There are 287 users in the forums

Kicker Robbie Gould

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
It's not just about failing to keep arguably the best kicker in the league. It's about being a doormat and not treating this properly like a business.

Not at least tagging one of your best players is how you get worse and the rest of the league gets better. We're going to be one of those bottom-feeder teams that just bends over to the top teams for a loooooooong time if this is truly Lynch's mindset.

He'll probably let Kittle and Buckner go when their contracts expire too. Gotta be nice and let them go to wherever they want!

Seriously I'm appalled that there are actually fans in this thread already defending Lynch. I try to be realistic too but this is a big red flag for me. You don't let one of your best players walk when you have all the cap space in the world. You just don't. You ESPECIALLY don't do it just to be a nice guy when this is a competitive business.

Letting your best players walk is how bad teams stay bad and get worse.

best kicker in the league? say what...top 10 sure. Dude is going into his 15th season, he's not some young prime edge rusher or some s**t lol. he's a f**king old kicker.

not tagging a kicker doesn't make this team a doormat lol that's a horrible analogy. We also have no idea if they will or won't you can't tag players yet. I'm fine either way, there's plenty of good young kickers out on the market. I'll take the kicker from KC, NO, NY, Minn, Jags etc....

NY you're reaching hard on this one. Kickers can play forever. That kicker in Indy is 10 years older making nearly what you don't want to pay Gould. 36 is not old for kickers now. Matt Bryant is 43 too.

Also if you think is so easy find another kicker that good then tell 10 prospects (FA and draft) to fill Gould's possible departure? Gostkowski would not leave Pats because their FO really care of cornerstone player also knows market is not safe to bet on a new player, Dawson is older and his production is decreasing compared of his time as Niner, Bailey proven his mental breakdown is there to stay until his last day on Earth, Nugent is not reliable anymore, Catanzaro and Santos are lukewarm. Lambo could be an option but is going on a bidding war against another team desperate for a good kicker and if Lynch attitude is a serious concern on how they want to go after talent this offseason. Draft is okay but after looking Aguayo's meltdown from being the next Janikowski to become just another journeyman gives me real fear on taking and depend on a rookie kicker on game defining moments. Also is important to have playmakers who already are in place to compete not only on roster but other players in the league because we cannot have other season looking for sync with veterans and rookies which could translate into another failing season. 2019 IS WIN NOW NO MATTER WHAT!
[ Edited by NIMV4683 on Jan 31, 2019 at 4:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
It's not just about failing to keep arguably the best kicker in the league. It's about being a doormat and not treating this properly like a business.

Not at least tagging one of your best players is how you get worse and the rest of the league gets better. We're going to be one of those bottom-feeder teams that just bends over to the top teams for a loooooooong time if this is truly Lynch's mindset.

He'll probably let Kittle and Buckner go when their contracts expire too. Gotta be nice and let them go to wherever they want!

Seriously I'm appalled that there are actually fans in this thread already defending Lynch. I try to be realistic too but this is a big red flag for me. You don't let one of your best players walk when you have all the cap space in the world. You just don't. You ESPECIALLY don't do it just to be a nice guy when this is a competitive business.

Letting your best players walk is how bad teams stay bad and get worse.

best kicker in the league? say what...top 10 sure. Dude is going into his 15th season, he's not some young prime edge rusher or some s**t lol. he's a f**king old kicker.

not tagging a kicker doesn't make this team a doormat lol that's a horrible analogy. We also have no idea if they will or won't you can't tag players yet. I'm fine either way, there's plenty of good young kickers out on the market. I'll take the kicker from KC, NO, NY, Minn, Jags etc....

Minn was replacing kickers this year

A lot of kickers missed a lot of "routine" FG's and extra points this year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 31, 2019 at 4:54 PM ]
All this hand-wringing about a rumor from the Senior Bowl game.

90% of rumors are started by agents looking to boost their side. They have little validity other than someone is running their mouth.

As to Gould going back to Chicago; that will only happen if Gould agrees to take something considerably LESS than the $2M he earned this last season.

