LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 256 users in the forums

Draft Grades

Excellent work guys. Very interesting . Now, Scooterhd/others, any chance you could extend this to include any of the UDFAs you think might have a shot? Evans, maybe Nugent or possibly Schrader? Or whoever. And Brewer from Arena.
[ Edited by English on May 1, 2024 at 8:39 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Excellent work guys. Very interesting . Now, Scooterhd/others, any chance you could extend this to include any of the UDFAs you think might have a shot? Evans, maybe Nugent or possibly Schrader? Or whoever. And Brewer from Arena.

I expect Evans to make the roster. Schrader has a chance to make Mitchell a tradeable assett. Nugent might be a practice squader.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

I expect Evans to make the roster. Schrader has a chance to make Mitchell a tradeable assett. Nugent might be a practice squader.
Evans?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Evans?

Anderson*
some UDFA thoughts as requested...

FAU DT Evan Anderson
Sounds like he was the first call after the draft and got 280k guaranteed money from the 49ers, so they have high hopes for this kid. He is basically assured a spot on the practice squad at minimum. First, I think its important to understand what Anderson is and what his role if any would look like. He is a large anchor you are hoping to drop in at nose tackle. He's not particular long. I don't think hes shedding blocks. I don't expect anything as a pass rusher. Not sure hes going to rack up tackles either. He's not a 3 down player. What he is just a stout, thick bowling in the middle that can plug lane and take on 2 blockers, so that others can crash lanes and make plays. Hes a 1st down run stopper, short yardage, goaline situation type player. So there's not going to be a lot of splash plays from him. He could play 20 snaps, do really well, and not have is name called. On tape Anderson has some heavy hands, but he doesn't always know how to use them. I think hes a bit of a project. He just turned 22, so quite young for a UDFA and I think the 49ers are hoping they can coach him up. I think his body needs a year of recomposition as well. I think hes destined for the practice squad this year. Might get called up if theres an injury. But in 2025, he may be able to earn the DT3 or DT4.

Wisconsin QB Tanner Mordecai
I thought Mordecai was a lot of fun to watch in college. Played for Oklahoma, SMU, and Wisconsin. Has a lot of experience in very different offenses. Turns 25 during the season. 6'2 218 is a bit small for the position. He has had some issues staying healthy. Athletically tests well. Ran a 4.46 40, but doesn't look that fast on tape. 36.5 inch vertical is impressive for a QB. 9.20 RAS score. I don't love the sub 9 inch hands. That's 20th percentile and it seems to play into his fumbling. Fumbled 3 straight plays against LSU. I like his accuracy in the short field. He's got arm strength, but gets a little more wild on deeper balls. When the read is right, hes got a quick release and processes well. But when things break down he is not the best thrower from off his platform. I don't love his decision making either. He's very much a gunslinger. Elite players can get away with that mentality, but do you think a coach wants a QB2 or QB3 to have that mentality? Usually backups are the smart guys that make good decisions and work within the system. Mordecai's success will depend on how well he adapts. His athletic profile and arm talent remind me of Geno Smith. Geno almost worked himself out of the league before learning how to command a team. Tanner wont have that kind of time or number of opportunities as an UDFA. Hopefully he puts it together quickly, but I think its more likely we see him in a different league.

Michigan C Drake Nugent
I think Nugent was one of the top options for the 49ers in free agency. Might have even been viewed as a target for the last pick if we didn't already draft two interior lineman. He is a bit undersized at 6'1.5 and sub 300 pounds. Lately theres been a real preference for height at IOL, so he doesn't fit the bill. The RAS score at 6.95 isnt going to blow you away, but he has the excellent movement skills that's the 49ers require from a zone center. His shuttle and 3 cone are in the 90+ percentile. 4 years at Stanford and 1 at Michigan, so he has to be a smart man as well. That's vital in the KS scheme and often overlooked by some of these mock and rating sites. The real challenge for him at the next level is be handling power and pass protection. His armlength is decent but he has a small frame and little anchor. He moves his feet well in the run game, but I don't see the same skills in mirroring pass rushers. I don't see a high ceiling with Nugent, but he is experienced enough and smart enough to stick around somewhere. Easily a practice squad candidate. Would not be surprised if he made a roster somewhere else either. But I really struggle to see him starting at any point.

Southern Mississippi OL Briason Mays
I can tell you right away why we signed Mays. 6'3.5 and 300 pounder that has elite shuttle and 3 cone scores. Had he been at the combine, he would have had the 4th fastest 3 cone among centers and the third fastest 3 cone. Funny that Puni, Kingston, Nugent, and Mays are all sub 4.5 shuttles. We are targeting a certain athletic type - short area quickness is an absolute priority. The RAS score is 9.13, he also has a very good vertical and broad for a center and his 33.625 arms are nearly tackle quality. Looks like his frame could handle some additional mass as well. Actually played quite a bit of LT, RT, and C in college. 3 years at West Virginia before transferring to play with his best friend at Southern Miss. Haven't seen tape outside of highlights to comment on the quality of play, but there has to be something missing there not to get draft attention. This move looks like a pure traits guy. Bring him into camp and see what he can do. Low expectations, but has a fantastic physical profile if he can get coached up.

