fisher in the 3rd, my guy is still Christian Jones out of Texas. Prototype size, a lot of experience and good movement with some nastiness.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

3rd round value

I think he goes higher than 3rd once he kills the combine. OTs are always a premium and every team wants

Yeah he's a top 50 pick right now imo.

idk about 31 he's a bit of a raw project. I'd go cooper dejean and him maybe the 2nd
Share 49ersWebzone