There are 174 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Buckner is a good player but he simply isnt worth 21 million a year. I really don't understand this move for the Colts. The 13th overall pick and 21 million a year for a team who has no QB. They're looking at Rivers but his tank is almost on empty.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Mar 16, 2020 at 3:10 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Buckner is a good player but he simply isnt worth 21 million a year. I really don't understand this move for the Colts. The 13th overall pick,21 million a year for a team who has no QB. They're looking at Rivers but his tank is almost on empty.

Buckner was a top 5 IDL. You're undervaluing him.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Exactly. This is my biggest concern as well. There's no doubt that the trade was a good move, but now you're depending on Nick Bosa and 2 guys who have barely been able to stay on the field, especially Dee Ford. I don't expect him to play more than half of next year's games. The foundation of our team just got weaker.

Good point on Ford and on the flip side Buck's durability doesn't get enough credit. One missed game in four seasons.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Buckner was dominant??? When? He's a great player. But he's not dominant in the way Aaron Donald is

You can say that for every DT not named Donald. He's in a class of his own.

Whether you felt he was dominant or not his play definitely freed up others to get sacks. My concern now is how much this loss puts on Bosa carry so much of the load especially with Ford's durability in question.

If anything this changes things for Armstead. But Armstead was already better at beating double teams than Buckner.
No he wasn't.

lol Exactly.
Buckner is a good player but he simply isnt worth 21 million a year. I really don't understand this move for the Colts. The 13th overall pick,21 million a year for a team who has no QB. They're looking at Rivers but his tank is almost on empty.

He is a stud...I want to see the GTD cash. Gotta understand they have dudes coming up that need to get paid.

They could get a legit elite WR at 13 as well.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with this move. This is a deep WR class and with the 13th pick, they could draft a real gem. OR they could trade back and get their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th back.

Also, Buckner didn't ball out like he did in 2018. He had so much help this year and he has underwhelmed.

So you think that someone that is so so against the run and gets somewhere between 7 to 10 sacks a season is worth 21 aav? I like Buckner but he disappears a lot.
Now we have a bunch of half season DLs playing next to Bosa.
One can also say AA looked good last year simply because he was surrounded by superior talent and faced the least amount of attention by an offense. Now that talent is less and he has even more responsibility to make up the difference with the loss of Buckner our best player on the DLine.

Wow jcs you may be into something maybe this super bowl FO missed this one damn they really should have thought of that
[ Edited by bopicksix on Mar 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Now we have a bunch of half season DLs playing next to Bosa.

We're certainly not paying Armstead like a half-season DL...

Originally posted by Hopper:
Exactly. This is my biggest concern as well. There's no doubt that the trade was a good move, but now you're depending on Nick Bosa and 2 guys who have barely been able to stay on the field, especially Dee Ford. I don't expect him to play more than half of next year's games. The foundation of our team just got weaker.

Good point on Ford and on the flip side Buck's durability doesn't get enough credit. One missed game in four seasons.

Buck was a workhorse.
Originally posted by bopicksix:
One can also say AA looked good last year simply because he was surrounded by superior talent and faced the least amount of attention by an offense. Now that talent is less and he has even more responsibility to make up the difference with the loss of Buckner our best player on the DLine.

Wow jcs you may be into something maybe this super bowl FO missed this one damn they really should have thought of that

He didn't face the least amount of attention though
most everyone on TV is saying the Colts paid too much. in the trade, not the contract.
Can't pay everyone and for my money Buckner should've had more then 7.5 sacks playing on a line with Bosa,Ford,Armstead and DJ Jones. Not to mention the 49ers played from ahead a lot this season where our defensive line could pin their ears back.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Can we wait a few more months before making this declaration? I'm pretty sure this isn't the last move we're making.

So many overreactions on here lol
Share 49ersWebzone