LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 156 users in the forums

Who's on your do NOT draft list?

DTs with knee problems
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Brucey72:
I like McCaffrey and am not against Rice in round 7. I don't like Rice at all in round 2 or 3 which is where he will go. If he is there in the 5th, fine.

I like Rice as a JJ replacement. Wouldn't be mad at him on the 4th or later

I'd love to get him with one of our 4th round picks.
One player at the top of my do not draft list is Amarius Mims. I'm an avid follower of the NFL draft every year and every year there are players whose physical measurements are off the charts but when they eventually get on an NFL field, they either flame out or never live up to the high position they were drafted. The biggest red flag for me is his lack of experience. Here are the number of snaps that various tackles had in college who might be available at #31:

Mims: 706

Jordan Morgan: 2404
Rosengarten: 1794
Blake Fisher: 1632
Suamataia: 1287

I've warmed up to Rosengarten because he played RT at Washington and given that Penix is left handed, he protected his blind side so from my perspective, Rosengarten has the experience of playing the key role on the offensive line. Also, he's working out with Joe Staley and his high school coach was Ed McCaffrey, who Shanny admires and has the ultimate respect for. I would not be surprised to hear Rosengarten's name called at #31 and I would also not be surprised if the draft experts give us a crappy grade saying that we reached.
Originally posted by DrJawbreaker:
One player at the top of my do not draft list is Amarius Mims. I'm an avid follower of the NFL draft every year and every year there are players whose physical measurements are off the charts but when they eventually get on an NFL field, they either flame out or never live up to the high position they were drafted. The biggest red flag for me is his lack of experience. Here are the number of snaps that various tackles had in college who might be available at #31:

I've warmed up to Rosengarten because he played RT at Washington and given that Penix is left handed, he protected his blind side so from my perspective, Rosengarten has the experience of playing the key role on the offensive line. Also, he's working out with Joe Staley and his high school coach was Ed McCaffrey, who Shanny admires and has the ultimate respect for. I would not be surprised to hear Rosengarten's name called at #31 and I would also not be surprised if the draft experts give us a crappy grade saying that we reached.

I couldn't care less who he worked out with.

Joe worked out with Fautanu all the same. I mean what does being coached by Ed mean in regards to him being a good player?

If you watched mins you'd understand why he won't be there when we pick. It's not like he put bad film out there. s**t was pretty damn good vs the SEC. My only real issue with him is health. Outside of that he's got the makings of being a damn good OT for a long time.

I like Rosengarten, but he's far from a clean prospect with a high ceiling. He's already technically sound, which is great but also doesn't leave much as far as how much better he can get there. His arms aren't gonna grow lol. He's got issues dealing with power and that's only gonna become more of an issue in the NFL. Overall he's not gonna be a road grader in the run game either.

I think he's a starting RT, I don't think he's worth a top 50 pick.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Joe worked out with Fautanu all the same. I mean what does being coached by Ed mean in regards to him being a good player?

If you watched mins you'd understand why he won't be there when we pick. It's not like he put bad film out there. s**t was pretty damn good vs the SEC. My only real issue with him is health. Outside of that he's got the makings of being a damn good OT for a long time.

I like Rosengarten, but he's far from a clean prospect with a high ceiling. He's already technically sound, which is great but also doesn't leave much as far as how much better he can get there. His arms aren't gonna grow lol. He's got issues dealing with power and that's only gonna become more of an issue in the NFL. Overall he's not gonna be a road grader in the run game either.

Mims: Injury prone and inexperienced. No thanks.

And while you might not care who he worked out with or who his high school coach was, I think it could prove to be a valuable source of information on a player, especially if it's a question about a player's character, work ethic, leadership qualities, etc. The scouts have the measurables and are studying the tape and analyzing each snap and how well he performed in real game situations. I just think it's an added bonus that he's currently working out with and has been coached by people who have direct ties to the Niner organization, who might be willing to give an unfiltered and honest assessment on that player.

And you do make a good point about arm length because his arms measure 33 1/2" and the ideal arm length for a tackle is a minimum of 34". It doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be able to play tackle in the NFL (I'm sure he'll get a shot at the position) but there's a high likelihood that he moves to OG. So drafting him at #31 is probably a reach but if we snagged him in the 2nd round or later, I'd be happy with that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Mims: Injury prone and inexperienced. No thanks.

And while you might not care who he worked out with or who his high school coach was, I think it could prove to be a valuable source of information on a player, especially if it's a question about a player's character, work ethic, leadership qualities, etc. The scouts have the measurables and are studying the tape and analyzing each snap and how well he performed in real game situations. I just think it's an added bonus that he's currently working out with and has been coached by people who have direct ties to the Niner organization, who might be willing to give an unfiltered and honest assessment on that player.

And you do make a good point about arm length because his arms measure 33 1/2" and the ideal arm length for a tackle is a minimum of 34". It doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be able to play tackle in the NFL (I'm sure he'll get a shot at the position) but there's a high likelihood that he moves to OG. So drafting him at #31 is probably a reach but if we snagged him in the 2nd round or later, I'd be happy with that.

But why does who he was coached by or who he's working out with change YOUR evaluation of him?
Roger Rosebushgarden at #31. I'd take him in round 3 all day but not before. When we do have first rounders, the Niners often reach instead of taking BAP. I'll puke if we take RR at 31.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
But why does who he was coached by or who he's working out with change YOUR evaluation of him?

