There are 165 users in the forums

Eric Mangini Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets

Eric Mangini Thread

• thl408
So week 6 is when the more complex coverages began to appear in Fangio's scheme. Perhaps I missed some plays in the first 5 weeks, but in this game I easily saw more. It appears that Fangio not playing much of the complex coverages in weeks 1-5 was a case of the lockout shortened offseason, which made it harder to implement his scheme. Perhaps Mangini did come on board to give his thoughts on defensive coverages, but Fangio/Donatell had wanted to do this from the start.

Mangini, who served as Belichick's understudy for many years, should be well versed with these types of coverages. There is no all22 from when Mangini was coaching so I can't see that footage.
Originally posted by thl408:
Split coverage
Whitner's half of the field is cover2 man. Blue lines show man coverage.
Goldson's half is in Quarters.

The LB (orange, Harylson) re-routes #2 to help slow him down. Will then sink to the Curl, then the Flat. This gives help underneath to allow the CB to play over the top. Goldon (FS) makes a flat foot read. On the other side, straight up man coverage with Whitner gaining depth to protect his deep 1/2 zone.

Completed to yellow (Megatron) for +7.

I love posts like these.

You should make your own thread full of these.

I'll vouch for the guy.

So week 6 is when the more complex coverages began to appear in Fangio's scheme. Perhaps I missed some plays in the first 5 weeks, but in this game I easily saw more. It appears that Fangio not playing much of the complex coverages in weeks 1-5 was a case of the lockout shortened offseason, which made it harder to implement his scheme. Perhaps Mangini did come on board to give his thoughts on defensive coverages, but Fangio/Donatell had wanted to do this from the start.

Mangini, who served as Belichick's understudy for many years, should be well versed with these types of coverages. There is no all22 from when Mangini was coaching so I can't see that footage.

thl, which year are you referring to re: Week 6. 2013? Five+ weeks after Mangini joined us?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:29 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

thl, which year are you referring to re: Week 6. 2013? Five+ weeks after Mangini joined us?

I'm referring to week 6 of 2011, Fangio's first season. I wanted to know whether Fangio's schemes regarding complex coverages predated Mangini's arrival. It did, by a lot.
Not that it matters, but I have never been a fan of mangini, who basically just did a short tutorial under bellicheat, and then left for HC with Jets( I think). He doesn't strike me as a guy who has lots of experience once he left bellicheat, and I think I liked him best as a color commentator. DC? Well, we'll see. His post bellicheat record has not been what one would call sterling. In the broadcast booth, he was ok.
I have said that for years, Fangio had always had one of the best defenses in the league... and again, this goes all the way back to the Saint's "Dome Patrol" with Swilling, Mils, Johnson and Jackson..

His defense will always play tough and just like our defense, they will always be systematic.. but in the end, due to Fangio's conservative play calling on big games, his defense would always disappear..

Just look back at the times when and how they always played us tough, but never tough enough... we then (like Seattle now), would always find "that " hole in his defense and the Saints would always come up short..
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'm referring to week 6 of 2011, Fangio's first season. I wanted to know whether Fangio's schemes regarding complex coverages predated Mangini's arrival. It did, by a lot.

Perfect. Thanks for that clarification (and research)!
The one good thing that may come out of this hire is that the 49ers may go after Danny Shelton in the first round (although missing out on Kevin White makes me very sad), slide Dorsey over the DE, and our dominant run D (no 100 yard rushers allowed or something close to it) may return. It may also lead to Mangini being more willing to blitz Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. I expect a lot of new wrinkles on the defensive side of the ball, however, there's still a major hole in our secondary. It's time for Trent Baalke to shake that Bill Parcells/Bill Belichek tree and all of it's branches and see what/who falls out.

Perhaps they can snag an assistant from the Patriots staff that is ready to call plays?
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jan 27, 2015 at 3:52 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The one good thing that may come out of this hire is that the 49ers may go after Danny Shelton in the first round (although missing out on Kevin White makes me very sad), slide Dorsey over the DE, and our dominant run D (no 100 yard rushers allowed or something close to it) may return. It may also lead to Mangini being more willing to blitz Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. I expect a lot of new wrinkles on the defensive side of the ball, however, there's still a major hole in our secondary. It's time for Trent Baalke to shake that Bill Parcells/Bill Belichek tree and all of it's branches and see what/who falls out.

