There are 242 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Buck was the 7th goddamn pick. We got the 13th in return.

But we got 4 years of great play out of him on a rookie deal too. That's actually a great return on that 7th pick
Wow what a s**t show of an off season.
Wrong player traded and signed imo, only consolation is we kept the cheaper guy. I loved Defo, Im hopin like hell AA wasnt just playin for an extension n continues to play at a high level. #whatinthef*+k 🤦🏽‍♂️
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Yeah boy!!!

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by jcs:
WTF if this real than this team is run by a bunch of monkeys. You give AA 17 million and trade away Buckner?????

How were they gong to pay Buckner $21 million a year? They had this deal worked out ahead of time so they could do the AA deal. That also clears some more cap money. If they get an O lineman that can play the next 10 years and help protect the QB then I'm okay with this. They could also get Jeudy if he slips back. All I know for sure is two 1st rounders looks a lot better than one at the end of the round.

You let AA walk and you pay the man, he's a franchise level player. AA is a one year wonder who's spent half of his career on IR.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
What pisses me off is we could have had Hopkins if we had made this trade earlier in the day. That freed up space would have helped us make a deal.

Unless the Colts were holding out on their end. We will never know.
Originally posted by JDTical:
this is a really good trade for us. it sucks losing talent like this in a year after making the SB but it is the smart thing to do if buck was holding out for that kind of money.

It's only good if after we see the details of AAs deal that his cap hit for the next 2 years are under $10m. I loved DBuck and his attitude and durability. Also depends on who we get at #13.

I think we panicked
Wouldn't be surprised if we get Cooper
Originally posted by MoeJontana84:
WTF if this real than this team is run by a bunch of monkeys. You give AA 17 million and trade away Buckner?????

we get #13 overall for it for our troubles... I don't like it either but that helps

No it doesn't. Trade away AA, Ford but Buckner is a franchise level player. This was a dumb move any way you look at it. Watch AA go on a streak of IR again.

I don't disagree with Buck being a franchise player, but at 21 mil per with what we were up against I'm not sure what else could have been done. Armstead AT MOST would have given us a 2nd rounder in a tag and trade
Wow, shocking. Sucks to lose Buck, BUT I think this is actually a fantastic move overall.
Congrats to Buck on the massive deal, and thanks for the memories. Go 9ers

I don't mind. Buckner is great but we badly need the cap space and the pick. Armstead will continue to ball
[ Edited by Youngone on Mar 16, 2020 at 1:17 PM ]
I'm perfectly OK with this.

With Buckner we gave up 1,800 yards rushing and 4.5 yards a carry 2 years in a row. Not good. And it had zero effect on W-L's.

This is a passing league. It's much easier to find DT in a passing league. And this is a W9 scheme. Edge is FAR more important.

27% of our total cap was taken up by the DL. Buckner was due a top 3 contract next.

Now they can turn that 13 and 31 into a ton of young and cheap players to develop in the system for rounds 2-4.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 16, 2020 at 1:19 PM ]
Package both 1st trade up for Okudah. Call it a day.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Yeah boy!!!

I can still hate it even if it kinda makes some sense
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Armstead is the superior player. People have just been up in their feelings about him given his first three years.

Armstead has superstar potential. Buckner is just a very good player. This was a no brainer. Especially at $21M

Share 49ersWebzone