LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 284 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Stupid ass move. Buckner was better than Armstead. You don't f**king let top DL go, the DL was the heart of our team.

We'll see how it goes. The move wasn't made just for next year.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Buckner was dominant??? When? He's a great player. But he's not dominant in the way Aaron Donald is

That's not saying much considering Aaron Donald will go down as the greatest 3tech of all time.

"_Insert greatWR_ was dominant? When? He's a great player. But he's not dominant in the way Jerry Rice was."

well, according to some fans here.. and I really don't wanna mention any NY95 type of nickname, BUCKO is a SUPERSTAR... especially IF he's top 5 paid at his POSITION.. is he top 5 now?? if he's top 2, then he MUST be a SUPERSTAR!!

.. which then would make you even wonder MORE, why Brainiac Lynch would sign and trade a SUPERSTAR who's only behind DONALD !!! a very YOUNG superstar who should now be in his prime.. I mean, to just trade him away for a 13th overall pick who we don't even know that can replace a SUPERSTAR..

.. amazing, that's what I call GAMBLING !!!!
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
No, results are what matter. This move has to make the team better or it is a bad move.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its one of those trades that depends on who we get at #13. If we get another All-Pro, we win. If we don't, they win.
Not necessarily. We weren't going to be able to afford both Buckner and Armstead. Regardless of whether the pick received in the trade pans out/flops is inconsequential. The value received is always going to make this move a smart one.

No, results are what matter. This move has to make the team better or it is a bad move.
Keeping both Buckner and Armstead long term was never going to happen. It is impossible under the cap unless you want to lose Kittle and/or others. Thats not debatable. So you have to capitalize on your assets. If they played it out long term and let one walk, the best the 49ers would get would be a compensatory pick. They don't give 1st round comps. Trading one of the two now and getting a 1st rounder in the top 15 is better than any other scenario possible.

If whoever they draft at #13 busts, it means the pick was wrong. It doesn't make it a bad trade. Those are two separate things. This trade is already a win in regards to the value acquired.

There interesting thing is I never expected them both to be here long term. I figured a musical chairs approach with the contracts, where we'd have Buckner and Armstead through 2021, and then ultimately trade Armstead. This one hurts. A lot. First off, from a business perspective, it makes great sense. But because of who DeForest Buckner has been for us since day one, this makes me feel very sad. I feel gut punched and 99 was definitely a jersey I wanted to buy in the future.

Hoping we trade 31 and land a top receiver now. We have the opportunity to really do some damage on the offensive side by adding a receiver opposite Samuel (provided we don't resign Emmanuel Sanders).

I was definitely wrong that they would try and keep both.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Bill Walsh would have made the same move.

Bill would have NEVER done the same move.. not AFTER he built a strong DL like this.. Bill LOVES DLs as much as QBs... what Bill would have done was to convince the Duck Twin Ducks to accept an exact amount of salary and keep them together...

UNLESS, of course, he believes that NONE of them falls under that SUPERSTAR category..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IrishCrnjo:
Stupid ass move. Buckner was better than Armstead. You don't f**king let top DL go, the DL was the heart of our team.

I didn't like the move, but I understand it and hope it works out for the best. The 9ers were running low on both draft picks and cap space. Not sure how space it actually freed up, but now they don't have to worry about signing another high priced DT that will restrict your salary cap. And with the 13th pick, they now have much more options and ammo to trade down and acquire more picks, instead of just relying on pick #31.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Bill Walsh would have made the same move.
You mean trade a 26 year old 2 time pro-bowler and keep the injury prone one year wonder....
[ Edited by jcs on Mar 16, 2020 at 8:21 PM ]
The signing of Dee Ford is what killed it for us and DeFo.
Originally posted by teylo31:
Great a 13 overall pick but stuck with a mediocre/to below avg player who had a GOOD year on a loaded DL and traded a stud away. Not happy. Spin it anyway you want

Armstead had a good season in 2018, he took another step forward last season. People are so stuck on their original view of him that its gone well beyond irrational at this point. He's a very good DL in his own right.

I'm devastated by this, DeeFo was a real leader on this team. I realize we couldn't afford him but man this is a tuff loss for maybe the most durable player in NFL
I get what some are saying. Just hard to see top flight talent being traded. Dude was a monster in the super bowl. Who do we have to eat up double teams while making big plays shedding those double teams?
[ Edited by lamontb on Mar 16, 2020 at 8:27 PM ]

Originally posted by lamontb:
I get what some are saying. Just hard to see top flight talent being traded. Dude was a monster in the super bowl. Who do we have to eat up double teams while making big plays shedding those double teams?

Nick Bosa...

DJ Jones will play a big part next year too, assuming he stays healthy of course.
Man, I actually had the team allowing Aweak ArmHurt walk while keeping Bucko and moving up Julian Taylor ...

Brainiac Lynch and Choke Artist Kyle must have already fallen in-love with someone right now..
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I don't understand this from the Colts standpoint. Don't they badly need a QB? They could have used that 13th overall pick to solve that problem.

As for the Niners I think when the shock wears off, people will come to realize this was the right move. And Niners will still have a good pass rush without Buckner but would they be able to stop the run at all without AA?

So if Eason is there at 31, we will take both their seconds, 34 and 44. 👍✊
Originally posted by genus49:

Nick Bosa...

I mean the interior. Buck eats up the guard and center most plays. Teams shifted to start double teaming Bosa after the Carolina game. Buck allowed the linebackers to flow and make plays. I just don't see that player on our roster anymore. Run d gonna be super soft.
Share 49ersWebzone