Perhaps they can snag an assistant from the Patriots staff that is ready to call plays?

Agreed. We'll certainly see way more blitzes, that's for sure. And perhaps...maybe...just maybe, we use some jam-press at the LOS and really challenge QB's that play in timing-offenses. Will he go bigger (2-gap NT) and more active along the DL (DE's rush more)? Will he play Bowman/Willis less in coverage and more down hill? Will he play jam-press with bigger, more physical CB's like Johnson, Culliver, Cook, etc.? Nice mix of off coverage, pattern match schemes with, press and jam-press? This should be fun to watch!
Niners need to go to a 4/3 -4/2 base defense Aldon and Lynch would do great as DEs because they can't pass cover for nothing they are too slow and at DT will have the Cowboy and Dorsey, the LB core would be Borland, Bowman and Willis our DBs would be Cox, Brock, Bethea and Reid with Ward/Johnson sharing nickle back duties 4/2 base.

Let's face it the 3/4 not the best for this team one thing coach Harbaugh and DC Fangio didn't do much was blitz end of games or big time downs and our secondary would always get burnt on a big play or give up a huge crucial down because we never blitz . The LEAUGE passes crap outta the ball and having 4 pass rushing Defensive Lineman is a better way to get to the QB heck if Cowboy retires I'm sure Aldon will play some hybrid DT and would be a disadvantage for bigger slower Offensive lineman to pass block him , hopefully they do change defense up this year leaving the 3/4 scheme go for the 4/3 - 4/2 base defense! If Cowboy retires I think signing a good DT in FA would be great or drafting one in the second rd to replace his hard work and ethic he brings.

Now that Arizona and Seattle are stable with good qbs maybe Rams on the rise if Bradford doesn't get hurt Niners will need to get a lot of pressure on those Qbs if they want to win the division
[ Edited by Danny707 on Jan 28, 2015 at 5:19 AM ]

Originally posted by 9moon:
I have said that for years, Fangio had always had one of the best defenses in the league... and again, this goes all the way back to the Saint's "Dome Patrol" with Swilling, Mils, Johnson and Jackson..

His defense will always play tough and just like our defense, they will always be systematic.. but in the end, due to Fangio's conservative play calling on big games, his defense would always disappear..

Just look back at the times when and how they always played us tough, but never tough enough... we then (like Seattle now), would always find "that " hole in his defense and the Saints would always come up short..

I got family that are Saints fans and those dome patrol defenses were never enough come playoff time. Partly because their QB Bobby Hebert kept screwing things up. NO was favorites vs ATL and PHI and they got beat by Randall Cunningham and Deion Sanders. They put up record statistics during the season and then come playoff time they were oh so close but not quite. One and done!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 9moon:

I got family that are Saints fans and those dome patrol defenses were never enough come playoff time. Partly because their QB Bobby Hebert kept screwing things up. NO was favorites vs ATL and PHI and they got beat by Randall Cunningham and Deion Sanders. They put up record statistics during the season and then come playoff time they were oh so close but not quite. One and done!

Let's have some perspective here. When Fangio was coming on board, his previous DC job was with Houston and his defenses were #30, #20, #29 and #29.

If Tomsula were bringing him in now as his DC, that's all people around here would be talking about.
Originally posted by crake49:
Let's have some perspective here. When Fangio was coming on board, his previous DC job was with Houston and his defenses were #30, #20, #29 and #29.

If Tomsula were bringing him in now as his DC, that's all people around here would be talking about.

Yup
Nice post Crake, and pillbusta.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by crake49:

Yup
fangio lucked out when he walked into our job. now he has to actually do some work. and spare me with the alleged miracles he did last year, he had no choice but to put in borland who was a demon,, lucked out there. the credit to that goes to the front office for drafting the kid in the first place.. i know it is against the law to give credit to the front office around here but thats exactly what happened, also fangio did s**t with our secondary, the best coach we had last year was the secondary coach, whom i wish we would have retained but i am over it and can no longer recall his name
Share 49ersWebzone