LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 209 users in the forums

Albert Breer and Matt Maiocco both predict Jordan Morgan to SF

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/nfl-mock-draft-pick-predictions/1728294/
Do people not like Morgan bc he projects to be a guard? I know everyone feels they can get an interior guy later on but the hit rates of guards and centers in the first round are the highest of any position group. Would you rather have the an pro bowl C/G or gamble on like the 5th or 6th best OT in the class? We are picking at 31 its not like we have a top 10 pick.

The board would have to fall a certain way for me to take Morgan at 31 but i won't be mad.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I can't wait to see Jordan Morgan as a 9er, I think it's good because Trent Williams can mentor him. Man I wanted Jordan Morgan all this time, I felt he was the best fit for the 9ers over guys like Mims, Latham, Suamataia and Barton.

Was a huge fan up until the arms, but oh well. He checks a lot of boxes for what they like and if they think he can do well at T then go for it.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Do people not like Morgan bc he projects to be a guard? I know everyone feels they can get an interior guy later on but the hit rates of guards and centers in the first round are the highest of any position group. Would you rather have the an pro bowl C/G or gamble on like the 5th or 6th best OT in the class? We are picking at 31 its not like we have a top 10 pick.

The board would have to fall a certain way for me to take Morgan at 31 but i won't be mad.

Once his arms measured out short people got turned off
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I can't wait to see Jordan Morgan as a 9er, I think it's good because Trent Williams can mentor him. Man I wanted Jordan Morgan all this time, I felt he was the best fit for the 9ers over guys like Mims, Latham, Suamataia and Barton.

fit at what? Guard? He isn't a OT in the NFL. Just isn't. Why focus keep penciling him in there as TW's "mentor" is beyond me. All these folks that are mocking him to us don't even have him listed as a tackle lol. My god.

I feel like we're just talking ourselves into a bad pick because we're expecting it at this point.

Hit rates are higher because there's literally less guys being taken at OG than any other position in the 1st. When you draft a guard in the 1st you HAVE to be 100% positive they will be a success.

their validation for a "hit" is giving that player and extension. That could be a 2yr $10M deal and it's a "hit" lol.

how about we look at who the top 15 highest paid OGs are in the league and when they were taken. It sure as s**t isn't full of 1st rd guys. Now go look at DT/EDGE/CB/OT. Full of 1st rd guys.

Also why are we assuming he's a pro-bowl guard? Dude has NEVER played OG. He isn't an OT in the NFL. So you're taking a guy who's never played a position and can't play the position he played throughout college in the NFL? f**k that.

I want no part of this guy. His film wasn't amazing.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

And his film isn't amazing either. He's not a top 50 talent and plays a non-impactful position at the next level.

I'll take Rosengarten over this dude all day. I know he can play RT.

Some guys are guards that are playing tackle in college, and so it works out. They have a mauler mentality in the run game. Figures are a little more square. Play with great leverage. Can manipulate defenders into certain directions. If they have an elite LT next to them, they would have been a LG from the get go.

Other guys are natural tackles but with trex arms. Morgan is a dancing bear. Great footwork, can mirror pass rushers, very fluid and balanced in his drop back, calibrates well, has patience. Love his physical (besides arms) and mental profile as a tackle. Look at his body in gym clothes, and the figure is a tackle. Unfortunately, he raises pads when run blocking and stalls his push. He is armsy on zone blocks and doesnt get out in front of defenders. I dont see efficiency in holding angles open for gaps. I dont think he is a guard. He doesnt look like a guard. He doesnt do guard things well. Hes a tackle with short arms. So you try him at tackle, see if it works, and if not plug him at guard and hope that works. And if not, then youve get a versatile backup on the bench but I dont think thats what we were shooting for.
[ Edited by scooterhd on Apr 25, 2024 at 9:47 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hit rates are higher because there's literally less guys being taken at OG than any other position in the 1st. When you draft a guard in the 1st you HAVE to be 100% positive they will be a success.

their validation for a "hit" is giving that player and extension. That could be a 2yr $10M deal and it's a "hit" lol.

how about we look at who the top 15 highest paid OGs are in the league and when they were taken. It sure as s**t isn't full of 1st rd guys. Now go look at DT/EDGE/CB/OT. Full of 1st rd guys.

Also why are we assuming he's a pro-bowl guard? Dude has NEVER played OG. He isn't an OT in the NFL. So you're taking a guy who's never played a position and can't play the position he played throughout college in the NFL? f**k that.

I want no part of this guy. His film wasn't amazing.

Hit rate was based on All Pro selections from 2010-2019 drafts so no your assumption of a 2 yr extension is a hit was not correct.

I'm not assuming he's a pro bowl guard but going by the hit rate he has a a better chance than other positions. All i'm saying is if the team believes he's a pro bowl level lineman then take him at 31. I don't know if they even like Morgan.
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Some guys are guards that are playing tackle in college, and so it works out. They have a mauler mentality in the run game. Figures are a little more square. Play with great leverage. Can manipulate defenders into certain directions. If they have an elite LT next to them, they would have been a LG from the get go.

Other guys are natural tackles but with trex arms. Morgan is a dancing bear. Great footwork, can mirror pass rushers, very fluid and balanced in his drop back, calibrates well, has patience. Love his physical and mental profile as a tackle. Looks at his body in gym clothes, and the figure is a tackle. Unfortunately, he raises pads when run blocking and stalls his push. He is armsy on zone blocks and doesnt get out in front of defenders. I dont see efficiency in holding angles open for gaps. I dont think he is a guard. He doesnt look like a guard. He doesnt do guard things well. Hes a tackle with short arms. So you try him at tackle, see if it works, and if not plug him at guard and hope that works. And if not, then youve get a versatile backup on the bench but I dont think thats what we were shooting for.

I agree with this assessment. He is a tackle with limitations. He wins with nuance. I do not see him consistently driving people off the screen, and I do not think he is a guard. Short arms does not a guard make.

I think he is a tackle with a pretty safe floor and a pretty limited ceiling. The kind of guy where you go into each season feeling okay about him starting but go into each offseason hoping for the opportunity to upgrade.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Apr 25, 2024 at 9:49 AM ]

And his film isn't amazing either. He's not a top 50 talent and plays a non-impactful position at the next level.

I like him despite the arm length, maybe not at 31 now, and if they are taking him at 31 it's because they think he can play T.

According to the consensus big board at nflmockdraftdatabase Morgan is 36. Listed as a tackle too.
Hit rate was based on All Pro selections from 2010-2019 drafts so no your assumption of a 2 yr extension is a hit was not correct.

I'm not assuming he's a pro bowl guard but going by the hit rate he has a a better chance than other positions. All i'm saying is if the team believes he's a pro bowl level lineman then take him at 31. I don't know if they even like Morgan.

This?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

According to the consensus big board at nflmockdraftdatabase Morgan is 36. Listed as a tackle too.

Combine measurement is 32 7/8".
What is the cutoff of arm length for tackles? Some people say 33 and others say 34. Morgan measured in at 32 7/8. I don't think that 1/8 should determine where you get picked at.

Share 49ersWebzone