There are 166 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by walker807:
AA played good in 2018, his stats just weren't there, similar in many ways to DeFos 2017 season. Less separates AA's 2018 year than 2019 than you would think. Biggest problem was always health, now he's had two 16 game seasons so hopefully that's past him.

Walker has been paying attention
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Buck was going to ask for $20M next year - it was the right move to trade him.

That's only a 3 million difference between Buck and AA then. And Buck is not only the better player the WAY more consistent player.

Sorry, trying to find the silver lining.
Man. Not super pumped to wake up to see this. Was always cool with arik coming back if the money was right, but Buckner was the man I wanted signed for a long time. Constant healthy high level production shouldn't get you traded.
Originally posted by luis1985:
damn. I don't think AA is worth it.

yup this really was a step down
Man didn't see us trading Buckner at all. Good luck to him in Indy
Ugh. This one hurts.
Can't sign them all. We took the cheaper guy and got premium picks for Buckner. I'll live with that.
Buck was going to ask for $20M next year - it was the right move to trade him.

That's only a 3 million difference between Buck and AA then. And Buck is not only the better player the WAY more consistent player.

Sorry, trying to find the silver lining.

I don't think there is one
Hopefully they figure out how to fix that major hole in the DL production or it could be a bad year.
Originally posted by bopicksix:
Originally posted by stefano89:
buckner was clearly better than armstead.

Uh oh your questioning the FO that took this team from the biggest embarrassment in the nfl all the way to the super bowl in short time.. bad idea! Dynasty!

Let's not act like every FO doesn't mistakes. This FO has made some. Even the great Pats and BB have made some.

we traded away an a consistent, dominating player over an inconsistent player who has only had one good season. you dont even have to question it its just common sense.
Oh wtf. I was certain they'd do whatever they could to keep the DL together for one more year at least. That was the heart of the D last year, and possibly the team. I'm disappointed as a fan, even if I understand some of the logic.

Originally posted by MoeJontana84:
Exactly this. Stings a lot right now and I'm not happy but I understand that allocating 21 mil a year to a DT where we have depth (albeit, how much the drop off between Buck and the next guy is pretty significant) isn't going to give us leeway elsewhere.

Also gotta factor in the negotiation positions. Obviously the Armstead contract talks went well, whereas we don't know how the contract talks with Buckner went. They may have stalled and made it seem to the front office that an extension would be difficult.
I love DeFo and my gut tells me this will end up being the right move.
I wasn't expecting this trade...but once the initial shock wore off, here are some facts worth examining. First, Indy & Buck agreed to an extension that'll pay him $21M a season...no way the Niners can handle that, even next year. I asked Walt (Walter's Football) what DL he'd suggest with the #13 pick. He said Derrick Brown if still available, but if not Javon Kinlaw. Both guys are SEC products, so have been battle-tested. Kinlaw's 6-5, 315, strong, agile and showed the consistent ability to disengage and/or overpower OL. Saleh's going to need that kind of productivity to somehow replace what Buckner gave him. Also, getting the #13 pick gives even more credibility to Lynch trading out of the #31 pick to garner more picks between rds 2-5.
Shocker and I can't say I am happy, but after seeing the deal Buck got, it unfortunately makes sense. He simply costs too much and we have too many guys to sign over the next two-three years. Hate to see him go, but better a year early for a first then next year for nothing
If it weren't for the Indy pick, I'd be 100% pizzed at this. But that #13 has my draft mouth watering, to go along with #31.
Share 49ersWebzone