49ers WR Deebo Samuel will miss 'a couple of weeks' with calf strain →

There are 206 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
You made some good points here about patience. Us fans have very little and I'm one of many that wondered why the kept Ward. Now we are seeing what the coaches kept telling us. He is not only playing well now but Donte Whitner pointed out how valuable it is to have a guy like him that can play every position. I guess they felt that eventually his bad luck with injuries would even out.

Patience is good, I'm always telling people in here to have some

My point is you're gonna have to know THIS off season if he's good enough to apply the option. If not he's got one more yr then a FA. I don't see how you can do that unless he all of a sudden turns into this monster DT the rest of the yr, unfortunately I don't see that happening.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Most of the gifs i watched show not just buck but everybody being blocked well. And hes being duble teamed. That last chunb run he tried to shoot the gap and opened up that hole for chubb. That's the only play where i can specially pinpoint him

He was being double teamed and then the post blocker peeled off and annihilated the linebacker. It's OK to get moved off the ball by a double team - everyone does. What's not OK is to then let the post blocker do whatever he wants. That's what springs runs. That's what the offense is looking for when they call combo blocks and block down.

On suspected running downs, as a defender, you start out responsible for a gap. If you are double teamed and can not maintain that gap, you have to make sure you don't allow either lineman to peel off in time on the linebacker (the key is the post blocker, as the drive blocker is less likely to have a good angle as he wasn't designed to hit the second level). The idea is whichever linebacker the post blocker doesn't reach will fill your gap - he'll be just one gap over.

Armstead was the one getting the heat last year on that run, but he may have actually been the key to preventing a touchdown (or much longer run) there. He impeded Frank Ragnow from hitting the kickout on Lee.
[ Edited by JustWin2019 on Nov 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM ]
Originally posted by JustWin2019:
Most of the gifs i watched show not just buck but everybody being blocked well. And hes being duble teamed. That last chunb run he tried to shoot the gap and opened up that hole for chubb. That's the only play where i can specially pinpoint him

He was being double teamed and then the post blocker peeled off and annihilated the linebacker. It's OK to get moved off the ball by a double team - everyone does. What's not OK is to then let the post blocker do whatever he wants. That's what springs runs. That's what the offense is looking for when they call combo blocks and block down.

On suspected running downs, as a defender, you start out responsible for a gap. If you are double teamed and can not maintain that gap, you have to make sure you don't allow either lineman to peel off in time on the linebacker (the key is the post blocker, as the drive blocker is less likely to have a good angle as he wasn't designed to hit the second level). The idea is whichever linebacker the post blocker doesn't reach will fill your gap - he'll be just one gap over.

Armstead was the one getting the heat last year on that run, but he may have actually been the key to preventing a touchdown (or much longer run) there. He impeded Frank Ragnow from hitting the kickout on Lee.

Damn dude..
Aren't you exhausted yet?

Your bellyaching on here won't give him more playin time..
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Damn dude..
Aren't you exhausted yet?

Your bellyaching on here won't give him more playin time..

Since it's Sollys burner account. Maybe he's trying to get fans on his side. Last time reporters kept asking about his playing time, they stuck him inside.
I think we can sign him the the league minimum
This guy is literally a ghost.

IMO...must give him one more year but man, so far not looking good for this dude at all.
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:

IMO...must give him one more year but man, so far not looking good for this dude at all.

You have to actively look for him to determine if he even played or not.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:

You have to actively look for him to determine if he even played or not.

That's because he's on the sidelines most downs. FYI.
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I expect Lynch will be patient with him. Fans wanted Ward and AA dumped and now both are key parts of our defense. Lynch being patient paid off bigtime. Who knows with Solo if he takes that next step but no real reason to start breaking up the dline unless it's necessary to clear cap space. I think they have other ways of doing that though.

Being patient would also equal giving him the 5th yr option like they did with AA...you think they do that with ST? It's gonna be like $15m lol no way

That's two years away, I expect him to be on the roster next year and then either a cheap extension or FA for him. I'm with you, I dont think he gets his 5th year picked up unless he has an AA type year next year. Dline depth wins rings, Lynch knows this but Solo still needs to step up more if hes gonna be in the long term plans.

You made some good points here about patience. Us fans have very little and I'm one of many that wondered why the kept Ward. Now we are seeing what the coaches kept telling us. He is not only playing well now but Donte Whitner pointed out how valuable it is to have a guy like him that can play every position. I guess they felt that eventually his bad luck with injuries would even out.

agree CatchMaster and solid post!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I expect Lynch will be patient with him. Fans wanted Ward and AA dumped and now both are key parts of our defense. Lynch being patient paid off bigtime. Who knows with Solo if he takes that next step but no real reason to start breaking up the dline unless it's necessary to clear cap space. I think they have other ways of doing that though.

Being patient would also equal giving him the 5th yr option like they did with AA...you think they do that with ST? It's gonna be like $15m lol no way

That's two years away, I expect him to be on the roster next year and then either a cheap extension or FA for him. I'm with you, I dont think he gets his 5th year picked up unless he has an AA type year next year. Dline depth wins rings, Lynch knows this but Solo still needs to step up more if hes gonna be in the long term plans.

agree CatchMaster and solid post!

Yep. Great post by CatchMaster. A lot of fans wanted Ward and Armstead dumped early on because they werent performing well in games, and Solomon Thomas fans are holding onto the idea that if we are just patient with him, his results could be the same as Ward/AA. But the hue difference is that coaches/front office kept RAVING about Ward and AA in practice, and now years later we are seeing those two produce. There is ZERO praise from coaches and front office in practice. At least publicly. Thats why the ST fans using AA/Ward as their examples is pretty silly to me. They arent the same situations at all.

Another huge difference is Ward and AA actually earned playing time during there struggles. This guy has been passed up on the depth chart by 3/4 other guys.
Difference between Ward and Solly as of now is one has 2 soon to be Pro Bowlers playing over him while the other got 59 opportunities because we said nah at finding another fs. Point being if AA is brought back his situation will never improve here. You might as well can him now. Ward gets chance after chance because fs just isn't that high on the priority list.
Another huge difference is Ward and AA actually earned playing time during there struggles. This guy has been passed up on the depth chart by 3/4 other guys.

Well that's bc we didn't have any players better then AA or Ward at the position, The 4 that are getting more playing time then Solly are flat out better.. but I understand what you're saying, as of now and I could only say as of now bc of AA, Solly is a big bust and bad pick, flat out screwed up on the 1st rd that year..
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Difference between Ward and Solly as of now is one has 2 soon to be Pro Bowlers playing over him while the other got 59 opportunities because we said nah at finding another fs. Point being if AA is brought back his situation will never improve here. You might as well can him now. Ward gets chance after chance because fs just isn't that high on the priority list.

I mean ST needs to take advantage of his snaps regardless. Other guys are (who aren't getting 70% of the snaps). He's been subpar going on 3 seasons.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Yep. Great post by CatchMaster. A lot of fans wanted Ward and Armstead dumped early on because they werent performing well in games, and Solomon Thomas fans are holding onto the idea that if we are just patient with him, his results could be the same as Ward/AA. But the hue difference is that coaches/front office kept RAVING about Ward and AA in practice, and now years later we are seeing those two produce. There is ZERO praise from coaches and front office in practice. At least publicly. Thats why the ST fans using AA/Ward as their examples is pretty silly to me. They arent the same situations at all.

This. It's not apples to apples. AA/Ward didn't play because they were hurt not because they showed zero on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone