There are 158 users in the forums

Eric Mangini Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets

Eric Mangini Thread

Also, regarding the two-week search that led back to Tomsula, 49ers play-by-play voice Ted Robinson said on KNBR 680-AM that Tomsula actually was the first of 10 reported candidates who interviewed. Mangini, this past season's tight ends coach, also was interviewed for the head coach post, according to Robinson.
Originally posted by thl408:
You guys' points make a lot of sense now that Mangini has been retained and made DC. What he learned under Belichick jives a lot with the scheme Fangio ran in the 13 and 14 seasons. I was looking at the first handful of games in the 2011 season and I didn't see any pattern reading in the secondary. I don't know if it's because of how the offseason leading up to Harbaughs first season as HC was lockout shortened and Fangio didn't have time to implement the exotic coverage schemes. I'm now curious enough to know when the exotic coverages were implemented.

It could be (maybe) that once Fangio wanted to get more complex with coverages, that Magini was brought on to give his expertise in the pattern match schemes. The 49ers for sure ran it in 2012. After 2012, Mangini was brought on and there was a lot of pattern matching in 13 and 14. When I have some time, I'll go back and look at just exactly when the 49ers began to employ the exotic split coverages into their defensive scheme.

He definitely changed the pass defense over time. 2011 felt like a lot of man up and 2 deep back. It was an early criticism of mine.

After we picked up Eric Reid, it seemed our defense got more complex. We still didn't bring great pressure besides Aldon but we held up on the back end
[ Edited by Big_Daddy on Jan 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
You guys' points make a lot of sense now that Mangini has been retained and made DC. What he learned under Belichick jives a lot with the scheme Fangio ran in the 13 and 14 seasons. I was looking at the first handful of games in the 2011 season and I didn't see any pattern reading in the secondary. I don't know if it's because of how the offseason leading up to Harbaughs first season as HC was lockout shortened and Fangio didn't have time to implement the exotic coverage schemes. I'm now curious enough to know when the exotic coverages were implemented.

It could be (maybe) that once Fangio wanted to get more complex with coverages, that Magini was brought on to give his expertise in the pattern match schemes. The 49ers for sure ran it in 2012. After 2012, Mangini was brought on and there was a lot of pattern matching in 13 and 14. When I have some time, I'll go back and look at just exactly when the 49ers began to employ the exotic split coverages into their defensive scheme.

He definitely changed the pass defense over time. 2011 felt like a lot of man up and 2 deep back. It was an early criticism of mine.

After we picked up Eric Reid, it seemed our defense got more complex. We still didn't bring great pressure besides Aldon but we held up on the back end

Agreed. I've only looked at the first 5 or so games in the 2011 season and I saw mainly straight up man and spot dropping zone coverages. I saw very little spot dropping zone in '13 and '14. I'll go over the rest of 2011 and 2012. I know in 2012 they were pattern matching, but I don't know if it was as frequent as in 13 and 14.

The current timeline as I currently understand it. I hope to fill in the blanks sometime this week.
2011 (first 5 games): no exotic coverages
2012: 49ers did have exotic coverages, but not sure of the frequency.
2013 offseason: Mangini comes on board
2013 and 2014: lots of exotic coverages.

When using the term "exotic coverages" I am referring to pattern matching and/or split coverages where one side of the field is playing a certain coverage and the other side is playing a different coverage. This messes with QBs alot, but is hard to teach and requires very smart safeties who are responsible for calling out the coverage they feel is best suited for the defense, given the down/distance/scouting/formation that the offense is showing presnap.
^^^ Mangini came in as a consultant in 2013? That late huh...seems like he's been with us longer (consultant role).
Chris Law ‏@ChrisLaw

Cardinals HC @BruceArians says their new Defensive Coordinator will be hired from within. #Cardinals will make announcement next wk #REshow
good article posted by Valrod in the PL

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2015/01/26/eric-mangini-and-the-2005-patriots-defense-what-happened/
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by boast:

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2015/01/26/eric-mangini-and-the-2005-patriots-defense-what-happened/

lol, like valrod has anything to do with that article.

Good perspective:

OK, you get the idea. The 2005 Patriots were just a bit banged up.