I don't even know if I would call it my evaluation. This is just my opinion, which most likely means nothing since I'm not a NFL scout or a professional who is paid to evaluated NFL draft prospects. And to clarify, the main reason that Rosengarten caught my eye was based on what Lombardi wrote in The Athletic when he and Matt Borrows were conducting the Niner's 7 round mock draft. Lombardi had him going #63 in the 2nd round:

Lombardi: OL Roger Rosengarten, Washington
Rosengarten is the fastest offensive lineman in this draft class. Former 49er Joe Staley is training him. He went to high school at Valor Christian in the Denver area, playing two seasons for coach Ed McCaffrey, who borrowed zone-blocking schemes straight from Mike Shanahan's 49ers and Denver Broncos playbooks of the 1990s. Oh, and Rosengarten didn't allow a sack over 610 pass-block snaps as a senior. Washington even moved Rosengarten to right tackle to protect lefty QB Michael Penix Jr.'s blindside.

There are so many sites that give detailed player evaluations that list their strengths and weaknesses, so my opinion is really based on Lombardi's and other writer's evaluations. Ultimately, the true test occurs when the player hits the field and we find out how accurate these evaluations were. And like I said, whoever is training or coaching a NFL prospect MIGHT prove to be a valuable source of information. Or, it might not. I just thought it was cool fun fact that put Rosengarten on my radar. At the same time though, I understand in this situation that it's just one tiny piece of the puzzle that teams use to grade and evaluate a prospect.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

I don't even know if I would call it my evaluation. This is just my opinion, which most likely means nothing since I'm not a NFL scout or a professional who is paid to evaluated NFL draft prospects. And to clarify, the main reason that Rosengarten caught my eye was based on what Lombardi wrote in The Athletic when he and Matt Borrows were conducting the Niner's 7 round mock draft. Lombardi had him going #63 in the 2nd round:

Lombardi: OL Roger Rosengarten, Washington
Rosengarten is the fastest offensive lineman in this draft class. Former 49er Joe Staley is training him. He went to high school at Valor Christian in the Denver area, playing two seasons for coach Ed McCaffrey, who borrowed zone-blocking schemes straight from Mike Shanahan's 49ers and Denver Broncos playbooks of the 1990s. Oh, and Rosengarten didn't allow a sack over 610 pass-block snaps as a senior. Washington even moved Rosengarten to right tackle to protect lefty QB Michael Penix Jr.'s blindside.

There are so many sites that give detailed player evaluations that list their strengths and weaknesses, so my opinion is really based on Lombardi's and other writer's evaluations. Ultimately, the true test occurs when the player hits the field and we find out how accurate these evaluations were. And like I said, whoever is training or coaching a NFL prospect MIGHT prove to be a valuable source of information. Or, it might not. I just thought it was cool fun fact that put Rosengarten on my radar. At the same time though, I understand in this situation that it's just one tiny piece of the puzzle that teams use to grade and evaluate a prospect.

I suppose I misunderstood your original post - that you were warming up to Rosengarten being the pick. I read it as you were warming up to Rosengarten being YOUR pick, but rereading, I now read it as warming up to him being THEIR pick, because they have enough information and sources that if they pick him, we should feel comfortable in their process.
Mims is getting knocked for lack of experience and injury history. His lack of experience isn't that concerning to me bc if you put on the film in the games he played he dominated. It would be different if he didnt play well and you projecting what he COULD become with his physical profile. On the field dude was a beast. Give me that all day over someone who has spent 5 years developing into a fringe 2nd - 3rd round player.

He missed 6 games with an ankle injury. He tweaked his hamstring at the combine but still did some of the workouts. I don't call that injury prone.

Here's some other additions to my list for the first round only:

ANYONE predicted to the Niners on ESPN at pick 31
Ennis Rakestraw
Roger Rosengarten
Ladd McConkey
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Brucey72:
I like McCaffrey and am not against Rice in round 7. I don't like Rice at all in round 2 or 3 which is where he will go. If he is there in the 5th, fine.

I like Rice as a JJ replacement. Wouldn't be mad at him on the 4th or later

I'd love to get him with one of our 4th round picks.

I hope they don't draft Brendan Rice, not because I don't think he'll be good. But there will be so much pressure on him because of what his dad accomplished as a 49er. I much rather get Luke McCaffrey to replace Jennings.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I hope they don't draft Brendan Rice, not because I don't think he'll be good. But there will be so much pressure on him because of what his dad accomplished as a 49er. I much rather get Luke McCaffrey to replace Jennings.

I agree, I mean if they draft those type of guys with org ties, it needs to be on the merit of the young men. Not cuz Rice, CMC, and Gore were good in their day.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I agree, I mean if they draft those type of guys with org ties, it needs to be on the merit of the young men. Not cuz Rice, CMC, and Gore were good in their day.

I think Rice fits JJ's role perfectly. Possession type guy from the slot who also blocks on running downs.

Rice adds some return ability. I somewhat understand not drafting him because of the pressure. However if he is drafted I think it would be on merit and a natural fit with a future need.
The irony of this thread is that the Niners will pick up one or two of them that people have mentioned.
Share 49ersWebzone