LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 258 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Zachary:
Originally posted by 9moon:
UNLESS we draft someone who ends up a MAHOME type of SUPERSTAR, the trade will never make any sense..

Wtf lol

He's right. That's a big, big loss. #13 draft pick is not as good as him. Not by a long shot. Expect our defensive line to drop off a lot. Expect Bosa to suffer with no Buckner in there to eat up blockers. All that said of course I understand why they did it given the cap situation and the amount allocated to the defensive line. And it's great to have #13 and #31 in the first round. Hopefully we can hit on those and fill some holes.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
This really sucks still. I don't see how you are going to replace his production. AA better not be a one year wonder on his contract year.

Niners like versatility-he played both DE and DT. The other thing to remember is that last years scheme might be what he needed to bring out the best in him. Still, we didn't have the cap space that his people wanted. Plus it is not just a matter of AA, it is AA and the draft pick.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Figure at least 3 QBs, Chase Young, and that monster offensive lineman go before our pick. That makes us 8th on everybody else. We can get somebody really, really good at WR or CB, or trade our #13 down but stay in the 1st round, then pick up a WR and have a 2nd and 3rd or something similar to use as well. And still have our virgin #31.

I agree about getting a good WR, DB or trade down (still getting good wr and db), but don't rule out them picking a DL again either depending who becomes available.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The signing of Dee Ford is what killed it for us and DeFo.

Maybe, but then we wouldn't have gotten to the superbowl or even won the NFC west. The tapes validates this. They were not the same with Ford out.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Maybe, but then we wouldn't have gotten to the superbowl or even won the NFC west. The tapes validates this. They were not the same with Ford out.

It's not Ford. It's just having 2 good edge rushers. It would be the same if Bosa was injured. Less good.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
UNLESS we draft someone who ends up a MAHOME type of SUPERSTAR, the trade will never make any sense..

Wtf lol

He's right. That's a big, big loss. #13 draft pick is not as good as him. Not by a long shot. Expect our defensive line to drop off a lot. Expect Bosa to suffer with no Buckner in there to eat up blockers. All that said of course I understand why they did it given the cap situation and the amount allocated to the defensive line. And it's great to have #13 and #31 in the first round. Hopefully we can hit on those and fill some holes.

I disagree, the trade makes sense. He just doesn't understand why. Losing a player and getting nothing, one player vs three players. He is not Aaron Donald or even Chris Jones. 21 million? Love the guy, would like to keep him, but keeping the TEAM contenders in the long run is the goal. The 13th pick if he turns out to be a good player. Its good, a pro bowler, its great. You never know. Teams all over the NFL are forced to make choices.

It's not Ford. It's just having 2 good edge rushers. It would be the same if Bosa was injured. Less good.

That's the point though isn't it. Do you want to win or not? We needed Dee, if we didn't, we good keep DB, but we would be lethargic.
So so sad.

I understand it from our POV.

I understand it from Buck's POV

I understand it allows us to keep a few more players and even improve if we nail the draft.

Still hate it, and that's why I'd make a terrible GM. Even if it was the best decision in the short - long term. Don't know if I could have made it.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
So so sad.

I understand it allows us to keep a few more players and even improve if we nail the draft.

Still hate it, and that's why I'd make a terrible GM. Even if it was the best decision in the short - long term. Don't know if I could have made it.

Yep. Hate this one.
This move really shocked me, after the initial shock wore off, I understand it and actually think it makes perfect sense. Like many of you have said, it hurts though, I always envisioned Buckner being on this team a long time, he's a cornerstone. But it was the right decision for the franchise.

With that said, the team needs to invest a high draft pick in a DT. I understand DJ Jones can see an expanded role and we're pretty deep still on the interior DL with Taylor, Street, Thomas, Givens and AA/Blaire being able to play both edge and inside. Still, we just lost one of the best DT's in football, replacing him with his former backups is going to mean the DL takes a step back, the same DL that was our team strength and got us to the Super Bowl last year.

I know everyone wants one of the elite 3 WRs with the 13th pick & I'm excited for that very real possibility as well. I do wonder though if it would make sense to grab one of the 2 elite DTs in this draft whom are both top 10 prospects & grab a WR with either pick 31 or a 2nd round pick if we do trade down from that pick. It's going to be interesting to see how the team addresses everything after this deal.
Bettin the farm on two former scrubs armstead and ward. Hopin dees knee gives us 400 snaps.

Someone pinch me.

Not sure how I feel about this.

I understand the reasons for it etc.

I have a feeling this will end up being the wrong move.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
So so sad.

Yep. Hate this one.

and this is why losing the SB hurts even more when you were 6 mins away, you just knew the team would be different and no matter how many of us wanted to believe we can bring back AA, resign Buckner along with Kittle it was going to be beyond difficult if we wanted to be relevant for years and not be in cap trouble later on

Wtf lol

Haha- isn't he also the one that always want's to trade players just to get draft picks?

Pretty much lol

Wtf lol

I disagree, the trade makes sense. He just doesn't understand why. Losing a player and getting nothing, one player vs three players. He is not Aaron Donald or even Chris Jones. 21 million? Love the guy, would like to keep him, but keeping the TEAM contenders in the long run is the goal. The 13th pick if he turns out to be a good player. Its good, a pro bowler, its great. You never know. Teams all over the NFL are forced to make choices.

5 healthy games of Jimmy Ward, 10 healthy games of AA and the next Thomas or Pettis?
I would have rather had 16 games of a healthy DeFo.
I really hate this move. DeForest Buckner has been better than Armstead since the days they were together in Oregon. He's more athletic than Armstead who is slow as molassas. Arik if a fine lineman, but he gets burned on the edge all the time. He did not deserve such a massive contract. The 49ers kept the wrong guy.

Our DL is what made our team last year.
Share 49ersWebzone