49ers WR Deebo Samuel will miss 'a couple of weeks' with calf strain →

There are 220 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
It's clear you believe solly deserves more pass rushing opportunities and the staff doesn't give him it. Why do you think that's the case.

If solly really is that much of a better run defender , and you aren't pick and choosing plays, then that's something to be excited about. He was a beast of a run defender in college.
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Nov 26, 2019 at 3:22 PM ]
Originally posted by JustWin2019:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
The bottom line is, in both examples, neither player accomplished what they were trying to do. Yet you are spinning the result of the play to somehow say that one player did his job and the other didnt.

More like posters in this thread are using confirmation bias to try to prove that Thomas can't play inside, reaching to a ridiculous extent to attack Thomas in the context of them also thinking that Buckner is good against the run.

You can try to lump all posters together all you want. Try to address MY post rather than everyone at once.

The two plays are similar in the sense that neither Thomas or Buckner did what they wanted to do. Both were blocked and pushed backwards. Yet because the result of the plays were different, you claim that one of the two players didnt do his job and the other did.

And you have the nerve to talk about biases.
Most of the gifs i watched show not just buck but everybody being blocked well. And hes being duble teamed. That last chunb run he tried to shoot the gap and opened up that hole for chubb. That's the only play where i can specially pinpoint him
Kenyan Drake runs for 36 yards behind combo block that easily blows Buckner off the ball and post blocker peels off onto Warner:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PassionateThickAgama-mobile.mp4

Havenstein viciously pancakes Buckner one-on-one: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BonyConcernedCatbird-mobile.mp4

Some Bucs runs vs. Buckner: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SizzlingCriminalAmericankestrel-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FirstAnchoredAiredaleterrier-mobile.mp4

Add a Chubb 37 yard run here: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LiveOrderlyGlowworm-mobile.mp4

Pff has seen all that and rates him 79. Solly is at 60. Your point?
With the emergence of Armstead, DJ Jones & addition of Bosa & Ford, I really don't see many opportunities for Thomas. I think his best chance to stay in the NFL is to get traded to a team that needs him & doesn't have the depth we do. Sometimes these things happen...I've seen lots of what were deemed "can't miss" prospects never reach the expectations they were drafted for.
No, Buckner got absolutely demolished on that play. Blown off the ball about as badly as you will ever see happen to a guy in the NFL, and the post blocker went through him like tissue paper and wiped out the LB. And that was a designed combo block.

Unlike with Thomas, where he was attempting to tie up a guard on a play where the guard was not designed to even touch him. Thomas tried to force the double team and didn't quite pull it off. He should have just let the guard to the second level and beaten the tackle to the gap instead. Recognition error.

He doesn't make many of those, however. Last week he jumped to the outside shoulder of the Cardinals' LG on an RPO going his way, which gave Warner and Greenlaw the signal to move in that direction as well (only for Greenlaw to fail to get outside the blocking WR and get sealed).

lol if you you're calling that buck clip getting blown off the ball and ST's clip not.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm using Chrome. I also tried on my phone so that's Safari. I'll try Netscape or Opera if I have to. I need to see these videos. Maybe I need a certain plugin or something?

The links work fine. They are pretty bad examples trying to prove Buckner isnt good though. These exact type of plays happen all the time to Thomas, but Thomas was occupying blockers.

videos don't work for me either. I use google and safari as well.
Its just ridiculous. Buckner was pushed back in this gif and had two linemen on him. Meanwhile in the earlier Packer gif, two Packers completely flatten Buckner and throw him down like a rag doll.....yet he was occupying two blockers so it made it a good play for him.

Just absolutely laughable.

On Buckner's play vs the Lions that you seem to be referencing, he allowed the post blocker on a combo block to go through him like a hot knife through butter and wipe out the linebacker for what may have sprung a long, breakaway touchdown run if Ragnow hadn't screwed up his pulling block on Elijah Lee.

On Thomas's play, he tried to tie up a guard on a non-combo block, ultimately failed, and the Packers gained a whopping 3-4 yards.

You don't even know what you're looking at.

They both lost on those reps that's the point...you can't tell me one was "taking on a double" while the other was getting blown up by a double.

End of the day Buck actually makes plays while ST simply doesn't. Hopefully that changes.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With the emergence of Armstead, DJ Jones & addition of Bosa & Ford, I really don't see many opportunities for Thomas. I think his best chance to stay in the NFL is to get traded to a team that needs him & doesn't have the depth we do. Sometimes these things happen...I've seen lots of what were deemed "can't miss" prospects never reach the expectations they were drafted for.

I expect Lynch will be patient with him. Fans wanted Ward and AA dumped and now both are key parts of our defense. Lynch being patient paid off bigtime. Who knows with Solo if he takes that next step but no real reason to start breaking up the dline unless it's necessary to clear cap space. I think they have other ways of doing that though.
Originally posted by walker807:
I expect Lynch will be patient with him. Fans wanted Ward and AA dumped and now both are key parts of our defense. Lynch being patient paid off bigtime. Who knows with Solo if he takes that next step but no real reason to start breaking up the dline unless it's necessary to clear cap space. I think they have other ways of doing that though.

Difference being if we do lock up AA there's no reason to be patient with Solly. He'd have no chance to ever make it here. He'd he a depth piece and just not worth the price tag.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 27, 2019 at 6:11 AM ]

Being patient would also equal giving him the 5th yr option like they did with AA...you think they do that with ST? It's gonna be like $15m lol no way
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Being patient would also equal giving him the 5th yr option like they did with AA...you think they do that with ST? It's gonna be like $15m lol no way

That's two years away, I expect him to be on the roster next year and then either a cheap extension or FA for him. I'm with you, I dont think he gets his 5th year picked up unless he has an AA type year next year. Dline depth wins rings, Lynch knows this but Solo still needs to step up more if hes gonna be in the long term plans.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

That's two years away, I expect him to be on the roster next year and then either a cheap extension or FA for him. I'm with you, I dont think he gets his 5th year picked up unless he has an AA type year next year. Dline depth wins rings, Lynch knows this but Solo still needs to step up more if hes gonna be in the long term plans.

You made some good points here about patience. Us fans have very little and I'm one of many that wondered why the kept Ward. Now we are seeing what the coaches kept telling us. He is not only playing well now but Donte Whitner pointed out how valuable it is to have a guy like him that can play every position. I guess they felt that eventually his bad luck with injuries would even out.
I don't think his skill was the question here, it was the fact that the guy just could NOT stay healthy..

so let's keep our fingers crossed.

You have to put the 5th yr option on a guy after their 3rd season. Buck had the option put on him this past off season for 2020.

So it's not really two yrs away, it's this off season for ST
Share 49ersWebzone