There are 125 users in the forums

Kicker Robbie Gould

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Why did he say he would be kicking elsewhere? Maybe he kicked tires on the market and saw no interest probably due to his age. Is that what is going on here? Now he wants his job back?

Your out of your mind.

Just asking questions I didn't even put forward any take, just trying to understand what is going on.. I thought he said publicly he is hitting FA and not returning to SF.. now I hear he's coming back perhaps..
Why did he say he would be kicking elsewhere? Maybe he kicked tires on the market and saw no interest probably due to his age. Is that what is going on here? Now he wants his job back?

Your out of your mind.

Just asking questions I didn't even put forward any take, just trying to understand what is going on.. I thought he said publicly he is hitting FA and not returning to SF.. now I hear he's coming back perhaps..

Maybe he isn't getting much interest and figures he's better off with the Niners.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Your out of your mind.

Maybe he isn't getting much interest and figures he's better off with the Niners.

that was my speculation at his age it's hard to get work in the NFL.. but if market value isn't there, his price ought to reflect that, sorry Robbie

Your out of your mind.

that was my speculation at his age it's hard to get work in the NFL.. but if market value isn't there, his price ought to reflect that, sorry Robbie

I'd love to have him back even though he's lost leg strength. His reliability from 50 yards on in is exceptional. With this offense, the Niners don't need a guy that can kick from 55-65 yards.
Robbie's leg strength has declined quite a bit over the last few seasons, he's still extremely dependable, but I was kind of hoping we could solve the kickoff issues this off season.

maybe Robbie has been injured? Idk.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Robbie's leg strength has declined quite a bit over the last few seasons, he's still extremely dependable, but I was kind of hoping we could solve the kickoff issues this off season.

I've seen a lot of people wanting a kicker who can get touchbacks on a regular basis, but why not just improve the coverage? I thought for the longest time that he was kicking them short on purpose, because now that the ball is placed at the 25, it should be easier to stop them at, say the 10 or 15, than just giving them 25 yards for nothing. Shouldn't we focus on that instead? Not to mention that kicking into the end zone isn't an automatic touchback anyway.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:37 PM ]
I'd love to have him back even though he's lost leg strength. His reliability from 50 yards on in is exceptional. With this offense, the Niners don't need a guy that can kick from 55-65 yards.

It was, not sure its exceptional anymore.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

I've seen a lot of people wanting a kicker who can get touchbacks on a regular basis, but why not just improve the coverage? I thought for the longest time that he was kicking them short on purpose, because now that the ball is placed at the 25, it should be easier to stop them at, say the 10 or 15, than just giving them 25 yards for nothing. Shouldn't we focus on that instead? Not to mention that kicking into the end zone isn't an automatic touchback anyway.

I always thought he was too. Haha
the best coverage on a kickoff is a touchback. I would still rock with Gould, it just always gives the team a chance to get more injuries, give up big returns, or a touchdown. I think our special teams coverage was much improved this year though.

im not saying you, but I feel like special teams play is so underrated. Ours is just fine, it would just be nice to get touchbacks.

i wonder if wish could bomb a kickoff?
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:40 PM ]
The only team that needs a kicker besides us is the Rams. Looks like you got a lot of options out there Robbie. You have no leverage in this, time to man up and return to the 49ers.
Originally posted by braap49er:
The only team that needs a kicker besides us is the Rams. Looks like you got a lot of options out there Robbie. You have no leverage in this, time to man up and return to the 49ers.

That would make me sad… to see him in a rams uniform. Lol

i don't think he will go because of so much uncertainty there - he really wants to win one.

Originally posted by braap49er:

i don't think he will go because of so much uncertainty there - he really wants to win one.

He also got into it with the Rams. Remember Ramsey's punk ass bumping him after his field goal.
Kicker is not a high priority for teams. Come training camp is when they will come calling. At his age, he is in no rush. I thought this year we did a lot better on kickoffs from the kicker instead of the punter, but there were times the coverage sucked and Gould had to be the human tackling dummy.
He didn't want to retire because he's close to several records. We can get you a SB Robbie.

Robbie as a Ram? Plz none of this lol
Tampa Bay just released Succop.

I wonder if they're thinking about making a move for Robbie?
Share 49ersWebzone