The Bears are in a very tight cap situation. They currently have only $13M in cap room. They just signed Bobby Massie to a new deal for an undisclosed amount of money. An educated guess based on what other RTs are getting would put him in the $6M range. So let's say that leaves them with about $7-8M.

They also have to resign Bryce Callahan who is one of the top 10 CBs in the league. He is going to get at least $10M, if not more.

Do the math. The Bears are going to have to re-work a number of contracts just to be able to keep the guys they have, and that does not even begin to consider adding Gould to the $5M in dead money they will be carrying if they cut Parkey.

Folks need to chill on Gould going back to Chicago unless he is willing to play for free.
Originally posted by dj43:

90% of rumors are started by agents looking to boost their side. They have little validity other than someone is running their mouth.

As to Gould going back to Chicago; that will only happen if Gould agrees to take something considerably LESS than the $2M he earned this last season.

The Bears are in a very tight cap situation. They currently have only $13M in cap room. They just signed Bobby Massie to a new deal for an undisclosed amount of money. An educated guess based on what other RTs are getting would put him in the $6M range. So let's say that leaves them with about $7-8M.

They also have to resign Bryce Callahan who is one of the top 10 CBs in the league. He is going to get at least $10M, if not more.

Do the math. The Bears are going to have to re-work a number of contracts just to be able to keep the guys they have, and that does not even begin to consider adding Gould to the $5M in dead money they will be carrying if they cut Parkey.

Folks need to chill on Gould going back to Chicago unless he is willing to play for free.

If your numbers are straight ( I assume they are ) you have a good point. Looks like the Niners are in good shape...we will see in March..I'll bookmark page 27 and check back
  • jcs
  • Veteran
love Gould, but he's a kicker good lord people...what the hell do you actually want to pay him?? $4+ million per yr? That's what the highest paid K is getting currently.

end of the day if he wants to go home to be with his family it is what it is.

There are stretches where he's been our only scoring threat each of the last two seasons. He's won us atleast 4 games over that period when winning has been few and far inbetween.
Originally posted by Viperboy:

If your numbers are straight ( I assume they are ) you have a good point. Looks like the Niners are in good shape...we will see in March..I'll bookmark page 27 and check back

I think so.

I don't expect anything to happen for a week or so. Right now I am sure everybody in the building is analyzing what they learned in Mobile and how that fits onto an early draft board. Once that is completed they can focus on these contract issues.

In the meantime, fans will have to do what they are least good at; be patient.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Imagine having one of the best players in the league at his position, no superior guaranteed options, thinking that 2019 is your year to make a playoff run and being like... nah, we should save that $1M.
[ Edited by okdkid on Feb 1, 2019 at 7:26 AM ]
Couldn't they just franchise him?
Originally posted by okdkid:
Imagine having one of the best players in the league at his position, no superior guaranteed options, thinking that 2019 is your year to make a playoff run and being like... nah, we should save that $1M.

Especially with all that cap space lol

I bet you he would. His family is still there, Whats the Vet Min?? 1mill or so?? Me thinks the Bears can make it happen. I mean.. Nothing is certain but you best belive Bears Fans were asking bout Gould after that missed kick vs the Eagles
Originally posted by sanjo49er:

I bet you he would. His family is still there, Whats the Vet Min?? 1mill or so?? Me thinks the Bears can make it happen. I mean.. Nothing is certain but you best belive Bears Fans were asking bout Gould after that missed kick vs the Eagles

Whatever the case, if he goes back to Chicago it will NOT be because they offered him more money than Lynch. The Bears will not have that kind of money to spend unless someone thinks that Robbie Gould is worth more than a top 10 CB who is on the field for every defensive snap.
To me i hope they keep him. I really do. would be really nice not to worry bout special teams. To many issues to worry bout on this Team besides special teams .I say sign him and keep it moving
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/123220-kyle-shanahan-expects-kicker-robbie-gould-back-49ers/

"I'm also expecting and looking forward to having Robbie back in a Niners uniform next year."
Get it done.
Share 49ersWebzone