LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 221 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
There had to be a decision made between Buckner and Armstead. Couldn't keep both. Had to capitalize on the value of whomever they decided to let go. Getting a 1st rounder, which happens to be top 15 in one of the better classes, is HUGE. Armstead likely wouldn't have netted that return.

Buckner is the better player right now but Armstead is not that far behind. He has better pass rush moves and has more ceiling left. Buckner has probably tapped into all of his potential.

Ah. You're saying buckner has been the better player though college and pro's. Therefore armstead will be better than him next year. I see.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its one of those trades that depends on who we get at #13. If we get another All-Pro, we win. If we don't, they win.
Not necessarily. We weren't going to be able to afford both Buckner and Armstead. Regardless of whether the pick received in the trade pans out/flops is inconsequential. The value received is always going to make this move a smart one.

No, results are what matter. This move has to make the team better or it is a bad move.
can any off you smart 49ers fans ! do a new mock draft ?
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by susweel:
We need him not to disappear during key drives at end of games. Many games last year in the 4th qtr the other teams were driving with winning scores and buck was AWOL.

Buckner's biggest hater... now all the sudden Buckner's biggest fan now that we traded him

You can be critical and still like a player. No player is perfect.

Btw i thought you had me blocked?

never seen more flip-flopping, contradicting posts from anybody on the webzone my entire tenure here lol.
Originally posted by JD9671:
can any off you smart 49ers fans ! do a new mock draft ?

The Draft War Room sub forum has a sub sub forum for mocks. The guys in there probably have chubbies with this latest development and are on it.
defo i definitely understand the decision and I know it was a tough one, but this one stings a little.
Not on the same level, but this is the most disappointed ive been to see a Niner go since Willis retired.
Great a 13 overall pick but stuck with a mediocre/to below avg player who had a GOOD year on a loaded DL and traded a stud away. Not happy. Spin it anyway you want
Didn't I call this a year ago? I'm a genius .
Lucky Buck, gets to face down Derrick Henry twice a year.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
No, results are what matter. This move has to make the team better or it is a bad move.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its one of those trades that depends on who we get at #13. If we get another All-Pro, we win. If we don't, they win.
Not necessarily. We weren't going to be able to afford both Buckner and Armstead. Regardless of whether the pick received in the trade pans out/flops is inconsequential. The value received is always going to make this move a smart one.

Keeping both Buckner and Armstead long term was never going to happen. It is impossible under the cap unless you want to lose Kittle and/or others. Thats not debatable. So you have to capitalize on your assets. If they played it out long term and let one walk, the best the 49ers would get would be a compensatory pick. They don't give 1st round comps. Trading one of the two now and getting a 1st rounder in the top 15 is better than any other scenario possible.

If whoever they draft at #13 busts, it means the pick was wrong. It doesn't make it a bad trade. Those are two separate things. This trade is already a win in regards to the value acquired.
Originally posted by teylo31:
Great a 13 overall pick but stuck with a mediocre/to below avg player who had a GOOD year on a loaded DL and traded a stud away. Not happy. Spin it anyway you want

we still have a loaded d-line. And AA was one of the reasons weather or not you want to admit that. It sucks losing DeFo but it is what it is..
Originally posted by teylo31:

We have alot of quality on the D-Line with and without buck. We just need em to stay healthy.
Bill Walsh would have made the same move.
Stupid ass move. Buckner was better than Armstead. You don't f**king let top DL go, the DL was the heart of our team.
Share 49ersWebzone