There are 211 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by sacniner:

probably was Seattle's GM while trying to hold back his laughter.

He must find it hilarious that the GM that just leap frogged his team hard on the way to the SB just got a top 15 pick and more cap space to work with.
from a business standpoint; I LOVE IT

from a fan standpoint, f**k
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
trade growing on me

Very Belichick like

That´s exactly what Belichick would have done.
Belichick always try to trade his players one year in advance.
It´s genius when you´re fan of another team but it f**king hurts when your GM do it.
I wonder if the Hopkins to the Cards move prompted the 49ers to pull the trigger? I am shocked by this move, but I have to believe Lynch and Shanahan have a plan and they aren't going to share it with us here.

In the pros, you gotta follow the advice of The Genius himself, Bill Walsh, when he said it was better to get rid of a player a year too soon than a year too late."

Buckner joins a long line of great 49ers players who didn't retire as a 49er.
Originally posted by 9moon:
the wheel and deal... they always look good prior to the draft, more picks to play with.. until you end up with a Solomon and a Foster??

NO??

Speaking of Solomon, is he now a SHOE in for Bucko's spot ?? or will it be JULIAN TAYLOR ???

Dont make me cry.
Originally posted by walker807:

He must find it hilarious that the GM that just leap frogged his team hard on the way to the SB just got a top 15 pick and more cap space to work with.

While paying a guy 17mil with 1 solid year and losing a pro bowl stud on DL who commanded double teams making the guy who just got 17 mils job a lot easier.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
This hurts. I understand he wanted too much money... but damn. Loved me some Buckner.
Glad we got a 1st rounder out of him though.
We cannot afford to pay the starting DL 65+ mil.

Armstead outperformed Buck last year and I love Buck. He wanted Donald money, we can't tie that up and eventually Bosa will need to get paid.

Move off the player now, get something substantial for him and get a lower cost rookie at a position of need.

WR or DB at #13 IMO. Trade out of 31 for Day 2 picks unless someone we love drops.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
its sad to see Buckner go but I can understand the thinking. You simply can't allocate that much salary cap space to one position group. This will allow the team to spread the wealth around to other areas of the team that need help. Cornerback, offensive line, wide receiver among them. Could also look at a defensive lineman after this.

Personally I like Buckner much more than Armstead, but obviously the 49ers thought differently.

Id hope for a trade up for Chase Young lol but it aint gonna happen. But this was the right move. Instead of letting a player of AAs caliber walk for nothing, you sign him and trade another asset for a top 15 pick. We cant sign everyone. Better to get something we can work with than to be in cap hell. This team is being built to conpete for a long time.
Stunned at first - but honestly, this makes all the sense in the world. Buckner is amazing, but for scheme fit he can be replaced with much cheaper talent. He was the guy that drew the interior center/guard attention and allowed Arik and others to pursue. Arik has the speed and length that showed up this year in his sack numbers. He can play contain and then has the length to shed and sack, or pursue RBs from the back side. Buck's job can be done by a stout but "slippery" interior guy (not Solly tho).

Getting a 1st round pick is huge for the 9ers this year, whether they use it at 13 or trade back. I think it will have a ton of trade back value given the run on tackles or a lingering QB prospect could be here. I would trade back and pick up someone in the deep WR class - or a CB.

This also lets them trade back with the 31st pick - both picks. This was a huge need for the 9ers. Phenomenal job getting it done.

Originally posted by pdc20:
That´s exactly what Belichick would have done.
Belichick always try to trade his players one year in advance.
It´s genius when you´re fan of another team but it f**king hurts when your GM do it.

Yup, this is a very Belichick move.

What's not a Belichick move is using that 13th pick on a WR.
The honest question now is who/what do they have their eyes on?

we have TWO 1st round picks, for a team that finished 2nd place essentially. imagine being the Rams Lol
Thomas, show up or GTFO. Everyone knows he's better on the inside. Well we just freed up 700+ snaps or wtv it was.

DJ Jones showed some very nice things.

There are opportunities there, let's see who takes them.
I do think his locker room leadership and work ethic will be missed. That is hard to replace.
Share 49ersWebzone