That said, injuries happen. Just ask the 2014 49ers, whose injury ravaged defense had 20 different starters and still ranked fifth in the NFL in yards allowed under since-departed coordinator Vic Fangio (The 49ers, however, actually allowed 340 points, two more than the '05 Patriots).
Originally posted by NCommand:

Good perspective:

That said, injuries happen. Just ask the 2014 49ers, whose injury ravaged defense had 20 different starters and still ranked fifth in the NFL in yards allowed under since-departed coordinator Vic Fangio (The 49ers, however, actually allowed 340 points, two more than the '05 Patriots).

If any team has been more dinged up than the 2014 niners...bet they weren't 8-8! LOL!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Good perspective:

If any team has been more dinged up than the 2014 niners...bet they weren't 8-8! LOL!

Truth!

• thl408
Hell yeah, I'm the first to say 'Manginiscuses'.
Cam Inman ‏@CamInman 43s44 seconds ago
RT @KevinCManahan: Last who turned on Bill Belichick was Eric Mangini, & we've seen what happened to his career > Relegated to #49ers DC ;)
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
That makes sense. Mangini could have been hired while we were waiting.

Its hard to get excited about the hire, but I can't really get all that down on it since he does have a pretty strong defensive background and if you look at his background and how Belichick pretty much treated him like a son of sorts, there's certainly the potential for him to do well. His biggest issue IMO was his maturity, he was hired as a head coach at a very young age and when he failed at that, he was immediately rehired by another shoddy, downtrodden franchise which I think is the worst possible thing that could have happened.

Now that he's been out in the wilderness so to speak, maybe something has clicked upstairs, I guess that's all we can hope for really but if the guy was causing massive problems behind the scenes, I really doubt Tomsula would have wanted to retain him.

TBH, I got the feeling fromm day 1 and Fangio's comments, IIRC, aligned more with the idea Mangini was hired to provide additional insight for Fangio...then Roman...and then kept on staff with the only opening we had (TE). My personal feeling is that Baalke loved his defensive mind and has kept him on staff this entire time just for this role...DC. Looking at how Baalke works, this is his kind of move and I wasn't surprised by it at all. I hated to lose the proven coaches we had for an "unknown" but perhaps, within the FO, that "unknown" to us was actually a "known." We have a tendency to develop a farm system internally with players...from the PS to starters, over two years, the ACL club, etc. Perhaps Baalke was taking that same approach with his coaching staff as well.

Agreed. I've only looked at the first 5 or so games in the 2011 season and I saw mainly straight up man and spot dropping zone coverages. I saw very little spot dropping zone in '13 and '14. I'll go over the rest of 2011 and 2012. I know in 2012 they were pattern matching, but I don't know if it was as frequent as in 13 and 14.

The current timeline as I currently understand it. I hope to fill in the blanks sometime this week.
2011 (first 5 games): no exotic coverages
2012: 49ers did have exotic coverages, but not sure of the frequency.
2013 offseason: Mangini comes on board
2013 and 2014: lots of exotic coverages.

When using the term "exotic coverages" I am referring to pattern matching and/or split coverages where one side of the field is playing a certain coverage and the other side is playing a different coverage. This messes with QBs alot, but is hard to teach and requires very smart safeties who are responsible for calling out the coverage they feel is best suited for the defense, given the down/distance/scouting/formation that the offense is showing presnap.

This is from week 6 of 2011.

Pattern Matching. Color coded to easier follow the players.
DET: Drive concept over the middle.
As yellow goes in motion, Rogers follows. Rogers signals to Willis to be alert. As a QB, if this is man coverage, which defender would cover the slot WR (yellow)?

The "Under!" call is made by Rogers to tell Willis (orange) there is a drag route coming his way. Yellow is no longer Rogers' assignment. If Rogers (blue) was in straight man coverage on yellow, Rogers would run into interference and get picked.
Had yellow gone vertical, he remains Rogers' assignment.

Willis (orange) picks up the coverage on yellow and is in a better position to do so by being able to attack downhill on the drag route. Rogers picks up coverage on red (in line TE).

Completed to the drag route (yellow) for +3.
  • thl408
Split coverage
Whitner's half of the field is cover2 man. Blue lines show man coverage.
Goldson's half is in Quarters.

The LB (orange, Harylson) re-routes #2 to help slow him down. Will then sink to the Curl, then the Flat. This gives help underneath to allow the CB to play over the top. Goldon (FS) makes a flat foot read. On the other side, straight up man coverage with Whitner gaining depth to protect his deep 1/2 zone.

Completed to yellow (Megatron) for +7.
Share 49ersWebzone