There are 210 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Loco49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Buck was a workhorse.

He was, however, he did not have the same impact he had in 2018, IMO. He certainly did not match up to the hype about what he would do with Bosa and Ford. If anything, it was AA that did what many had predicted for Buckner.

I'm very happy with the trade. It really brings some interesting trade down opportunities. There will be teams that will send multiple high picks to move up to 13 if "their guy" is there. I could easily see this trade bringing a total of 3 high picks picks to the 49ers. The 31 pick has only the 5th year option to entice teams. 13 brings some serious weight.

You'll be singing a different tune when AA and Thomas are getting blown up next year! Buckner was the key!

He was certainly important, however, much of the time AA was working well enough away from Buckner that what Buck was doing did not help AA that much.

There were a lot of teams that tried to "blow up" Armstead...and failed.
Buck was a workhorse.

He was, however, he did not have the same impact he had in 2018, IMO. He certainly did not match up to the hype about what he would do with Bosa and Ford. If anything, it was AA that did what many had predicted for Buckner.

I'm very happy with the trade. It really brings some interesting trade down opportunities. There will be teams that will send multiple high picks to move up to 13 if "their guy" is there. I could easily see this trade bringing a total of 3 high picks picks to the 49ers. The 31 pick has only the 5th year option to entice teams. 13 brings some serious weight.

I'm with you. Whatever you think about this trade, the final accounting won't be over for awhile on this deal First, we don't know the details of AA's contract yet. You know that this isn't a Kirk Cousins, fully guaranteed $ 85 million deal. Paraag would have negotiated some sort of out clause in the first three years of the deal. Buck is getting $ 21 million per! That's a lot of cheddar and a lot of cap space the Niners didn't have. Second, the Niners may deal the #13 pick for multiple picks in the first 3 rounds of this or next year's draft. I will agree with you, the Niners did a good thing today that could help them way beyond this year.
AA is 15 million cap hit in first 2 years. 48 gtd. Smart move. Looks like Indy just paid defo
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Buck was going to ask for $20M next year - it was the right move to trade him.

Confirmed $21. The deal is done.

How do you feel about the trade...especially now the Buckner deal with Colts is public?

I love it. Smart business move. Heartbroken as a fan.

Same here.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
never a dull moment in niner land
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
you keep patting yourself on the back but I have yet to see the quote where you called this. If you did great call. If not quit saying you did its annoying.

All good Kansas it's there but I don't dig through the past posts, mods that threatened suspension and the mobs that wrote me off remember.. all in fun and guess what the 2nd best team in the nfl keeps getting better, dynasty!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Loco49er:
Buck was a workhorse.

You'll be singing a different tune when AA and Thomas are getting blown up next year! Buckner was the key!

He was certainly important, however, much of the time AA was working well enough away from Buckner that what Buck was doing did not help AA that much.

There were a lot of teams that tried to "blow up" Armstead...and failed.

I don't really agree because much of the time they were rushing next to each other in nickel.
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Every year ppl clamor for a WR with our 1st round pick. Most years im against it. This year especially.

Few Reasons:

1. Run 1st philosophy.
2. 3 young Wrs (Samuel, Bourne, Hurd)
3. 3 DB's become FA's after 2020 (Sherm, Witherspoon, and Mosley)
4. Cap space created from trade 12 mil and change is AAV floor for Kittle.
5. Team can't afford to pay FA DB's.
6. 2020 draft has at least 4 1st rd WR prospects if not more.
7. Team has 2 1st rd picks.

Lets recap.

Deep WR draft, for a run 1st team with very little cap space wiggle room, that has a secondary that could be completely different in 2 years.

Also can't forget about the oline. Interior starters could be improved and depth at OT is also a need.

Can we stop with this? Shanahan's system is not a run first philosophy and NEVER has been.

2019 is the 2nd year in his professional career that his offense had more rushing attempts than passing attempts. And before you say it, he didnt always have a bad team having to throw from behind.

The one and only reason 2019 isnt his first year having more rushing attempts than passing is because the other year, his quarterback had 120 rushing attempts on his own.
Originally posted by NinerLegionnaire:
Shocked at 1st, but reality is every good player can't be retained. The compensation is as good as any team could hope for honestly for a 5th year player.

I see Armstead being moved to the 3 tech not Solly. Which is good for both Armstead and Bosa.

Now with the 13th pick the 49ers have options.

Cornerback is a major need. Not because Witherspoon and Moseley are bad, but because they plus Sherm are FA's next year.

OLine is also a need. Last year we had 2 backups to the backups start games. Fortunately they held their own, but there still was a drop off. Plus Staley is getting older and is McGlinchey going to be worth 18+ mill in a couple years?

Trading back to aquire picks seems most logical. With this team's roster though it's most important to acquire guys you have little to no doubt can make an impact on the team.

Just breathe and remember the ShanaLynch duo has taken a roster essentially devoid of talent and completely turned it over. Not only has most of the team been replaced they reached the SB in their 3rd year. Majority of teams/orgs/coaches have gone through plenty of "acquiring their guys" and haven't come close to sniffing the SB.

Ill miss Buck, but I trust that Kyle and John know what they're doing. They've already proved it.

solid post
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
They better draft a WR with that #13.

It hurts losing Buck, but it's the logical thing to do. We wouldn't have received a first round pick for Armstead. At the very least we have two first round picks, the draft becomes very interesting. The numbers have to add up and with Bosa and Kittle about to be paid, paying Buck would have been a one or the other scenario with 97 and 85. Buckner, with more time, could've been one of the all-time great 49ers. I don't know if we can make up for that no matter how we draft.
This was a major win today boys. Sucks losing a fan favorite and a good player. But it was a great move.
I hate losing this beast of a player. We can only hope two things now. That Armstead continues to develop from the beast we saw last year and that they make this draft pick count.
Maybe JJ Watt is available when BoB is on that mean lean.
the only time we get a big trade is when or if Jordan Love is available.. I see 3 teams would love to move up for him after the 13th pick..
Share 49ersWebzone