There are 149 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
With all these injuries we have where is this guy? Can't he step up? We need him now more than ever.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
With all these injuries we have where is this guy? Can't he step up? We need him now more than ever.

With all the injuries at end, they moved him back out of position to end, where he will never do anything because it's so far from his natural position it's a joke.

He was stepping up when he was inside, as I pointed out repeatedly in this thread.

Second from the top with the black arm sleeve
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Occupies both blockers. 3 yard run.
Now, that wasn't Thomas's best play vs. a double team, as the LG is able to peel off late onto Warner, but he keeps it to a rather minimal gain (not to mention, the fact he was wearing that black arm sleeve would indicate he was probably playing with some kind of minor injury...will be interesting to see the injury report this week).

Compare that to this abomination from #99 last year:

Everyone in the thread was focusing on how Armstead didn't whoop the TE, but I was focusing on how Buckner was like tissue paper. You can't play a double team any worse than this. That's an offense's dream.
[ Edited by JustWin2019 on Nov 25, 2019 at 9:55 PM ]
Originally posted by JustWin2019:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Occupies both blockers. 3 yard run.

Lol man you spin any argument you can to fit your terrible and false narrative. Lol. Is that you, Solomon?
Now, that wasn't Thomas's best play vs. a double team, as the LG is able to peel off late onto Warner, but he keeps it to a rather minimal gain (not to mention, the fact he was wearing that black arm sleeve would indicate he was probably playing with some kind of minor injury...will be interesting to see the injury report this week).

Everyone in the thread was focusing on how Armstead didn't whoop the TE, but I was focusing on how Buckner was like tissue paper. You can't play a double team any worse than this. That's an offense's dream.

We talking about last year now?!?
Originally posted by Scottie15:

Or I could refer to the Kenyan Drake 36 yard run on the Cardinals' opening drive this year in the first meeting with them.

https://www.nbafullhd.com/100166-2/

Or how about vs. the Rams at 10:07 when Havenstein delivers a monstrous pancake block to him?

https://www.nbafullhd.com/97578-2/

Why is nobody saying Buckner can't play inside? He's nowhere near being as good against the run as Thomas. He's a huge liability at the point. Has been ever since college, when he made Jack Conklin's draft status by getting famously thrown to the ground against him.

Meanwhile, the Thomas haters have to reach for 3 yard gain plays where he's trying to interfere with a guard who has no interest in him on a non-combo play to try to prove Thomas can't play inside. It's hilarious.
[ Edited by JustWin2019 on Nov 25, 2019 at 11:05 PM ]
Defo rated 79 on pff thomas 60.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Defo rated 79 on pff thomas 60.

Which demonstrates why PFF is a joke.

Buckner is horrid at the point and has a lower QB hits per snaps ratio than Thomas (or at least he did prior to the Packers game).

Buckner doesn't even do that bad there and #47 (Elijah I think) whiffs on the tackle that could have made it a modest gain. Anyway I trust Saleh and Solly couldn't even beat out Damontre. He's consistently getting blown off the line, it's pretty obvious. This is why 270lbs defensive tackles don't exist, it's physics. He doesn't have the weight to anchor.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Nov 26, 2019 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Buckner doesn't even do that bad there and #47 (Elijah I think) whiffs on the tackle that could have made it a modest gain. Anyway I trust Saleh and Solly couldn't even beat out Damontre. He's consistently getting blown off the line, it's pretty obvious. This is why 270lbs defensive tackles don't exist, it's physics. He doesn't have the weight to anchor.

Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. Buckner not only gets blown off the ball there, but he immediately allows the guard to peel off and absolutely annihilate the linebacker, providing absolutely zero interference. His job is to either tie up the post blocker on the combo, or slip the post blocker and make the tackle himself at or near the line of scrimmage. He did neither, and that's what sprung this run. An offensive line coach couldn't ask for a better result on a combo block than this. The only reason Lee makes contact with Blount is the pulling guard (believe it's Ragnow) is late on the pull, as Lee was his man.

This would never in a million years happen to Thomas.

"Couldn't even beat out Damontre." Damontre didn't even make the roster, dude. And they don't even play the same position.

Worst case scenario for the 49ers when teams run at Thomas is a 4 yard gain. Worst case scenario when teams run at Buckner is 10+ yard gains.

And no, that's not how physics works. Thomas provides 600 pounds of squat worth of resistance, in addition to his weight, to whatever force he is taking on. 30 pounds of fat (which he could easily put on if he wanted to, as absolutely anybody can put on fat) is not going to make a difference.

Maybe the team should just go out and sign some sumo wrestlers to play nose guard. Surely with all that WEIGHT, nobody will be able to move them.

This is why Thomas is 270 and not 300:

He, like Aaron Donald, has extremely low body fat for a DT.
[ Edited by JustWin2019 on Nov 26, 2019 at 7:52 AM ]
It's too late to do this now but I always thought Thomas could be used as a big LB against teams like the Ravens that like to run right at you. If he practiced at that spot and dropped 10 lbs to get even quicker I think he could be effective playing in that spot. There have been several 260 lb linebackers in the league and I don't see him getting big enough to be really good on the line.
Originally posted by T-9ers:

Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. Buckner not only gets blown off the ball there, but he immediately allows the guard to peel off and absolutely annihilate the linebacker, providing absolutely zero interference. His job is to either tie up the post blocker on the combo, or slip the post blocker and make the tackle himself at or near the line of scrimmage. He did neither, and that's what sprung this run. An offensive line coach couldn't ask for a better result on a combo block than this. The only reason Lee makes contact with Blount is the pulling guard (believe it's Ragnow) is late on the pull, as Lee was his man.

This would never in a million years happen to Thomas.

"Couldn't even beat out Damontre." Damontre didn't even make the roster, dude. And they don't even play the same position.

Worst case scenario for the 49ers when teams run at Thomas is a 4 yard gain. Worst case scenario when teams run at Buckner is 10+ yard gains.

And no, that's not how physics works. Thomas provides 600 pounds of squat worth of resistance, in addition to his weight, to whatever force he is taking on. 30 pounds of fat (which he could easily put on if he wanted to, as absolutely anybody can put on fat) is not going to make a difference.

Maybe the team should just go out and sign some sumo wrestlers to play nose guard. Surely with all that WEIGHT, nobody will be able to move them.

LOL

Buckner is better than Thomas, dude.
Originally posted by Scottie15:

Or I could refer to the Kenyan Drake 36 yard run on the Cardinals' opening drive this year in the first meeting with them.

https://www.nbafullhd.com/100166-2/

Or how about vs. the Rams at 10:07 when Havenstein delivers a monstrous pancake block to him?

https://www.nbafullhd.com/97578-2/

Why is nobody saying Buckner can't play inside? He's nowhere near being as good against the run as Thomas. He's a huge liability at the point. Has been ever since college, when he made Jack Conklin's draft status by getting famously thrown to the ground against him.

Meanwhile, the Thomas haters have to reach for 3 yard gain plays where he's trying to interfere with a guard who has no interest in him on a non-combo play to try to prove Thomas can't play inside. It's hilarious.

Opposite day?
Share 49ersWebzone