University of Missouri RB Cody Schrader
Hard not to like this kid's story. Goes from walk on to leading the SEC in rushing. Guy has ben doubted his whole life and produced when given the chance, so not getting drafted is not a new feeling for him. But hes a gamer and a football player. His football IQ comes across on tape, hes got a real low center of gravity, at 5'8 he gets lost behind the line sometimes, and while hes not fast he's got a real tiny stride that really gives him a quick little 3-5 yard burst when changing direction. It's a real unique running style. Unfortunately, the athletic and physical profiles are really bad. 3.17 RAS score. The 40 and vertical are in the bottom third of RBs tested. What's a bit concerning to me is the arms length and wingspan. Basically a 1 percentile. So here's the issue. Where does Schrader make a football team? He doesn't seem particular useful on special teams. He's not a really a change of pass back because he doesn't have the speed. Can he be a third down back? He was efficient in the passing game in college, but that could be a real question mark in the NFL. He has like the smallest catch radius in the league. Not sure he brings anything more then the swing outlet pass. I worry about his size and arm length trying to pass protect against NFL players. He really seems better suited as a volume runner, but I don't think the has the talent to win RB1. His best chance is probably on a team with more of a legit timeshare. I don't see him making the squad over Mason or IG, but would be a heck of a practice squad player.

Missouri State WR Terique Owens
I'm not sure what the deal here is. Do we owe TO some favors? Obviously the bloodline is there. I haven't watched film on him at all outside of some of the local pro day practice clips, but the college stats make you turn your head. Not sure he has 1,000 yards combined in college. 3rd on his team last year in receptions. 4th year in college he has 13 receptions for 171 yards. Either this is the most under utilized college player ever, or he just in fact doesn't have it. Would be a cool story, but I am thinking it's the latter. Would love for my ignorant self to be proven wrong on him, but this one has me confused.

Furman TE Mason Pline
Theres a long history of NFL TEs transitioning from basketball and picking up the game later in life. Pline has only played for 3 years. The first 2 years he only had 4 receptions. As a 5th senior he only had 287 receiving yards, so we need to temper expectations. I also don't see Pline as much of a blocker, especially in line. He has the frame, weight, and arm length for it but its just not a developed trait right now. Athletically, he ran a 4.81 at his pro day, so adequate but not threatening speed. 33 inch vertical is below average. He's got big hands, good timing, and is a smooth mover, but not an exceptional athlete. Personally, I think he's a bit of a dart throw. Bringing him in because the position group is weak besides Kittle, and you are hoping he responds quickly to coaching and has something untapped in him, but I just don't see it.

Nashville Kats TE Cade Brewer
Former undrafted player. Played in 2 preseason games for the Seahawks before being cut. Was previously in the arena league before getting the 49er invite, so you have to admire his passion for football. He's still just 25. College stats at Texas aren't overly impressive. Ran at 4.80 and weighed in at 237 pounds at his pro day in 2022. Only 6'2 as well. So very undersized for a classic TE. Doesn't seem like he'd profile well to block in line. Honestly, looks more like a FB build. We did this last year with Jack Coletto. Another dart throw to see if anything is there. Trying to find a cheaper Juice but the hunt continues.
[ Edited by scooterhd on May 2, 2024 at 11:57 AM ]
first three rounds: A+
Why? filled needs and do fit the system. Reach here, reach there? I don't care!
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
^ How did you see Kingstons RAS as a center?

Theres a official RAS score calculator where you can select position.

https://ras.football/ras-calculator/

On the left, here is the widely available RAS score from Math Bomb. On the right, I've dropped in the same values but at the center position. On the bottom I've included the additional metrics. Not sure why the 3 cone was left off. He ran it at the combine. He also did 32 reps and the combine and 36 reps at his pro day. Those values dont change the score, but the bottom one is the more complete profile.

I wanna see him make the move to Center. 2nd highest RAS score ever got my freaking attention. In an interview he said that he practiced Center all the time, just never did it in any games.
Thanks, Scooter, great work.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I wanna see him make the move to Center. 2nd highest RAS score ever got my freaking attention. In an interview he said that he practiced Center all the time, just never did it in any games.

Will be interesting if him and Nugent get to battle for the backup center spot right away.
I was a bit let down by the first two selections, but I'm happy we got Puni. Mustapha provides solid backup for Huf, who could potentially bring us a valuable compensatory pick if he leaves. Beyond that, I'm hoping we get some strong contributions in the return game.

Xavier Worthy looks way better than I thought. Pearsall better get healthy.
I just can't help but wonder what trading down and moving into position to get Zach Frazier and Roger Rosengarten would have looked like
I just can't help but wonder what trading down and moving into position to get Zach Frazier and Roger Rosengarten would have looked like
The way to draft fell that's exactly what I think they should've done. Even if they didn't get the best value for the trade down I think in the long run we would've been better off.

Slightly better offense with no hope for the secondary.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Slightly better offense with no hope for the secondary.

So you are of the opinion that there is currently no hope for the secondary?
Share 49ersWebzone