There are 240 users in the forums

QB CJ Beathard - signs with Jacksonville

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I trust Shanny's judgement. And I stand amazed at how many people seem to think they know more about NFL QBs than Shanny.

This is where I'm at ^
I said in the draft thread that it's going to be somebody none of us have been talking about

Seriously if anyone thinks they know better Han Shanny please tell me why this was a bad pick
Well at least we'll have Cousins next year
Matt Maiocco‏Verified account @MaioccoNBCS 16s16 seconds agoMore

#49ers coach Kyle Shanahan: "By no means did we come into this draft thinking we're going to get a guy to compete with Brian (Hoyer)."
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Stupid to move up for this scrub

He would've been there tomorrow. No need to move up
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
nice... we got a undrafted free agent type in the 3rd round

Balkee
Originally posted by pepemontana:
At least his grandfather was a hell of a GM

Down the road the 9ers trade him to the Redskins where his grandfather is a legend as their replacement for Cousins.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Playaction half of the time in his college film

Yup. Heavy play-action and when he's given a clean pocket looks pretty good. Smooth over the top delivery, tall pocket passer. Consistency issues and erratic accuracy make him a backup QB who has a small chance to develop into a starter imo.
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by djgtek:
People were saying the same thing about tom Brady..

lol.....Beathard is a poor man's Ricky Stanzi though he somehow ended up being drafted earlier than the original.

I find it interesting that some would think they can evaluate what it takes to be an NFL QB better than Shanny.

It's really just crazy talk.

Does seem a reach. But why? Because we have been mock drafted to death for months.

Jury will be out for sure though.

Exactly. IMO, Shanny has earned the right to be given deference on this.

Why get mad?

Our Stud New HC who we hired, to (among other things) , get us some QB talent, just drafted us a QB.

Should t we be thrilled? Or at the very least, willing to let it play out before passing judgement?
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Just went from an A+ draft to a B IMO

Agreed. This seems like an old Al Davis pick outsmarting only himself. Joe Montana at 3rd round made sense since he atleast had won a National Championship. But this guy...
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I can see part of the appeal with Beathard. Pro-style QB. Good arm strength. Stands tall in the pocket.

However, wasn't overly impressed with his college career. At this point in the draft, you are taking a QB with some flaws. He has tools to work with but I see him strictly as a backup who's a long shot to become a starter. Not a fan of the pick tbh, but will have to defer to Shanahan's expertise on this one.

Cousins 2018

He was more impressive in '15. He had a lot of injuries to his receivers last year.

I would agree with that. Didn't take the big leap later in his college career that people hoped. He has some talent tho. His talent justifies a 3rd rd selection, just not sure about his performance.

Originally posted by pepemontana:
At least his grandfather was a hell of a GM

Down the road the 9ers trade him to the Redskins where his grandfather is a legend as their replacement for Cousins.

Lol
Originally posted by slowriot:
Nick Wagoner‏Verified account @nwagoner 5m5 minutes agoMore

To be clear, Kyle Shanahan said he believes Beathard can eventually develop to compete for starting job. Just not immediately.

Year 6 of Shanahans contract
John Lynch needs some sleep he's been up since 3am yesterday lol

The bro found his way back into this organization. That sneaky b*****d!

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by slowriot:
Nick Wagoner‏Verified account @nwagoner 5m5 minutes agoMore

To be clear, Kyle Shanahan said he believes Beathard can eventually develop to compete for starting job. Just not immediately.

Glad to hear Shanny say that about him. He trusts this kid can compete for the job in the near future.
Share 49ersWebzone